When did French Horn Bugles go out of style

That's a great picture in your avatar!

Sky had Frenchies in 92 for Brigadoon. I want to say that we had about 4 flugels, too. Somebody else will have to verify that. Don't know if the corps had either in the 93 show. They went away in 94. Anybody know where the horns went? LOVED those 2-valve Kings!

Sorry--put up my last post before seeing this one. :worthy: Anyway: I think we had around six flugels in '92, but I don't believe we fielded any in '93. As to where the horns went: Proctor and Co. put 'em up for sale in spring of '94, so I think it's safe to say they were purchased.

It was just easier to play a mellophone in tune than a French horn. By the 80s, you had to look hard to find any.

I friend of mine (who was a pretty well known DCI brass arranger/instructor) and I were watching Phantom back in around '83 - or '84 or so. We were listening pretty intently to a quiet passage in their show, when all of a sudden, he blurted out in a loud, disgusted voice: "aaaagh - they gotta get rid of those ***hole french horns!" I guess he had already figured out what the rest of the brass community was just beginning to realize.

Fred O.