I'm not one to usually respond, I like to kind of take things in, read oppinions, etc. But I have to voice my oppinion.

This might lack some tact. This might be uncouthe. But it's blunt and to the point. I know it will recieve a round of applause in some sectors and some groans in another.

1. It is STILL Drum and Bugle corps. While you are correct in stating that it's percussion and brass now, and while you're right, those changes were made while making the over all product BETTER and without straying very far from the original content. It's always been brass, it's always been percussion. The tools used are just a lot better. Drum Corps started post WWI, we're fighting a war in Iraq in 2007 now. The Technology's changed a little bit... for the better. While the activity has afforded some changes with the advancement of better instruments (does anyone still want to play a valveless g bugle when they could have the new yamaha trumpet?) adding woodwinds would be completely changing drum corps.

2. Marching woodwinds is the faggiest thing I have ever seen. I don't care. A flute player in a band uniform with an intense look on his/her face as he/she pops his/her flute to the box is the most ######## thing I have ever seen. The close second is when that same flute player rips the flute from their face.

not gonna lie, but sax isn't that much better

by the way have fun explaining to the contras and euphs how your neck strap hurts

3. When you argue for woodwinds in a drum corps forum... it's just obvious you were around marching band first, and are still harboring your love for marching band... which is fine. So go to a college or high school and watch the marching band... it's okay, have fun, there will be a football game sometime while you're there too. those are fun as well.

4. If you have a problem with number 3. Then start your own marching music program that involves woodwinds. Hell, you might even be able to perform at a DCI show in exhibition. If someone else likes THAT they might start their own marching music ensemble that involves woodwinds. Just don't call yourselves drum corps, and don't compete against DCI corps.

5. I really don't want to waste rehersal time so you can change your reeds

6. I'll get really ###### off when you get to go inside during inclimate weather so your pads don't stick

7. I feel really bad for the first woodwind staff that has to ride with the drum and brass staffs.

7a. I don't even want to think of the fights that are bound to happen between brass and woodwind caption heads

8. Did I mention that it looks REALLY faggy to march woodwinds?

This is why I love DCP. Just made my night...

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

while those words may lower my credibility level, I will say that adjective is the only one I could come up with at the time that accurately describes a flute player trying to be "hard corps"

it's just plain faggy

How about "ridiculous looking" or "fake" or "hysterical?" Using that language makes you seem like a high school freshman. Use your SAT vocabulary, my friend. :P

while those words may lower my credibility level, I will say that adjective is the only one I could come up with at the time that accurately describes a flute player trying to be "hard corps"

it's just plain faggy

I disagree. There are "hard corps" bands out there with "hard corps" woodwind players. I don't want to see them in drum corps, but I do want to see them in band.

There are plenty of nonderogatory terms you can use.

I'm not one to usually respond, I like to kind of take things in, read oppinions, etc. But I have to voice my oppinion.

This might lack some tact. This might be uncouthe. But it's blunt and to the point. I know it will recieve a round of applause in some sectors and some groans in another.

1. It is STILL Drum and Bugle corps. While you are correct in stating that it's percussion and brass now, and while you're right, those changes were made while making the over all product BETTER and without straying very far from the original content. It's always been brass, it's always been percussion. The tools used are just a lot better. Drum Corps started post WWI, we're fighting a war in Iraq in 2007 now. The Technology's changed a little bit... for the better. While the activity has afforded some changes with the advancement of better instruments (does anyone still want to play a valveless g bugle when they could have the new yamaha trumpet?) adding woodwinds would be completely changing drum corps.

2. Marching woodwinds is the faggiest thing I have ever seen. I don't care. A flute player in a band uniform with an intense look on his/her face as he/she pops his/her flute to the box is the most ######## thing I have ever seen. The close second is when that same flute player rips the flute from their face.

not gonna lie, but sax isn't that much better

by the way have fun explaining to the contras and euphs how your neck strap hurts

3. When you argue for woodwinds in a drum corps forum... it's just obvious you were around marching band first, and are still harboring your love for marching band... which is fine. So go to a college or high school and watch the marching band... it's okay, have fun, there will be a football game sometime while you're there too. those are fun as well.

4. If you have a problem with number 3. Then start your own marching music program that involves woodwinds. Hell, you might even be able to perform at a DCI show in exhibition. If someone else likes THAT they might start their own marching music ensemble that involves woodwinds. Just don't call yourselves drum corps, and don't compete against DCI corps.

5. I really don't want to waste rehersal time so you can change your reeds

6. I'll get really ###### off when you get to go inside during inclimate weather so your pads don't stick

7. I feel really bad for the first woodwind staff that has to ride with the drum and brass staffs.

7a. I don't even want to think of the fights that are bound to happen between brass and woodwind caption heads

8. Did I mention that it looks REALLY faggy to march woodwinds?

Please never become an educator.

Look, drum and bugle corps have been around a long time, longer than some of us have been alive, and for decades now people that want to march corps and are woodwind players have picked up different instruments or spun in the guard, that's just how it's been done.

So now we should think about changing and allowing these instruments? What for?

I am a tuba player, if I wanted to join a woodwind choir, should they let me in, because it's a different sound? or a new instrument, NO, it's a woodwind choir.

The whole argument of it'll open up new sounds, well yes and no. Yes it would open up new sounds, but then it is marching band, any way you look at it, it would be a band, not a drum and bugle corps.

This is a unique genre of music because of the shows, arrangements, and instrumentations, it's why specialty ensembles such as chamber ensembles, and yes, drum and bugle corps exist, so those people that participate in these chosen capacities can excel in a unique genre.

Just my thoughts, flame away if that helps us justify why we are upset about how things are, because that will make some feel better.

Well there are a few flaws with argument:

1-no bugles no drum corps !! ( so already changed )

2-We are now brass and percussion bands with color guard?? ( different sound )

3-drum corps has changed with every instrument change as well as guard change

4-to make your claim true we go back to bugles ( no valves .. ok maybe a piston ) color guards carry the american and state flag possibly a legion or VFW flag and are guarded by a sabre or rifle. Then it can be compared to keeping a woodwind choir a woodwind choir.

5- in some peoples eyes pitting mallets,tonal bass drums, snare carriers,Bb horns,amps,vocals,singing,asymetric drill and hopkins were all going to kill drum corps. We have heard the same cry at every point of growth, yet we enter the summer of 07 and i see DCI as strong and offering more to its fans than ever before.Could woodwinds really kill that ?? I dont know , but i dont think so.I know i enjoy these summer touring groups of students that perform on football felds all over the country....WHAT ever we call them !!

Well there are a few flaws with argument:

1-no bugles no drum corps !! ( so already changed )

2-We are now brass and percussion bands with color guard?? ( different sound )

3-drum corps has changed with every instrument change as well as guard change

4-to make your claim true we go back to bugles ( no valves .. ok maybe a piston ) color guards carry the american and state flag possibly a legion or VFW flag and are guarded by a sabre or rifle. Then it can be compared to keeping a woodwind choir a woodwind choir.

5- in some peoples eyes pitting mallets,tonal bass drums, snare carriers,Bb horns,amps,vocals,singing,asymetric drill and hopkins were all going to kill drum corps. We have heard the same cry at every point of growth, yet we enter the summer of 07 and i see DCI as strong and offering more to its fans than ever before.Could woodwinds really kill that ?? I dont know , but i dont think so.I know i enjoy these summer touring groups of students that perform on football felds all over the country....WHAT ever we call them !!

So staying within the same instrument family as drums and bugles (percussion and brass) is no different than going outside of those families and adding WW? I don't get it. How many members would have to be added to the current roster in order to affectively balance woodwinds, brass, and percussion? When does the visual on the field start hurting? At 200? At 300?

Those who play woodwinds can enjoy marching band and other ensembles throughout high school and college. However, drum corps is a unique sound. Why should WW be added when teens/young adults can already compete in high school marching bands and play in college marching bands? I don't understand why drum corps can't be left alone as percussion, brass, and guard. Please, someone tell me what is so horrible about keeping it this way.

So when do we get to add brass to the bagpipe groups and string quartets. ^0^

Makes as much (or as little) sense as adding WWs to a brass/percussion group.