Old "G" Getzen Bugles

...I have a horn JUST like that baritone horn, made my Getzen in excellent condition. I just never realized it - somehow my father picked it up from a friend and it's just laid around for years. If I posted some pictures, would anyone be able to identify it and give an estimate as to its value?

Thanks!

If the rotor is complete and plays easily you're ahead of a lot of eBay horns I've seen. When I thought of playing again I checked eBay for a horn to practice on. Took months until I saw a horn that was playable and the seller knew what they were talking about. (Saw a lot of "Rare 2 Valve Trumpet" ads for a while.)

Perfect time to sell is when an Alumni corps starts up and everyone has to find their own horn. Got in a bidding war one time and then realized it was someone from Madison Alumni. :worthy:

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the pics.

One of those baris looks like a valved trombone. I bet it was really easy to test the limits on that horn.

Thanks for posting the great Getzen G/D bugle pics! This takes me way back. I remember that when I started in drum corps in 1965 as a third soprano my first horn was a Leedy G-D tenor soprano sans rotary. I can remember coveting the smart looking Getzen valve rotor sops played by our leads which you have pictured here. I think that I did manage to land one by the time we hit the field in the'66 season. To my 13 year old eyes that multi-faceted lead-pipe shank was the ultimate in drum corps flash. It looked great under the lights!

I also remember, not as fondly, the "land-mine" that A and A flat above the staff presented on those horns. It kept the execution judge busy as it was almost impossible to get though a show without splattering a fair share of those notes at high volume levels. :beer: The G/F Olds Ultratone bugles were a big improvement in that respect. :lookaround: