Help! Is it worth it?

The litigation would not have been for me at all, if it could have existed. It would have been for future boys who want to spin. No one should be degraded for doing what they want to do, especially by faculty. The legal system can be a force in changing ideals about colorguard and gender dynamics, and create a positive atmosphere in the future.

I think about California and how there are so many boys in guard there and it's simply okay. You don't get that in the Midwest... boys in guard are gay and effiminate by association, mainly because guys are discouraged by administration and staff from doing it. If the legal system could help change discrimination, then that's exactly the proper use for it.

Guardjul is right, though, if you don't have the support of your parents, it wouldn't be feasible. And it wouldn't solve YOUR particular problem. But it could change things in the future.

Edited by zackiedude

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was the first guy on my hs guard in a small town in Alabama in the late 1980's, and yes, I caught ALOT of flack for it, not only from my own school, but taunts from other bands & schools at football games and competitions. It was quite the scandal for awhile.

But being an entertainer at heart I somehow loved the attention, and found alot of really supportive people along the way.

When I went to college at Auburn University, they prohibit guys from being on the guard. At that time I didn't think to challenge it in court, I just went to instructing local guards. In protest I refused to march in the band or participate in any of the concert ensembles, which I was heavily recruited for as a trumpet player. To this day, they discriminate against guys being in the guard. I'm suprised someone hasn't challenged it yet.

Edited by garfield_cadets

I was the first guy in my high school's guard too. But, the other high school in town had already had two guys in their guard so I guess the town was used to it in a way. I got a little bit of flack for it, but I was confident in what I was doing and so most people just left me alone.

Don't give up, bandgeek, take that step and audition for an Ind. guard.

No one really pays attention to title IX anyways, I mean look how many drill teams exclude guys.....

I was thinking about that the other day - SO many dance teams don't have guys either. I wonder why....

I really can't believe, that as a guy, you can't audition for your HS Winter or Color Guard? I would think there is no "rule" stating you can't! I teach a Scholastic guard!

I tend to believe it's more of a decision made by your Band Director or Guard Director! Not your School Administration.

To either "protect" you from the "stigma" associated with guys in guard. <_< (please .... no one take offense). It's just the nature of the beast!

Or the simple fact they don't want to deal with a guy in the guard! :worthy:

I would be extremely happy if a guy auditioned for my guard! Then again, all the "flack" he would recieve is alot to deal with!

Give it a shot and see what happens! If your new to the whole "guard" thing, then starting out on the HS level is what I recommend. If it doesn't work out, then do the Independent thing!

Edited by epwtrguard05

I asked my mom. She said I can if I wanted to, but that I'll look like an idiot doing it.

Oh well. At least I have her approval!

That sounds like an invitation to go out there and prove how wrong she is. And what kid doesn't want to prover his parent wrong. Good Luck and have fun. Thats what it is really all about. Hope to see you at WGI in 2008

I asked my mom. She said I can if I wanted to, but that I'll look like an idiot doing it.

Oh well. At least I have her approval!

Tell your mother that if she loves you than she will support you in any/everything you want to do. Just go out there and have a blast!!