Favorite Freelancer year?

Favorite Freelancer Year  

85 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite year of the Freelancers

Thought I should share:

The Freelancers Alumni hornline played at our 75th Anniversary this past Saturday. We performed a number of classics including Recuerdos, Malaga and Bellavia. We also played John Zimny's arrangement of Taps for all the Freelancers who are no longer with us--which was also played at Col. Crawford's funeral a few years back.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This one is for GMichael...

Thanks for all the kind words about 87. I personally never realised exactly WAHT we accomplished until many years later. Looking back that corps was SOOOOOOOooooooooooooo young it was scary.... That said, that corps was the foundation of 89-91 and 92 to a brief extent. The neat thing about that particular corps was that we did not have a bloody clue about drum corps. We had a bunch of young doe eyed kids that hung on every word that John and Paul Zimny told us. We had Mike Grogan and Geach to give us a tangible link with the corps recent history and glory years. They were our mentors if you will. Had John, Paul, Mike, Mike or Mike (anyone remember the "House of Mike" down Florin Road?) told us to march through fire we probably would because we did not know any better. We set off on first tour with half a hornline and about 5 minutes of drill learned. We went to LA (Compton or Corona High School as I recall) spent 2 weeks there, and pinched most of Arizona Sun when their tour finished. Back up to Sac and a few Blue Devils B guys later... voila! A drum corps! We still did not have a clue but we were aggressive and loud. We managed to learn the rest of the show and off we went. As I recall, the "Born Again" tour could have just as easily been named the "Interstate" tour as due to not having any money we never really stayed that far from I-80! Interesting memories from that year would have to be our rather intense rivalry with the Marauders (I dont think we ever beat them though), beating the Colts and Blue Knights. Winning a show (by about 20 points over the Bridgemen) was neat (Thank you to the Garfield Cadets for not showing up due to a mechanical problem). And what 1987 vet could forget our magic number.......SIXTY FRICKEN SEVEN!! Good memories and good friends.

I know this is bias, and even that I can't make up my mind between 89 and 91. Those two shows were my favorite to perform.

For years I didnt march, I cant make up my mind on that either between 84 and 88. "What is Hip" was a great tune in 84. The "ET" and "Return of the Jedi" music in 88 was great also.

Gotta give a special shout out to 88 for marching 11 snares, something we dont see that often anymore.