Classic Countdown Rankings

Another observation.

SCV '89 gets the most votes. SCV '88, the other Phantom of the Opera show, doesn't make the list, not even - correct me if I'm wrong - among the couple of dozen honorable mentions that preceded the top eight.

I understand that '89 won a championship. I still would have expected some more to pick the first show in the series. I know that several here have voiced their preference for that one over the championship show the next year. No love for '88?

HH

I think you're assuming that most of the voters have actually seen the '88 show ;). It could be that some people vote based on shows they've heard of...translation - shows that won usually stick out in people's minds more.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think DCI wanted to show off the state of the art by including the two '06 shows. Actually it's a pretty good idea.

BTW are we ever going to get a chance to rent the DVD's of this someday from Block Buster or NetFlicks?

Mom

Good point.

I was so upset with the selection of '89 SCV that I left the theater before it played. Never liked that show. I honestly consider it one of the worst championship shows. I would rather have seen '93 Star ranked over that. As Much as I despise that particular show I recognize the excellence of execution.

'88, to me, is the better Phantom show, and the epitome of what SCV is all about. Of course, I did grow sick of POTO that fall as it seemed that every other high school band played it. BTW, ever since '88 I thought SCV should change their corps song to Music of the Night.

I do not mind the two '06 shows in there. In time I believe the '06 edition of Regiment will be considered one of their signature shows. Machine is the best example of integrated show design I've seen. Everything had a purpose. There was nothing wasted.

'87 Garfield in 8th was a surprise. At Macarthur Center in Norfolk the sound was low at the beginning but was turnd up to an appropriate level for viewing drum corps a couple of minutes into the show.

This was my first complete viewing of '94 BD. It was a great show. My only complaint would be the arrangement of My Spanish Heart. Well played, but the emotion wasn't there for me. First example of monkey drumming. Great back then, but came to be overdone.

As mentioned previously I did not like Star. Wasn't a fan of it then, and even today I don't care for it. Their performance is to great to be ignored. Drumline was #### clean, but I would stop well short of calling them the greatest ever. The hornline . . . best two-valve hornline ever. Would have prefered '90 or '91.

Can't ever go wrong with the Bridgemen.

There are too many great shows in the history of drum corps to pick one as the absolute single greatest of all time. However . . . If someone held a gun to your head and told you to pick a greatest ever you would choose '95 Madison. At least, I would. That show never lets up from the beginning. It starts hard and just keeps on going. Even the ballad was intense. Next year, even though I will not be living in the US I would like to see '97 or '99 Madison in there.

That's cool.

I have the videos that I never watched so what's the point?

Nothing against the Bridgemen but that show is kind of cringe embarrassing nowadays. I thought so last year at the theater.

Um, you're by yourself when you watch the videos?

I have all the videos, too. I guess it's just a personal preference thing, nothing wrong with that.

Personally, I enjoy listening to the Bridgemen a lot more than watching them, but there is a historical perspective. As they pointed out, there was a lot of things happening in that show which became commonplace in the future.

I think you're assuming that most of the voters have actually seen the '88 show ;). It could be that some people vote based on shows they've heard of...translation - shows that won usually stick out in people's minds more.

I have to agree.

89 gets the love because it won, but 88 has probably never been seen by many.

I did vote for 88 in the first round of voting.

All the corps got applause except 89 SCV, not a single person. everyone just got up and left.

I would like to think it was because everyone saw it 2 years ago.

While I prefer 88, 89 is no slouch either.

All in all it was a fun evening.

Man, I gotta agree that the '95 Madison show was just friggin' entertainment and "hardcorps" drum corps from the start. I had nothing to do with that show other being an alumni ... so from just a drum corps fan standpoint, every time I see it I am blown away and in awe. How great that show must have been to perform... :lol:

I loved BOTH showings of Cav's and PR from last year, and they were surprisingly still fresh in my mind. One girl in the theater was having a PR emotional meltdown as the '06 PR show was being shown... :P her passion for PR was pretty obvious and obviously heartfelt. But I have to agree with those that say maybe the "classics" should be only voted in after 5 years or so pass from that show. Then you could have a good idea of what shows people really DO remember as being "classic."

There were some great shows back in the mid 70's and early 80's that should be "classic's" IMHO... Madison '81, SCV '82 (very under rated show IMO), '78 Bridgemen, '79 Guardsmen, '84 (I think) Suncoast Sound, and many others that are "classic worthy." I also agree that some of those shows do look a little rough and maybe funny comparitively by todays standards, but it was what was "cutting edge" back then.

I had a good time and didn't have a problem with the choices...although I am one of those

who liked 88 SCV better than 89...still it was great to see that wonderful melodic show again.

Of course, my personal favorite was 95 Madison. 87 Garfield and 93 Star tie for 2nd.

I was surprised by the low attendance. There were only about 25 maybe 30 people.

I wonder if there were better turn outs at the other 2 Denver theatres.

Edited by madalumni