1993 Star of Indiana Drumline

Ok - I never got to see this show live, I don't have the DVD, and my vhs tape was borrowed and never returned many years ago. I have listened to the show many, many times- and I guess I didn't really appreciate what was all going on. But, after seeing a few clips on youtube, I am AMAZED at the drumline. I'm curious who wrote the book, who was on staff, and who some of the members were. I'm pretty sure Nick Angelis was there. The writing is phenomenal - a lot of it can't really even be heard on the cd's. Was 93 the only year they used Kevlar on the snares?? I pretty sure it is. The first clip is stand still, but on the second clip, after the standstill encore, it shows some of the great marching. The execution is phenomenal - those running bd's?? gives me goosebumps.

VIDEO LINKS REMOVED--LM

PLEASE, READ THE FOLLOWING LINK REGARDING OUR MEDIA LINKING POLICY. IT IS PINNED ON THE FIRST PAGE OF THE GENERAL FORUMS:

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...showtopic=92395

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok - I never got to see this show live, I don't have the DVD, and my vhs tape was borrowed and never returned many years ago. I have listened to the show many, many times- and I guess I didn't really appreciate what was all going on. But, after seeing a few clips on youtube, I am AMAZED at the drumline. I'm curious who wrote the book, who was on staff, and who some of the members were. I'm pretty sure Nick Angelis was there. The writing is phenomenal - a lot of it can't really even be heard on the cd's. Was 93 the only year they used Kevlar on the snares?? I pretty sure it is. The first clip is stand still, but on the second clip, after the standstill encore, it shows some of the great marching. The execution is phenomenal - those running bd's?? gives me goosebumps.

VIDEO LINKS REMOVED--LM

PLEASE, READ THE FOLLOWING LINK REGARDING OUR MEDIA LINKING POLICY. IT IS PINNED ON THE FIRST PAGE OF THE GENERAL FORUMS:

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...showtopic=92395

Thom Hannum on perc, i think? And yeah...93 was the only year they used kevlar in their corps exitstence...although they DID use free floating snares...just with mylar heads after those drums came out.

This page lists all the staff and members from that year: Star '93

Thanks!! Hannum, McNutt, Beddis, etc. What a great staff

Thanks!! Hannum, McNutt, Beddis, etc. What a great staff

Don't forget Dubie...he pretty much ran the show most of the time...Brent Montgomery too (caption head at blue stars now).

Don't forget Dubie...he pretty much ran the show most of the time...Brent Montgomery too (caption head at blue stars now).

I didn't mean to leave anyone out, (etc. :P ), but I'm not familiar with all of them. Do you know what Dubie is doing now?? Also, do you remember what roles Beddis and McNutt had?? Thanks

Wow - for supposedly being one of the greatest shows of all time, there was some not so great brass playing going on in the encore. Terrible attacks and intonation. You name it, it was bad.

Go ahead and bash, but the video/audio doesn't lie.

Wow - for supposedly being one of the greatest shows of all time, there was some not so great brass playing going on in the encore. Terrible attacks and intonation. You name it, it was bad.

Go ahead and bash, but the video/audio doesn't lie.

Something that's pointed out every time someone posts this video. A couple of things:

1. This was an encore at retreat... they hadn't warmed up, hadn't played anything for quite some time.

2. This was probably the last time they played the show all season. Emotion can muddle perfect playing sometimes.

3. They just lost by .1 to Garfield and are playing the show in their faces. Anger? Frustration? Again, emotion can change playing sometimes.

4. They were spread out across the field which was probably something new for them. New ensemble situation/trouble seeing the drum major = bad attacks.

I mean yeah... it was bad at some spots. But you've got to give them a break. The performance on the field was pretty flawless. I dare you to find major flaws within that one (except maybe that one baritone player coming out of the blend during the big brass a cappela hit).