Phantom 96, the Guard!

Most people talk about Phantom 96 in reference to the great hornline, no problem there.

They also talk about the visual program as the weak part of the show.

I never got to see this show live. Because of grad school I didn't see any DC that summer. :( So my only reference is the legacy DVD.

First I have to say the it's the only show I've seen on video only (not live) that gives me chills!!!

The video really doesn't show much of the guard very well (especially the weapons work) but what it does show looks like that was a really good guard but I don't remember people saying much about it.

So your memories of the 96 guard.

Phantom's guard in finals in 96 was stunning. I wasn't on the field. But from where I was (in the upper part of the lower level.... around the 30... I think) they were practically impeccable that night.

I bet somebody will get out their slide rule and calculator and argue with me. But for me, it will always be one of the most "ON" guard performances I've ever seen live. I'm convinced it had much to do with them winning because that element just helped create a top notch feeling that night. The whole package just seemed to click together.

Beautiful girls, and the simple red dresses were very effective. Loved it.

I saw them at Manning Bowl early in the season at the Crusader's home show and remarked that "This is the year!!!". The starkness of the drill was amazing, and the only color - the guard -was introduced somewhat late into the opening - and was dazzling. By the time they got to Orlando, the guard was such a HUGE part of the presentation that I knew they were a serious contender for the title. I rarely buy corps t-shirts (I'm poor), but finals night I was wearing a Phantom Tee.

GREAT GUARD! Phantom's guard always impresses me. From the days of the "Rockford File" up until today when they define elegance on the field. 1996 was, in a word, stunning. :rock:

Like the above poster, I've been a fan of Phatom's guards since the days of the Rockford File. Too bad they've chosen to go the way of everyone else -- down the co-ed path. I truly enjoyed the unique feminine sophistication of the all-girl guard.

Phantom's guard in 1996 is amazing!! WOW *and they continued that excellence into 1997*. Does anyone know how they placed that night? I know the Cadets won guard in 1996, but how did Phantom stack up?

Those dresses were just perfect! I don't think there's ever been another uniform that is just so perfect for a program. Smart. Elegant. Gorgeous.

Beautiful girls, and the simple red dresses were very effective. Loved it.

Thank you. My wife was psyched to see PR '96 on DVD. The guard wore the same color and style of our bride's maids' dresses from our weeding in 2004. No, I didn't notice. :rock: I'm a guy.

Phantom's guard in 1996 is amazing!! WOW *and they continued that excellence into 1997*. Does anyone know how they placed that night? I know the Cadets won guard in 1996, but how did Phantom stack up?

Those dresses were just perfect! I don't think there's ever been another uniform that is just so perfect for a program. Smart. Elegant. Gorgeous.

Looks like the guard score didn't count towards the overall score/placement in 97. However, here's how the guards ranked in 97 (link)

1997 Corps vs. Guard placement

• Blue Devils
    Corps Placement 1st - Guard Placement 1st ( 9.9)
  • Cadets of B. C.
    Corps Placement 2nd - Guard Placement 2nd (9.8)
  • S. C. Vanguard
    Corps Placement 3rd - Guard Placement 3rd (9.6)
  • Phantom Regiment
    Corps Placement 4th - Guard Placement 4th (9.5)
  • Crossmen
    Corps Placement 6th - Guard Placement 5th (9.4)
  • Cavaliers
    Corps Placement 7th -Guard Placement 6th (9.3)
  • Madison Scouts
    Corps Placement 5th - Guard Placement 7th (9.1)
  • Carolina Crown
    Corps Placement 12th - Guard Placement 8th (9.0)
  • Glassmen
    Corps Placement 8th - Guard Placement 9th (8.8)
  • Bluecoats
    Corps Placement 11th - Guard Placement 10th (8.6)
  • Blue Knights
    Corps Placement 9th - Guard Placement 11th (8.4)
  • Magic of Orlando
    Corps Placement 10th - Guard Placement 12th (8.3)

96 Recap went like this:

SCORE GUARD

BLUE 97.4 (9.7) 2nd

DEVILS

PHANTOM 97.4 (9.4) 4th

REGIMENT

CADETS 96.9 (9.8) 1st

CAVALIERS 93.8 (9.6) 3rd

VANGUARD 92.3 (9.2) 5th

MADISON 91.5 (8.9) 7th

SCOUTS

BLUECOATS 86.3 (8.7) 8th