Olympics

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe it's just me (wouldn't be the first time), but I think an activity like indoor color guard would stand a FAR better chance at making it into the Olympics than drum corps does. And even that chance is slim.

They already have dancing and rythmic gymnastics as an event. a WGI event would not be any different than rythmic gymnastic except for the size of the team.

Climbing, bridge, golf, roller skating and surfing are sports that are recognised by the International Olympic Committee (IOC).
Just so you can get a laugh at these sports that are in exhibition right now.

They already have dancing and rythmic gymnastics as an event. a WGI event would not be any different than rythmic gymnastic except for the size of the team.

Yeah they do. I don't care. I'm just saying the chances are more likely that something like indoor color guard would get in than drum corps, in my opinion. And neither has a snowball's chance in....

Yeah they do. I don't care. I'm just saying the chances are more likely that something like indoor color guard would get in than drum corps, in my opinion. And neither has a snowball's chance in....
I wasn't disagreeing with what you said. I also think a WGI-type group would have a snowball chance of getting recognized. I'm just saying that stranger events have made it into the Olympics. :lol:

I saw the surfing is one of the exhibition events. If Chicago get's the nod for the Olympics, last I checked the Great Lakes doesn't have the waves like Hawaii. :P

Edited by sburstall

I guess the big difference is that this International Circuit would have to be a professional group (they get paid) instead of group of amatures (they pay to march).

Agreed, much like how American football and hockey are becoming international events.

I don't agree that it would HAVE to be paid performers, but I DO like the idea. Think about it--if there were a professional drum corps league of some sort, how many marching band-O's would IMMEDIATELY take notice--hmmm??? "Wow, you mean I would get PAID to march and play?" Yeah, fatso, get off your butt, get off the couch, get off the Xbox and get in drum corps. I think you'd probably immediately see a reversal of trend of corps going away b/c so many band-O's and their parents would want their kids trying out for the pro league. All that to make $20k a year.

Maybe it's just me (wouldn't be the first time), but I think an activity like indoor color guard would stand a FAR better chance at making it into the Olympics than drum corps does. And even that chance is slim.

Why do you guys say that? Because we're carrying tenor drums and not a baton in the 4x100? Because we're tossing rifles and not footballs? Because we're wearing Dinkles and not the latest high-tech NB running shoes? I think there have been some studies that have shown pretty definitively that the average DC member is pretty well in as good of shape as just about any athlete in the college ranks. Especially the brass players who have to not only do all the physical stuff but have to regulate their breath at the same time they are losing it in order to play their instruments at a very high level. Not to take anything from percussionists lugging an extra 30+ pounds all summer!

I wasn't disagreeing with what you said. I also think a WGI-type group would have a snowball chance of getting recognized. I'm just saying that stranger events have made it into the Olympics. :blush:

I saw the surfing is one of the exhibition events. If Chicago get's the nod for the Olympics, last I checked the Great Lakes doesn't have the waves like Hawaii. :P

C'mon, creativity, remember? Stick a wave machine in the lake and Voila--a brand new use for the Golden Coast! (Isn't that what the beach is called?) Probably unnatural and bad for the erosion of the coastline (ha-ha--have you ever seen the levies they built? Pretty unnatural).

I still think the Olympics would be great. But just to go off on someone else's suggestion, World Cup Soccer is a pretty big deal, too! The logistics of hosting an Olympics is already a major undertaking. By comparison, adding a DC competition would not be that big a deal. I'm sure that the same people who pull off Finals, the ESPN2 broadcast, etc would be very helpful in making an Olympic performance a success. And it's not like the field isn't already getting torn to heck by the soccer, etc sports. But a World Cup or World Baseball Classic-type event would be pretty cool, too. Rotate between Japan, the US, Canada, Europe, and maybe add China in order to introduce the activity and grow appeal there. Opportunity to represent your country Internationally every now and then!

Much better commentary the last couple pages--I'm sure the original poster appreciates your input more than criticism! Hats off to you all.

To be included on the Olympic Games program, Olympic sports must conform to the following criteria:

1. Olympic sports widely practiced by men must be played in at least 75 countries on four continents; and by women in at least 40 countries on three continents.

2. To be added to the Olympic Winter Games program, a sport must be practised widely in at least 25 countries on three continents.

You're seriously telling me that every sport in the olympics meets these requirements? Curling anyone??? Or what about that crazy cross-country skiing event,where they shoot targets at various stations?

Edited by raphael18

You're seriously telling me that every sport in the olympics meets these requirements? Curling anyone??? Or what about that crazy cross-country skiing event,where they shoot targets at various stations?

I'm sure they do curling a tiny bit somewhere in Asia... that would make 3 continents.

And it's called Biathalon. From a physical demand standpoint it's kinda like drum corps. Ski, ski, ski, get your heart rate sky high, and then STOP, and shoot at targets, which requires an incredible amount of calm and steadiness. Then repeat.

I think that we as an activity are better off staying out of the Olympics anyway. Why risk our reputation. :P

Curling is awesome B)