brown rifles

Will

Ok - I want brown rifles for the fall. I am NOT staining them so please, no one suggest that.

I'm wondering about using wood grain contact paper.. Has anyone done this? Was it successful? What is the best way to get the smoothest finish/look with the contact paper.

OR Should I just paint the rifles brown? Or use brown tape?

Any help, suggestions, etc are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Will Stevenson

Director of Colorguard

Union County High School (KY)

Lexington Christian Academy (KY)

When we've used them we ordered them brown aka unpainted and then we used a stain on them to make them the appropriate color brown. You shouldn't have to tape them brown.

Talk to your supplier, they should be able to help you.

I would say that the best way is to order unpainted and stain them to the color you wanted. We used brown ones for Pats 03 and all we did was sand the paint off the white ones. Definitely a big pain in the ### but a great money saver. You can always paint them white again.

Good idea about sanding off the paint. I think we'll do that.

Thanks!!

i have a rifle that i used that was contact paper with wood grain like 5 years ago, and it's still on there.. so it does work, but i would suggest if it is in your budget to order them unpainted. if you talk to john at premier rifles (premierrifles.com) he could most likely do this for you.

A further point for brown rifle care. We used clear packing tape to wrap the rifle to make sure it wouldn't break. Doesn't get much stronger than that. Then covered it with masking tape. Usually not identical to the wood color, depending on the rifle and what type of wood it is, but it's usually close enough. Especially if you dont' wanna stain or paint. Hope this helps!

• 2 weeks later...