How would you change DCI?

Let me take a shot at these...I'll start with the Semis changes...I think semis should be 15 corps and 10 on finals night.

No judges until after 4th of July week.

I have no problem with this idea. Just to add, a corps should be financially penalized if their visual show isn't completed by the first show. This includes the colorguard. For some people, this could be the only show they will see and people don't like paying full price for a half-completed item.
I like the Div III thing. 45 is a good number.
Maybe another division similar to DCA's minicorps. If DCI wants to help the smaller corps, they shouldn't be penalized by not allowing them to march.
GE should be lower

Music should stay the same.

Visual should be increased...but...make it for the real movement in the corps. I'm fine with ticking feet if necessary. This is a marching activity...not a arch up and concert activity.

I'd like to add that there be some mandartory drill moves, like a company front. Edited by sburstall

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More D2 & 3 corps. everyone is trying to go up to DI or Regional D1 but nothing is being done to keep numbers up in DII/III

The reason the amp stuff is outside of the pit area is for quality reasons. The best way to prevent feedback, is having your speakers as far away from the sound source as possible. Having the amp stuff inside the pit box would make the overall mix coming out lesser, because of the fear of feedback.

UNLESS, by "Eliminate all amplification outside of the pit box." you were talking about the staff member operating the mixers, or singers/narrators, in that case, please ignore this post.

Actually, yes, that's what I mean. As in, no mics in the middle of the field. I think the board, and speakers, should be able to be placed wherever the performance is most benefitted, irrespective of the front line or pit box, without penalty. Every venue is different.

I'm a member of a couple drum corps boards and I notice that those boards have a group of folks who are less than pleased about the direction drum corps (especially DCI) is going. So, lets pretend you run DCI. How would change things?

You will get as many answers to that question as there are people. :P

But IMHO there is one common thread among the discontent. Bb/G might have riled up some but wasn't the end of the world. Amping the pits probably can be accepted. But the mic'd singers and electronics I think are the polarizing issues.

So my changes -

Do away with amps period but if we are going to use them clarify the rule and allow it for accustic pit equipment only.

And it's a 50 pt penalty if anyone on your staff or a part of your organization speaks or thinks or dreams about using a sampler or electronic keyboard/syth. ^0^

I really like SBurstall's idea. If a corps comes in under time, at the discretion of the T&P or show coordinator, they are docked the % of their appearance fee they come in below the 10 minute minimum.

7 minutes of drill, 70% of your fee. And 70% of your visual score, too, IMO.

I really like SBurstall's idea. If a corps comes in under time, at the discretion of the T&P or show coordinator, they are docked the % of their appearance fee they come in below the 10 minute minimum.

7 minutes of drill, 70% of your fee. And 70% of your visual score, too, IMO.

Let's not forget what the guard doesn't have done. Many people complain about the guard not having their costumes yet and using practice flags during the show.

Disallow amplification of voice, by rule.

Promote all DCI corps equally. Don't promote the Cavaliers or Blue Devils any more than you promote Pioneer or Southwind. Every corps is a DCI corps. Not "this corps is top 12 and that corps is top 24". Just like in pro sports, the Detroit Lions and the New England Patriots are both NFL franchises, period.

Require corps to cut their active rosters down to maximum membership (135 now, 150 next year) by March 1st. Performers are already required to commit to a corps by that date, so corps should show the same commitment. No "stringing along" of auditionees. Cut them loose and point them in the direction of a corps that needs them. If enough directors want it, then maybe allow 1 or 2 alternates at most, but that's it. Corps could of course be allowed to hold a long list of auditionees after this date and contact one of them if a hole opens up, but auditionees cannot participate in corps rehearsals after March 1st unless they've been added to the 135-person roster (assuming there's room for them). If enough directors want it, then maybe allow 1 or 2 alternates at most, but that's it.

Create an award for "crowd favorite" at championships, to be voted on by fans who got in with a ticket. They should vote for the corps that had the most entertaining or intriguing show, not necessarily who they feel should win DCI.

Have a "salary cap" for instructors/designers.

(not sure about this one, but thinking about it) Require instructors/designers to work for ONE corps only, in each division.

The reason the amp stuff is outside of the pit area is for quality reasons. The best way to prevent feedback, is having your speakers as far away from the sound source as possible. Having the amp stuff inside the pit box would make the overall mix coming out lesser, because of the fear of feedback.

Actually the best way to prevent feedback is to get rid of the amps all together!!!! :P

Require corps to cut their active rosters down to maximum membership (135 now, 150 next year) by March 1st. Performers are already required to commit to a corps by that date, so corps should show the same commitment. No "stringing along" of auditionees. Cut them loose and point them in the direction of a corps that needs them. If enough directors want it, then maybe allow 1 or 2 alternates at most, but that's it. Corps could of course be allowed to hold a long list of auditionees after this date and contact one of them if a hole opens up, but auditionees cannot participate in corps rehearsals after March 1st unless they've been added to the 135-person roster (assuming there's room for them). If enough directors want it, then maybe allow 1 or 2 alternates at most, but that's it.

Amen. I can't agree more. I was trying to think of simple procedural rules, but this one is the one I actually WANT to really have happen the most. No more stringing along, and facilitate getting kids into corps that have holes. That's how you grow a top-heavy activity.