Well...I learned a long time ago on this site that having an opinion means that you are automatically flame bait.

Well, as YOUR opinion on this is the "norm" for DCP, I think you are safe. Me, OTOH.... :P

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that would be a good argument, but my question is would you even be able to hear it past the second row? would it carry to the top of the box along with the brass so judges could even get a good read of it without being completely distorted by overplaying?

Yes.

Oh geez....where do I begin...

Woodwinds will never work in drum corps because

#1. They don't project far enough into the stands

#1a. They would have to be individually mic'd and that would cost a ton

#2. They can't hold up in rain

#3. The name of the activity is drum and BUGLE corps

#1...yes, they do when the arrangements are written properly for all the voices, and the visual design places players i the right spots...as happens now with brass and percussion...and happens with thousands of bands.

#1a....no they would not.

#2...WW hold up in winter conditions now.

#3...And percussion is far more than drums...and horns are no bugles, nor have they been for a looong time.

Personally, I don't see WW happening any time soon, so this is just discussion.

if there was a corps doing a show that was a tribute to Charlie "the bird" Parker

and they employed one absolutely sensational sax player to do do some playing

I probably would not panic

but I sure dont want to hear the sound of flutes or clarinets with brass in drum corps

any woodwind section really

my favorite woodwind piece is Vaughan Williams oboe concerto

still, I dont want woodwinds in corps and lose the type of musical ensemble that drum & bugle corps is

even if it is more percussion and brass than drum & bugle

I would like to see more brass instruments utilized creatively way before woodwinds

there are plenty of non reed or string instruments out there not being employed

Has anyone heard many woodwind players complain about no WW being in drum corps? I've always heard of them just picking a new instrument or going into guard. I could understand if there were mass protests, but I have never heard of a major outcry...

"Woodwinds or die." :ph34r:

Interesting that no one took the trouble answer the original poster's question.

The proposal was made to allow more students to participate in Drum Corps. Not so much for the sound.

There are more people auditioning for corps then there are open spots. The real problem is that a HUGE percentage of auditionees only want to be in corps they feel will either make top 12, or those that have the best chance at a ring. We're at a point where many think the ONLY worthwhile drum corps experience is a full Div I tour with a championship corps.

There are more people auditioning for corps then there are open spots. The real problem is that a HUGE percentage of auditionees only want to be in corps they feel will either make top 12, or those that have the best chance at a ring. We're at a point where many think the ONLY worthwhile drum corps experience is a full Div I tour with a championship corps.

Yeah, I guess people forget that there are championships for Div. II and III... meaning you can still be competitive. I wish I could see more of them :(

Maybe it'll take the big 3 to try using woodwinds and then for it to be a huge flop to end the discussion.

Plus, what do you take out of the personnel to add woodwinds? I imagine for balance you'd have to have at least as many woodwinds as brass, so what? 64+15 (with the increase to 150 members) is nearly 80, so 40 brass? That's going to completely change the sound of drum corps (for the worse, in my opinion).

Those of you who have read my postings over the years on this subject (some even very heated) may be shocked to discover that my stance on this issue has somewhat softened over the last year or so. Here are my ideas and opinions as it stands now both positive and negative....and what I believe could be a good compromise and solution for all sides of the argument.

NEGATIVE - My struggle with the idea of woodwinds in drum corps has always been backed by a paralell with concert band and orchestras. I've always said, "I like the sound of both a full symphony orchestra with a full string section, brass and percussion AS WELL AS a concert band/wind ensemble with woodwinds, brass and percussion only". Both ensembles have similarities but with their own unique charactor and timbre. There are times I am in the mood for the sound of a full symphony orchestra and times where I'm in the mood for the sound of just a wind ensemble. I would hate it if the day ever came where only full orchestras existed and no wind ensembles (and thankfully, that day will never come). My feelings on the marching arts are the same. I love the sound of a full band. There are times when I'm on my couch (very rarely though these days...cough cough) wanting to watch some "marching arts" and my choice is a DVD of BOA finals. At times like that, I want to hear the colors and timbres of a full band - woodwinds and all. At other times, I want to hear a drum corps...no woodwinds. Just drum corps. I also like seeing both types of ensembles live. I would hate to see the day where I would no longer have the choice because only full bands exist. I would greatly miss the sound of marching brass and percussion only.

POSITIVE - At the same time I say everything in the above, I bounce back to what we call "exceptions". Have you ever seen a wind ensemble with a "string bass, harp or perhaps a violin solo"? Absolutely! Do you stop calling it a "wind ensemble/concert band" because of one instrument or a soloist? Absolutely not. I believe drum corps could be the same way and could possibly benefit from a compromise where only a limited amount of woodwind use could be allowed..

...which brings me to a compromise with the following...

SOLUTION - Make a proposal where limited use of woodwinds could be allowed. Such as "one improv sax soloist in the pit" or "flute or clarinet soloist"....but NOT a full section. Or...if you were to have a "section"...make it "small" such as a "quintet". The other suggestion I would make is a time limit to how long a woodwind voice could be used. In a case like this, I would see no more reason to stop calling it "drum corps" than I would to stop calling a concert band a concert band with an occasional violin soloist. I would also feel satisfied knowing that the majority of my time at a drum corps show would be spent enjoying the sounds of brass and percussion. This would also give woodwind players aspiring for drum corps a place in the activity.

HOWEVER...that last statement make me want to pause with one more NEGATIVE brought up in the following post...

Sax/mello player here. Learned mello for corps, its really not uncommon. I have a few friends (Clarinet to Tuba at Southwind, Sax to bari at Crossmen, Sax to Tuba at Cavies) that have made the switch in order to march, it actually can help develop you further as a musician to have some ability in both types of instrument.

That is a great point! Versatility is priceless and I think it's very educational for a woodwind player to learn brass to perform in drum corps. In contrast, allowing woodwinds could resort to a "mediocre" standard for what it takes to make it into a drum corps

OVERALL CONCLUSION - This is a hard debate...and one that no two people will ever completely agree on. Therefore, I worry less about it than I used to. THANK GOD!

Just my opinions...and representetive of no other affiliation I may have with any orginizations.

If a woodwind player really wants to march drum corps, then they can put in the effort to learn a brass instrument or percussion.

That's what I did. Drum corps is open to everyone who wants it. Drum corps does not have to conform to woodwind players. There are many fine marching bands out there. If you want a band experience, join a band. If you want a drum corps experience, join a drum corps. But let's have two great marching activities instead of just one.