Is drum corps healty?

I'm about to start another season marching drum corps this is the 5th year, it seems evey year in the off seaon despite being in good physical coniditon my body is suffering , like my knees, my back from playing contra <tuba> and sleeping on the bare floor every summer I was wondering if anybody else that has body problems that have been caused from the activity.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

this is my 5th too, although 5 mello years might not really equal 5 contra years, i might have to check up on that one.

im a bit wary of it, and i feel like im generally more sore than i need to be (i should really look into getting massages before and after my summers though, as much of a luxury as that kind of is), but i havent had any major problems or anything. no injuries throughout the course of my years, so i suppose that helps my cause a lot too.

by 'sleeping on the bare floor'.....i hope you dont mean that literally. you DO use a sleeping bag/air mattress, right? if not, i think i might have a pretty good suggestion for you, haha.

(if you dont already....its your fifth year, i really do hope youre treating yourself to an air mattress at this point. its definitely in your best interests.)

This is my fourth year, and I still feel pretty good. Drum corps hasn't messed up my joints that much and the only serious injury I've endured during the time I've marched drum corps was a torn ACL playing flag football in the off-season.

In the long run it's probably not good for you, what with the skin cancer/joint problems etc, and I'll probably be complaining a lot more after I age out (I have two more years after this) but for now I'm still holding up.

by 'sleeping on the bare floor'.....i hope you dont mean that literally. you DO use a sleeping bag/air mattress, right? if not, i think i might have a pretty good suggestion for you, haha.

(if you dont already....its your fifth year, i really do hope youre treating yourself to an air mattress at this point. its definitely in your best interests.)

to be clear <with a sleeping bag> and my corps doesn't allow air mattress on tour just cause of space under the bus, also I switch it's my 3rd year playing tuba.

to be clear <with a sleeping bag> and my corps doesn't allow air mattress on tour just cause of space under the bus, also I switch it's my 3rd year playing tuba.

If you pack effectively, you can pack a twin/queen sized airmatress in your luggage (with your clothes)--and you would'nt be taking up anymore bay space than you do already. Look into it!

I'm heading into year 5. But I play timpani. I'm holding up just fine. :P Best of luck to you and stay healthy!

in 2005, our timpanist aged out after having "marched" since 2000. an excerpt from his speech at the ageout ceremony we had finals week:

"everyone talks about how physically demanding drum corps is, how your body is deteriorating after a few years.....ill tell you the secret to being in the corps for 6 years and feeling fine.....PLAY TIMPANI."

Not gonna lie. It's true. I've said it before in DCI interviews too. While I'm sure people despise timpanists because of it, we have it pretty good. We do our job and I know I try to do extra to make up for the fact I sit all day, but sometimes, all you can do is sit around. :P Everyone runs to get water and maybe sit down for a second, I can't wait to give my ### a rest. :worthy::silly::wub::wub: