Drugs in drum corps

First, I want to apologize for doing it this way, but I figured it'd be the easiest way to do this without having to chop apart the entire thread, which is what I would have had to do.

Feel free to discuss this topic, but I will add this disclaimer. I and the rest of the moderation team will not hesitate to close this thread if the following occurs:

- condoning of the use of drugs occurs in a post

- name dropping of drum corps occurs in a post

- any form of mocking of the disclaimer occurs in a post.

Please utilize this thread as a discussion of a potential problem with ideas on how to make it have a positive ending. There was some really great discussion on this topic yesterday, but there was also some harmful discussion on this topic.

Thanks.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, I want to apologize for doing it this way, but I figured it'd be the easiest way to do this without having to chop apart the entire thread, which is what I would have had to do.

Feel free to discuss this topic, but I will add this disclaimer. I and the rest of the moderation team will not hesitate to close this thread if the following occurs:

- condoning of the use of drugs occurs in a post

- name dropping of drum corps occurs in a post

- any form of mocking of the disclaimer occurs in a post.

Please utilize this thread as a discussion of a potential problem with ideas on how to make it have a positive ending. There was some really great discussion on this topic yesterday, but there was also some harmful discussion on this topic.

Thanks.

Yea Jami!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As I said in the previous thread, DCI policy should include the right to search personal belongings. I heard some people turn this into drug testing, which I agree would be too costly. However, the threat of a search at any given time in any given place may be a good hindrance. It's a start.

Yea Jami!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As I said in the previous thread, DCI policy should include the right to search personal belongings. I heard some people turn this into drug testing, which I agree would be too costly. However, the threat of a search at any given time in any given place may be a good hindrance. It's a start.

I still think giving the corps the right to randomly search suitcases is a bad idea. Maybe if there was some sort of probable cause clause it might be better, but it still seems like an invasion of privacy.

Also Jami, If any of us who want this thread to survive and thrive see a post that breaks the rules laid out in the disclaimer, can we somehow save the thread by informing management and having the individual post, instead of the whole thread, removed? And if we can do that, how do we do that? I'm new to the whole "message board" thing and don't know a lot of the technical aspects.

I still think giving the corps the right to randomly search suitcases is a bad idea. Maybe if there was some sort of probable cause clause it might be better, but it still seems like an invasion of privacy.

It's most definitely an invasion of privacy, but so is living on a bus and in gyms with 150 other people. If it is clearly stated from day one and in the membership information and contract, then the prospective member has a choice to comply or not.

Oh great, now what did I say on that other thread? :(

Seriously, good way to hopefully get something good from an earlier mess.

And can anyone post what were the results of the poll of the other thread. Because I didn't vote I have no idea.

Hmmm which reminds me.... have to remember not to take my morning drug (Mycardis/HCTZ) Saturday before our parade. Not great for my blood pressure (Mycardis) to take it late in the day but it's a long way from the bathroom when the HCTZ kicks in.

It should be part of the contract that illegal behaviors will not be tolerated; and that members are subject to possession search on tour as the situation warrants. This is not like the cellphone issue due to potential legal and financial liabilities that can be placed on the entire group if even one person on a bus is found holding. (This would include immediate removal from the group; and if warranted, remanded to local authorities.)

In this area, zero-tolerance should be expected. And...I do firmly believe that any member who on their off-time is doing some of these things during the season could potentially harm their own performance abilities. At the very least that should be addressed. And if certain members are not able to abide by that; then they should become ex-members.

Also Jami, If any of us who want this thread to survive and thrive see a post that breaks the rules laid out in the disclaimer, can we somehow save the thread by informing management and having the individual post, instead of the whole thread, removed? And if we can do that, how do we do that? I'm new to the whole "message board" thing and don't know a lot of the technical aspects.

Yes Jeff. Simply press the report button underneath that post so that a member of the moderation team can review it. :)

It's most definitely an invasion of privacy, but so is living on a bus and in gyms with 150 other people. If it is clearly stated from day one and in the membership information and contract, then the prospective member has a choice to comply or not.

This is a voluntary activity...and therefore not subject to IOP standards. Of course, there are limits as to what will be accepted in an adult group before you cross the line with the members; but this is a 'youth' activity; and the standard of protection must be higher.

The one thing I feared the worst about yesterdays thread as I saw it grow was the underlying use of the word "epidemic."

I felt it was irresponsible at best to even IMPLY we are suffering an "epidemic" of drug use in this activity when there is NO PROOF whatsoever of that being the case. I also believe that on an individual corps basis, if there are people who have problems with using of any sort and it's that obvious, the corps director or caption head might intercede with that person and look for ways to help that individual privately and without humiliation or recrimination.

Before we here in this forum begin to "explode" a hot topic issue like this, we need to look at it from all angles and perspectives, not just an "I know a guy who is doing this all the time" or "I heard once that the whole euph line from so and so was doing whatever."

For those of us who did grow up through the '70's and '80's... please try to remember your OWN exposure to these things being discussed here and think back to your own decisions and judgement back in those days, and try not to expect any MORE from the kids today. While I do NOT in any way want to shrug my shoulders and say "well, whatever..." about a subject like this and say "what are we gonna do about it?" ... I would rather say have the confidence that these kids are smarter and more knowledgable these days of stuff like this than we were back in then, and I would say that the vast majority of them make the right decisions in the long run.

We can't hold their hands through EVERY experience that will come their way when it comes to a choice that will have to be made by THEM... we can only hope that we've had a decent open dialogue with them to feel confident that they know the ramifications of their choices.