Phantom 96, the Guard!

The reason the visual from Phantom 96 is given such a beating is everything was so understated and elegant, not in your face "Look at me!" corps and guard visuals. This was the first drum corps performance where I truly understood and appreciated the effect of a subtle and understated show.

The guard was simply stunning, and I agree with those above that say the concept, style and costuming fit the show to a "T."

The work on equipment was difficult, and not as simplistic as some of the following years. Alot of things have been copied in various formats from just the guard's performance alone, from some of the work to the use of plain blood red silks (guardie term for flag) to the "flashbulb" effect of the plain silver poles. Other "top" guards from that year, or any other year for that matter, can't say they have been copied over & over and have had such an impact on color guard in general over the years.

From an emotional standpoint, you can clearly see it in the girls faces. Something I did not see again until 2003.

A guard that is one of the very best in DCI history, IMO.

Edited by garfield_cadets

what I loved most about this guard is how they staged impact points differently.

The most overwhelming one was the first big hit in the opener where one solo flag member "Went to town" with her flag while rest rest of the guard just stood still in the background. One of the best effects I've ever seen!

To me, although their weapon work was a little easier than most, the flawless flag line more than made up for it. One of the cleanest flag lines I've ever seen - just look at the final toss in the closer with the yellow flags - simply amazing!

Later,

Mike

Thanks everyone for your comments.

I have to say that if I could pick one show I missed live to go back in a time machine and see, this would be the one.

I certainly can't tell everything from the DVD but it does seem that the drill fit the music, which is important to me.

I'd also rather see gaurd work done well with good precision even if that means it's not quite as difficult. There's nothing like a good unison slap when the rifles are caught together!

As for the red dresses, sometimes less is more. Simple but elegant.

• 11 months later...
Phantom's guard in finals in 96 was stunning. I wasn't on the field. But from where I was (in the upper part of the lower level.... around the 30... I think) they were practically impeccable that night.

I bet somebody will get out their slide rule and calculator and argue with me. But for me, it will always be one of the most "ON" guard performances I've ever seen live. I'm convinced it had much to do with them winning because that element just helped create a top notch feeling that night. The whole package just seemed to click together.

I agree!! Their color guard and the rest of the corps were on point that night.

The reason the visual from Phantom 96 is given such a beating is everything was so understated and elegant, not in your face "Look at me!" corps and guard visuals. This was the first drum corps performance where I truly understood and appreciated the effect of a subtle and understated show.

And today, that show would probably not even make finals, sad to say. If you're not "high, faster" you've got no shot. That's too bad.

RM