When did French Horn Bugles go out of style

So convert someone...Larrie doesn't actually march, y'know!

Can you imagine Larrie, Roland, and Rich wailing on a Frenchie????

Just because I can imagine it does not mean I want to hear it!

^0^ ^0^ ^0^ ^0^ ^0^ ^0^ ^0^

That's a great picture in your avatar!

Sky had Frenchies in 92 for Brigadoon. I want to say that we had about 4 flugels, too. Somebody else will have to verify that. Don't know if the corps had either in the 93 show. They went away in 94. Anybody know where the horns went? LOVED those 2-valve Kings!

I'm also a big fan of the 2 valve Kings.

I don't have personal experience with this, but I've heard that they are very difficult to tune. Now that any key is legal, I wonder if there's a "non-G" frenchie out there that's easier to tune.

I always loved how SCV would have their frenchies cutting through on the big chords. I miss hearing them.

Not div 1 , but teal has trumpets , flugels , mellos , baris, euphs, contras. only missing the frenchies. ill tell you what though , the flugles make the trumpets sound soo freakin rich . I was listinging to them when they played a part by themselves and was struck by the richness the flugel adds to the hornline.

That's good to hear. I figured the flugels would have that effect. I'm really surprised that more lines haven't experimented with more of the "fringe" horns since "any keyed" instruments were legalized. I really think the trumpet line would benefit from having cornets play the third part or flugels for that matter. I would also like to see picolo trumpets sprinkled into shows more especially when small ensemble parts are called for.

I don't have personal experience with this, but I've heard that they are very difficult to tune. Now that any key is legal, I wonder if there's a "non-G" frenchie out there that's easier to tune.

Easier to tune than Mellophones

French Horn bugles, introduced in 1953, began to go out of style once the mellophone bugle was developed. Back in the 1950's when corps played with one hand and only had one valve, the closer partials were instrumental in making drum corps more musical. On a G-D one valve bugle melodies ranging from written G to G were well suited for the french horn and difficult for the soprano or baritone. When the G-F bugle with F# rotary was introduced, the mellophone was able to handle this as well. Most corps used both with usually two mellophone parts and one french horn to voice in the middle.

In 1983 the Garfield Cadets went to all mellophones and were the first major corps to eliminate the french horn section. They felt it made sense based on the need to be uniform, in tune, and precise, especially given the rising demand of the visual program. Corps began to convert and with the advent of three valve mellophone bugles, french horns fell out of use except in rare instances. The advantages that the instrument offered back in the 1950's where no longer relevant. So the french horn bugle went the way of the tenor bugle and the small belled baritone.

Most corps used both with usually two mellophone parts and one french horn to voice in the middle.

When I marched with DCA's Sunrisers, on french horn from 1977-1982, that's the midrange voicing we had..... first and second mellophone, and french horn. One big reason I joined Sun is that the corps brought back french horns for the '77 season, after being all-mellophone for at least a few seasons.

The french horns sometimes doubled as an upper baritone voice, depending on the needs of the chart. I will say, John Arietano...our arranger then with Sun.... did a GREAT job writing for the midrange voices. He always challenged us....we had some very tasty french horn parts, for sure. It was a lot of fun to play his stuff.

Sunrisers used french horns through the 1984 season... and then went back to all-mellophone.

Fran

I played French Horn in 82 with Memphis Blues and it was tough to me. I played mellophone in high school marching band. The only reason it was tough for me was because it was so hard to stay in tune.

I also tried out on flugel in 83, but found I was better on a mellophone.

However, I enjoyed playing on a French Horn bugle, it helped me later on when I had to play on a Bb marching French Horn.

I don't know if this was mentioned but didn't Cavaliers use a flugel in a show a couple of years ago? Wasn't that a Flugel solo in the James Bond show?

Edited by Lancerlady

Yes, I seem to recall Cavies using a Flugel for the solo in '04 and also as an interesting effect in '05 which involved playing two horns at once and having the color guard fake it on the flugels. At least that's what it looks like on the DVD.

(Not to mention the Oregon Crusaders Flugel solos in '05 and '06, but that's Div. II)

And Academy had a flugel line last year, though they were Div. II. I wonder if they will continue to march Fluegels this year now that they're in div I... I really feel sorry for them on hot days. With a leadpipe that's also a tuning slide, pulling it out means the horn has to be farther from your face. And if you're not careful when you snap the horn up... ouch!

As for the whole mellophone/french horn thing, I'm a mello/french horn player and I think it would be hard to march french horn because the design of the mouthpiece requires that you play it down-stream instead of straight-on or up-stream like you can with a trumpet/mello mouthpiece. At least that's my impression. Also, as my horn teacher commented on, mello mouthpices thend to have really wide rims that provide that extra "cushion" you need for marching. The best french horn mouthpices tend to be more sharp, which is bad news if you accidently jam your horn into your face while marching (which I tend to do a lot, he he he).

Probably the SkyRyder Warehouse in DeSoto, TX!

Coming from anybody else I'm sure the French Horn/Mello's would be insulted, Marty! :P

Sounds about right. We fielded Frenchies in '92, remember?