Favorite Freelancer year?

Favorite Freelancer Year  

85 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite year of the Freelancers

Also looking for the lost years of 86 and 95, if any recordings exist.

The Freelancers geek,

umm..there was no 95. We came out in 95 doing Jesus Christ Superstar, but the corps was folded right at Memorial Day camp. In fact, if memory serves me, that weekend was my first Freelancer Camp....and the corps folded. So the guard stuck around and started a summer program to get ready for winterguard.....we had music, uniform, and prop designs and a show concepts...and started learning work and drill...Then that was folded on us as well after a few weekends of camps. Sadly, it was another 2 years before I got a chance to march with them again, my ageout year when we DID go to WGI.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

umm..there was no 95. We came out in 95 doing Jesus Christ Superstar, but the corps was folded right at Memorial Day camp. In fact, if memory serves me, that weekend was my first Freelancer Camp....and the corps folded. So the guard stuck around and started a summer program to get ready for winterguard.....we had music, uniform, and prop designs and a show concepts...and started learning work and drill...Then that was folded on us as well after a few weekends of camps. Sadly, it was another 2 years before I got a chance to march with them again, my ageout year when we DID go to WGI.

Hi Stu,

I'm talking about camp recordings actually--hence "lost years". In the eyes and memories of almost everybody, there was no 86 either, but surely something happened, and maybe there are recordings out there.

Hey Dave, I don't think we have any recordings from 95. We never made it to a first camp that season so I don't think we even started any music.

Thanks for the clarification, Dan. PM me!!!!

Hey Stu! How the #### can you afford to fly out to Chops? Do you still work for the state? :angry2:

I see Carl lurking. :P

My favorite Freelancers year was 1982. The horn book that year was great. I loved Sunshine as th OTL, and certainly had a blast with Genji. Up to that point, for the years I had marched, it was the best horn line.

Truthfully, I actually had a hard time picking a single year because I loved 81 - 83. '81 is on my favorites list because of the raw emotion and determination to make it back into the top 12. In '78 we missed the top 12 by 0.65 to the Kilities after having beaten them all season. '79 we had an identity crisis and ended up 14th. :grouphug::huh: Throughout '80 we were contending and tussling with the corps in the 12 and 13 spots. We went on early morning for prelims, only to wind up in 19th. So once we made 12th in prelims of '81 we had nothing to loose for the night show in finals, and that is exactly what the staff had told us before we went on. So the night show was electric, and sure enough we moved up a spot to 11th, beating the Troopers. Not only that I really loved Malaga. :blink: '83 was on the list because, once again great horn book and horn line. It was my age out year and I had a great time. That night I said it all, "We've got something you're really gonna like....Here it is ..... do you like it?" B)

how could I be the only one who voted '77? I mean COME ON... that awesome 11 man snare line?? That complex show? The awesome uniforms?? That awesome guard? Wasn't Zimny drum major? The name "Freelancers" (one of the coolest names EVER in the history of the entire drum corps universe?)

whats up whats up??? :grouphug:

1977 Does hold a special spot for me. Bellavia was our signature closer, it still stirs me up when I hear it. As far as the drumline, TOTALLY awesome. If memory serves me correctly, we lost high drums at Finals by 0.2, two lousy ticks.

'83 was on the list because, once again great horn book and horn line. It was my age out year and I had a great time. That night I said it all, "We've got something you're really gonna like....Here it is ..... do you like it?" B)
After all these years, that is still one of my favorite DCI moments. Thanks! You were also a great DM to watch. Not too shabby of a bari, either. B)

After all these years, that is still one of my favorite DCI moments. Thanks! You were also a great DM to watch. Not too shabby of a bari, either. B)

Believe it or not I did not remember that phrase even made it on the recordings. Until last year, I had not heard '83 Freelancers since Sept./Oct of '83. Someone from the Kinsgmen Alumni Corps brought it to my attention at rehearsal. I had forgotten that I had even said it.

Well, if you are interested, here is a bit of trivia about the way that 'Shout out' came into being. The push in "Even Now" was always so powerful so I originally starting turning to the crowd to give them a look of "Hey, check this out" B) . However, our horn instructor told me that the half turn that I was doing with a glance, over my shoulder at the crowd, looked as though I was angry with someone in the stands. Well, so as not to have my intentions misunderstood, I did a full turn and smiled and held my arm out and presented the corps. Then after doing it a few times, I thought "Wow, they seem to like that, maybe I can milk it and get some extra GE points out of it. Sooo...I decided to verbalize exactly what I was trying to communicate, and that's what you hear on the recordings.

Thanks for saying I was not too shabby on the bari. Without trying to sound puffed up. My two favorite baritone solos that I played were in '80, in "Sambandera Swing" and in '81 in "Malaga". My least favorite was what I played in '83 during concert. <**> . The most frightening were in '78, at the end of "I've got Rhythm" and the Baritone Quartet in Sabre Dance. I was 15 and so afraid that I would mess up for all time sake.