How would you change DCI?

Quoting Dan, but really addressed to many that bring this up. When members are cut, in my experience, they are ALWAYS encouraged to go somewhere else and often handed the information so they don't even have to do any leg work. I know especially in my KK days, people cut from Boston, were encouraged to join us for a season to gain tour experience and then come back next season. The kids often just choose not to. It's an X corps or bust mentality. It has nothing to do with DCI or the certain corps not trying to get all these auditionees to march somewhere, but the kids choose not to. And unfortunately, that's not a problem easily solved.

They're always encouraged to go somewhere else? Every corps refers their cuts somewhere? Are you sure?

And I don't think that DCI is doing everything it can to get rid of the "X corps or bust" mentality. Like I said earlier in the thread, DCI needs to promote and market each corps equally, no matter what they placed last year or what place they averaged in the last 10 years. For example, the top 6 corps do clinics a few times each year, right? How often do the Mandarins do a clinic? Or Pioneer? Or jeez, what about Spartans? Band kids go to clinics put on by the top corps, they see them rehearse and see how they do things and are blown away. Many might say to themselves "I want to march with these guys." The lower tiered corps could impress just as well, couldn't they? Especially in mid-July to the end of the season.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're always encouraged to go somewhere else? Every corps refers their cuts somewhere? Are you sure?

And I don't think that DCI is doing everything it can to get rid of the "X corps or bust" mentality. Like I said earlier in the thread, DCI needs to promote and market each corps equally, no matter what they placed last year or what place they averaged in the last 10 years. For example, the top 6 corps do clinics a few times each year, right? How often do the Mandarins do a clinic? Or Pioneer? Or jeez, what about Spartans? Band kids go to clinics put on by the top corps, they see them rehearse and see how they do things and are blown away. Many might say to themselves "I want to march with these guys." The lower tiered corps could impress just as well, couldn't they? Especially in mid-July to the end of the season.

I'm asking because I really don't know....are these clinics set up by DCI? Or by the corps themselves? I've always thought that the Music is Cool events from YEA! are events they put on, not DCI.

As for who should put on the clinics...think of it from a band member perspective (i.e. the "customer"). If you saw an event like this being offered, do you think you would get a larger response if it is The Cavaliers or the Mandarins...if just based on name recognition prior to the event.

At the night show, I would hope that all the corps get some love from the fans. I know my daughter went to shows with me when she was in HS, and her favorite at one of the was KK (their Miss Saigon show) over Cadets and BD, among others.

Yeah, I feel pretty comfortable that all members when they are cut are encouraged to march SOMEWHERE. Often talked about in the big meeting before auditions begin and then reiterrated a 100 times, at least in my experience.

And as for the clinic.. heh.

As was mentioned later, it's about the customer. I was with the high school band I teach at last year at the Glassmen Entertrainment clinic. Those kids left there excited about music, marching and wanting to do drum corps. It was a really well done clinic and I know for a FACT it was enough to impress at least one person who was there into finally auditioning there and now they are a member for the upcoming summer. :blush:

However, in my KK time, we tried to put on a clinic once in the FL area during either our last camp or move-ins. 2 girls showed up. DCI can only market what people want to buy, and sadly, that's the truth. And as far as could the lower tier corps impress just as well? I'm not entirely sure. I know in my experience with a lower tier corps (and please folks, I'm not just ragging on KK) that no, we could not have probably even into late July, and I'm glad we weren't trying to. We needed that even hour, to try and make the show better. I feel like your Blue Devils, Cadets, Cavaliers can not only impress kids with who they are, but with the execution and their presence, and that's something you often don't see from a lower tier corps. This is what makes them prime candidates for holding a clinic.

Edited by Iplaytimpani

Seems like there's always lots of holes to fill. How about if there was a master list, or database, of auditionee's that were cut or didn't make it, maintained by DCI, with the individuals consent of course. Just name, phone number, instrument, and hometown, for instance. Give corps directors access to the information. Let them call, based on hole that needs filled, proximity to corps hometown, or whatever. Maybe some kids would consider a second choice if it seemed like a corps WANTED them. And the director could make his pitch to the individual about gaining experience, etc.

Just a thought...

Seems like there's always lots of holes to fill. How about if there was a master list, or database, of auditionee's that were cut or didn't make it, maintained by DCI, with the individuals consent of course. Just name, phone number, instrument, and hometown, for instance. Give corps directors access to the information. Let them call, based on hole that needs filled, proximity to corps hometown, or whatever. Maybe some kids would consider a second choice if it seemed like a corps WANTED them. And the director could make his pitch to the individual about gaining experience, etc.

Just a thought...

It's a nice idea, but at least from what I've seen, doesn't help. At KK we were constantly calling kids, and being given lists of kids that were cut. They weren't interested because of the organization and what they'd heard from others and all that crap. For some, it may work, but I'm telling you guys, it's not that these kids aren't given a chance to fill those holes. They are choosing not to.

It's a nice idea, but at least from what I've seen, doesn't help. At KK we were constantly calling kids, and being given lists of kids that were cut. They weren't interested because of the organization and what they'd heard from others and all that crap. For some, it may work, but I'm telling you guys, it's not that these kids aren't given a chance to fill those holes. They are choosing not to.

That's not representative. There were lots of less competitive corps that I'd have rather seen my students go to than KK, and that was for administrative reasons. I think there may be a role for DCI to play in the facilitation of kids moving from cut to corps, but they would have to be very neutral in that process, as well.

Just don't forget that over 6800 kids tried out for the top 2700 spots. That's 4100 kids that could have been converted. Imagine if 20% of those kids filtered into D2/3...

That's not representative. There were lots of less competitive corps that I'd have rather seen my students go to than KK, and that was for administrative reasons. I think there may be a role for DCI to play in the facilitation of kids moving from cut to corps, but they would have to be very neutral in that process, as well.

Just don't forget that over 6800 kids tried out for the top 2700 spots. That's 4100 kids that could have been converted. Imagine if 20% of those kids filtered into D2/3...

On the first part, I agree fully, but was just using an example that I had first hand experience with while as a member of KK. But I still maintain, that if you were at a top 12 audition, at least 5 times all people are encouraged that if you are cut, to please continue to pursue a drum corps for the summer. And in my experience, the staff and management offered to put you in contact with other corps if you were interested.