Olympics

You're seriously telling me that every sport in the olympics meets these requirements? Curling anyone??? Or what about that crazy cross-country skiing event,where they shoot targets at various stations?

Curling is played all over Europe, Europe has over 50 countries so just half of those would cover the 25 countries part.

It is also played in North America, Asia (China, Japan, and Korea), and Australia so that is 4 continents.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do you guys say that? Because we're carrying tenor drums and not a baton in the 4x100? Because we're tossing rifles and not footballs? Because we're wearing Dinkles and not the latest high-tech NB running shoes? I think there have been some studies that have shown pretty definitively that the average DC member is pretty well in as good of shape as just about any athlete in the college ranks. Especially the brass players who have to not only do all the physical stuff but have to regulate their breath at the same time they are losing it in order to play their instruments at a very high level. Not to take anything from percussionists lugging an extra 30+ pounds all summer!

You're getting into a sidetrack discussion that really doesn't belong in this thread: is drum corps a sport or not. Those types of threads have gone on for days and days around here. The reason I said that it's far more likely that we see something like indoor color guard become an Olympic sport rather than drum corps is pretty simple. What they are doing already has a precedent in the Olympic Games. They are performing feats of athletic skill while interpreting pre-recorded music. Not unlike certain elements of gymnastics and figure skating. Where drum corps diverges from that is that the participants are required to perform live music. Some would argue that such a thing is more difficult, and I don't disagree. But that's not the point of whether or not an activity is Olympic material or not. The entire concept of a live musical performance competition does not and has never existed in the Olympic Games to the best of my knowledge. The live music aspect takes drum corps to a different place, in my opinion.

You're seriously telling me that every sport in the olympics meets these requirements? Curling anyone??? Or what about that crazy cross-country skiing event,where they shoot targets at various stations?

Uhh, yes. That's what I'm telling you. If they are officially recognized sports in the Olympics, then they have met that criteria set forth by the IOC.

How would you propose picking the US drum corps team for the Olympics? Eliminate all Canadian corps and use the DCI finals as a national championship event? Create an "all star" corps with the top players from all DCI Corps? What about military corps -- would they be able to compete as a unit or individually?

Edited by Tusayan

How would you propose picking the US drum corps team for the Olympics? Eliminate all Canadian corps and use the DCI finals as a national championship event? Create an "all star" corps with the top players from all DCI Corps? What about military corps -- would they be able to compete as a unit or individually?

Hold an audition.

You're getting into a sidetrack discussion that really doesn't belong in this thread: is drum corps a sport or not. Those types of threads have gone on for days and days around here. The reason I said that it's far more likely that we see something like indoor color guard become an Olympic sport rather than drum corps is pretty simple. What they are doing already has a precedent in the Olympic Games. They are performing feats of athletic skill while interpreting pre-recorded music. Not unlike certain elements of gymnastics and figure skating. Where drum corps diverges from that is that the participants are required to perform live music. Some would argue that such a thing is more difficult, and I don't disagree. But that's not the point of whether or not an activity is Olympic material or not. The entire concept of a live musical performance competition does not and has never existed in the Olympic Games to the best of my knowledge. The live music aspect takes drum corps to a different place, in my opinion.

{BOX} Think over here.

No, I doubt anybody has ever defined DC as a sport. But it has kind of evolved to a point, at least in certain parts of the world (including here), that I don't think it would be terribly hard to have it classified as such. I've seen the performers in rehearsal lately--pretty athletic looking to me. We've all seen the Star of Indiana stuff from 93 with the tenor/quad drummer and the breathing tube experiment. Looked pretty athletic to me. Scoring? Competition? Check. Desire to compete/win? Yup. So, without meaning to sound beligerent (please don't take it that way), exactly what aspect of athletics, athleticism, and sport is absent from DC? Should it be a part of the Olympics? Debatable. Probably not likely. Is it time to be reclassified as a sport? Well, if not, somebody needs to tell DCI. See also "Summer Music Games," "Major League Marching," etc. They certainly sound like they're trying to market it as a musical sport.

And if the idea is live performance, why have canned music? Why not perform your own music live?? DC offers a whole new, different experience--an athletic pursuit where the athlete(s) provide their own accompaniment.

Note: (meant as a funny-funny, not as a flame on the pit) Front ensemble may have to make their own arguments to be included in the "athletic" category! :P

According to what I've seen from other Olympic events .... Some countries have more than one team per event in almost every event in the Olympics. There's no reason to only have ONE U.S. National Team for drum corps.

... So, without meaning to sound beligerent (please don't take it that way), exactly what aspect of athletics, athleticism, and sport is absent from DC? ...

Sport is absent from it. So, it's not a sport. Doesn't matter how athletic it is, it's not a sport.

According to what I've seen from other Olympic events .... Some countries have more than one team per event in almost every event in the Olympics. There's no reason to only have ONE U.S. National Team for drum corps.

The only events I know to have more than one team per country are bob sleighing and luge with either 2 or 4 members to a team. Having multiple corps per country would increase the logistical problems mentioned before. Instead of 200 members in the Olympic team there would be 900 (add 4 corps 150 members+30 staff) Since it is not IOC policy to have athletes sleep on gym floors, that means a lot of extra housing to be built and to be sold after the games.

No, I doubt anybody has ever defined DC as a sport. But it has kind of evolved to a point, at least in certain parts of the world (including here), that I don't think it would be terribly hard to have it classified as such. I've seen the performers in rehearsal lately--pretty athletic looking to me. We've all seen the Star of Indiana stuff from 93 with the tenor/quad drummer and the breathing tube experiment. Looked pretty athletic to me. Scoring? Competition? Check. Desire to compete/win? Yup. So, without meaning to sound beligerent (please don't take it that way), exactly what aspect of athletics, athleticism, and sport is absent from DC?

It's not what is absent, it's what is THERE...the live music performance. I believe that is the line between sport and art, and history seems to agree. This does not mean that sport cannot have elements which are artistic, or that art cannot have elements which are athletic. It's just recognizing these things for what they are.

Should it be a part of the Olympics? Debatable. Probably not likely. Is it time to be reclassified as a sport? Well, if not, somebody needs to tell DCI. See also "Summer Music Games," "Major League Marching," etc. They certainly sound like they're trying to market it as a musical sport.

DCI can market itself however it wants. I would expect them to hype the athletic part for the simple reason that sports are extremely popular and drum corps, no matter how you dress it up, is geeky. Not to many of us who participate in it, but to the rest of the world outside our little sphere, it's halftime marching band. And it doesn't matter how many YEA clinics say otherwise, band is not cool.