Drugs in drum corps

Actually, I did some research on this in grad school and there are specific receptors in the brain that are stimulated by marijuana and create the desire to want it more. It is a physical addiction in the brain.

I believe this. I work with a guy who claims he cant go to sleep at night without smoking some marijuana. <**>

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, I don't think I saved the paper I wrote that cited the reference. I remember being quite surprised because I too, thought it was not physically addictive. I'll look around and if I find the paper, I will cite the source for you.

The problem with using just one source, however, is that with issues like marijuana there's about a billion studies for and a billion studies against.

My senior year of high school I took AP American Government, and my teacher was a young girl fresh from working in DC who had a husband who was in the medical field. Her father was also in the medical field. One day legalization of marijuana came up and she told us that her husband (for legalization) and her father (against it) would often sit for hours throwing studies at each other that supported their cause and refuted the others. The bottom line is that there is no definitive answer, you kind of have to look at the entire body of research for both sides and see which has the most supporting evidence and then go with that.

The problem with using just one source, however, is that with issues like marijuana there's about a billion studies for and a billion studies against.

My senior year of high school I took AP American Government, and my teacher was a young girl fresh from working in DC who had a husband who was in the medical field. Her father was also in the medical field. One day legalization of marijuana came up and she told us that her husband (for legalization) and her father (against it) would often sit for hours throwing studies at each other that supported their cause and refuted the others. The bottom line is that there is no definitive answer, you kind of have to look at the entire body of research for both sides and see which has the most supporting evidence and then go with that.

I did my own 15 year study. The results were quite conclusive. It was really, really stupid and the only thing it cured me of was overachieving. :worthy:

I did my own 15 year study. The results were quite conclusive. It was really, really stupid and the only thing it cured me of was overachieving. :worthy:

Hahahahahahaa, good one.

b**bs

But seriously, that's why I don't do it. I don't think it's bad for you...I just know too many potheads who do nothing with their lives. I don't wanna be like that.

I was going to pass this thread by. However, this opportunity is one that demands to be addressed.

Over the years many of my friends and peers have be forced to fall into the category of drug user. I too have the need to self medicate. Between the blood pressure, arthritis, blood thinners, pain killers and other drugs it becomes a necessity in order to march and/or perform........oh, what you say???? Not those kinds of drugs????

Nevermind!!!! :sshh:

JImbalaya

DCI is set to provide a healthy environment for children and young adults to express their talent and help educate them in this specific idiom. Not raise your children.

The responsibility of drug education lies with the parent, prior to giving them the privilege to march in any corps.

You want a child drug tested? Test your own kids in your own home.

You want to search personal property? Search your own kid. (there are laws to prevent any of you from searching others)

Why not leave an activity like this one to teach music and art, YOU take care of the drug education and social misgivings of your own children!

If you think your kids need a life of drug testing and searching, then you need to keep them home with you or send them to a boot camp.

OR should we have our favorite drum corps deal with other young people "epidemics"

Any one vote for Teen Sex? Or Racism? Should DCI test for STD’s

Oh, and if it has become that unsafe since I marched........ Do the right thing and keep your kids away

Yes you're right in that the responsibility lies within the parents educating, but this is not the "end all" prevention tool as you all know. It's easy to put the blame on the parents isn't it? You can be the best parent in the world, have the brightest kid in the world and they can know the difference between legal and illegal... but in the end, when it comes down to peer pressure, how is a parent gonna compete with that?

C'mon you know as well as I do, you can't put the full blame of this one on the parents. Sometimes kids are curious. Like I said, they can be the best and educated kid in the world and still fall into the trap of trying it just to "be cool". So there is a responsibility within the activity as well. And as far as I can tell they are doing their job as best as they can, (the activity).

There is a responsibility with each individual as well. You have to remember you have kids mixing in with young adults in this activity, so I would hold a higher standard to the young adults by them setting examples.

Nobody should be blaming anybody, there should be ways to address the problem without fear of lawsuits or the activity being shut down.

Edited by Lancerlady

I just can't believe drum corps has come to this. That is why I left competitive drum corps and now march to serve our country.

Meta studies can help shed light on issues. So can studies that fail to produce the same results as similar studies. I wrote the paper over a decade ago and there could have been newer research that shows otherwise. I'm just reporting what I read that shows there is some evidence that there is a physical addiction with these specific receptor cells in the brain.