Rifle Technique Question

When teaching rifle members basic technique such as flips, singles, spins, ect... What is a good tip/suggestion to stop the rifle from turning/rotating/twisting in the air. I know it has to do with several things like the amount/strength of grip, release, twisting wrist, ect.. but, how do I suggest fixing it?

Thanks!

Tell them to NOT wrap the thumb. Press it up against the back of the rifle. This "should" help. It works for my kids anyway.

I know on sabre it does that because there is not equal force being used with the right hand, same for rifle.....make sure they are pushing down with the right hand on the toss. Also make sure they aren't twisting their hand weird or suddenly right before the release.

And push that left thumb against the back of the barrel of the gun too.

Would tossing against a wall give them the feeling they need to correct what each might be doing wrong or would that be too dangerous if they are beginners?

I don't remember as a beginner that happening but I believe the thumb was flat against the rifle, in other words not gripping with the left thumb. Don't know if this helps.

There should be like 10 other ways to get the spin in the air not twist but right now my mind is a blank. I will try to remember.

Good luck!

Show them where the exact point when the rifle leaves the hands is. Some people assume since a lot of free hands are straight up the rifle leaves your hands when your fingers are up, but that's a physical impossibility haha. Maybe clarifying that could help.

It's all in the wrist.

Make sure they hit a solid dip and squeeze the rifle before releasing.

Watch their hands on the release. Watch their shoulders and elbows on the trajectory into the release as well. If wrists pop forward or backward, they lead with their elbows in an outward arc away from the body, or pull their shoulders, they'll probably have pitch and twisting problems w/the rifle.

Have them practice going to the release point w/out letting go. Have them "air rifle" so they understand how their bodies should move. Increase their wrist strength through repetitions of spins, flourishes, etc. Make sure they are isolating appropriate muscle groups.

Hope that helps.

Make sure they hit a solid dip and squeeze the rifle before releasing.

Watch their hands on the release. Watch their shoulders and elbows on the trajectory into the release as well. If wrists pop forward or backward, they lead with their elbows in an outward arc away from the body, or pull their shoulders, they'll probably have pitch and twisting problems w/the rifle.

Have them practice going to the release point w/out letting go. Have them "air rifle" so they understand how their bodies should move. Increase their wrist strength through repetitions of spins, flourishes, etc. Make sure they are isolating appropriate muscle groups.

Hope that helps.

its not worth all that!...just have them stay on flag, they obviously cant do rifle!