Just to let you know.... this is going to be a reality within three to four years, if that long. Once synthesizers get passed for the pit, corps are going to be able to amplify a woodwin voice. Then will come the argument "since I am already projecting this woodwin voice why cant I have a real one in the pit". It wont pass the first year out...... maybe tie the second year, pass finally in the third.

"Three to four years" may be a stretch. Keep in mind how long it took for amplification to pass. Electronics is still hitting a wall, though it's a close one now. As quickly as these changes appear to be implimenting themselves, things are in reality moving very much at a snail's pace. Electronics will likely pass next year, though there is no promise that another tie or minus 2 votes may happen again. If that's the case, it could be another 2 or 3 years just for electronics to finally hit the field. Then once electronics pass, any use of woodwinds - whether in the context of an idea like mine or a full plunge - will likely take even longer to pass and hit more of a wall. That to say, I think we have a while to go on any woodwind usage. If ever. I'm very certain that there are more people in the forfront of the activity against woodwinds than there ever was with amplification, electronics or multi-key brass instruments (that last one being my favorite :)). Though again, I personally would no longer be opposed to a limited use of woodwinds such as the idea I mentioned in my previous post. I would not want to see full sections though. Again, JUST MY OWN PERSONAL OPINIONS.

Edited by torn8o

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

* Drum and bugle corps is a genre of marching ensemble descended from military signaling units that is distinctly divided into classic and modern corps. Both groups have long, continuous histories and developments separate from marching bands. As the name implies, bugles and drums form the musical background of the corps, but modern competitive drum corps incorporate other brass instruments and orchestral percussion. Governing bodies of competitive drum and bugle corps include Drum Corps International (for junior corps) and Drum Corps Associates (for all age corps) in America, Drum Corps United Kingdom and Drum Corps Europe in Europe, and Drum Corps Japan in Japan.

Something I found that might add fuel to the fire. Both MB and drum corps are subsets of Marching ensembles.

Edited by oldtimedrummer

Only if people give up on it as easily as you seem to think they will. I tend to have a lot more faith that the passion which is on display here every day in opposition to such things like woodwinds in drum corps would do a fine job of manifesting itself into maintaining the brass and percussion only sound of drum corps. Whether it happens as a separate division of DCI (which I think is unlikely) or as a completely separate circuit, it will continue to exist as long as people want it to. And if people are as passionate about it as they seem to be, one would think that if DCI were to ever make such a rule change happen (which I also think is unlikely), then DCA should reap the benefits of all that passion and that circuit would thrive and prosper because of it. Regardless, your defeatist attitude is surprising.

I agree very strongly with this post.

A MB and a DC do the same kind of shows...same type of competition....play the same types of music...visual designs...guard work....etc.

A string quartet plays a very different type of music in many sorts of venues than a symphony orchestra. Their performance aims just are not the same IMO, while a MB and DC are exactly the same.

A string quartet plays classical music to classical music fans, as does a symphony orchestra.

Phoenix - where do you live?

MS Gulf Coast

holy travel to get to Bucs!

Of course, our timpani player moved here from Washington state :D

There is still the colorguard. Good luck and best wishes! B)

I was thinking of that but my parents don't approve of it. :ph34r:

holy travel to get to Bucs!

Of course, our timpani player moved here from Washington state :D

I think I might just go with Carolina Gold(I will be looking more into them). Can anyone tell me how good they are?

A string quartet plays classical music to classical music fans, as does a symphony orchestra.

A string quartet will also play the cocktail hour of a really fancy black-tie dinner. An orchestra wouldn't...

But I don't care what kind of venue or event that a MB or DC performs at, or what their repertoire is, or what their level of ability is, or how many miles they travel. I look STRICTLY at instrumentation.

Gold was a finalist for a few years before opting to take this year off to get things squared away a little more for their standards. They do have a mini corps for this year and are looking to head back for '08, if I remember correctly. :)