Baraboo - Thursday Evening

Do you have some beef with someone in the Scouts organization?? I'm just curious, ---- I'm not saying you are a jerk etc. or anything, I just have noticed that a lot of your posts regarding the Scouts seem quite similar to me.

The ONLY portion of the Scouts organization that I have ever had a beef with has been the Board of Directors and some of the decisions they have made since 2002. The organization...where it is today is a direct reflection of the decisions the Scouts' Board have made since the Fall of 2002.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ONLY portion of the Scouts organization that I have ever had a beef with has been the Board of Directors and some of the decisions they have made since 2002. The organization...where it is today is a direct reflection of the decisions the Scouts' Board have made since the Fall of 2002.

Mr. Brace,

That was 5 years ago ! Dang Man, whats done is done ! This is just Drum Corps ! It's not like it's a life or death thing. People serve less time for armed robbery ! Before you make the comparison between murder and "Death of the Scouts" let me say that things have been/are done to insure that the Madison Scouts live a long life. Have some mistakes been made, YES , Will more be made, Yes ! Thats life ! As an Alum. and a Parent of a current Madison Scout I have full faith in the BOD and Staff !

I am sorry you can not find a way to get over the past but I am asking you to, PLEASE THINK OF THE FINE YOUNG MEN IN THIS CORPS AND TRY NOT TO TAKE YOUR PERSONAL FEELINGS ABOUT THE PAST AND USE THEM IN ANY WAY THAT HURTS THESE MEN !

Thank You,

Bill Leslie

I understand -- I don't pretend to be "in the know" about the BOD, and I admit to being really concerned, and at times very worried about what has happened at times since 2002, but I have always fully supported the Scouts despite anything that has happened with the BOD. I guess that despite my concerns, I have remained a positive and loyal fan of the entire organization. If that makes me a "kool aid drinker" that's ok -- I'm a Cubs fan too :P

Mr. Brace,

That was 5 years ago ! Dang Man, whats done is done ! This is just Drum Corps ! It's not like it's a life or death thing. People serve less time for armed robbery ! Before you make the comparison between murder and "Death of the Scouts" let me say that things have been/are done to insure that the Madison Scouts live a long life. Have some mistakes been made, YES , Will more be made, Yes ! Thats life ! As an Alum. and a Parent of a current Madison Scout I have full faith in the BOD and Staff !

I am sorry you can not find a way to get over the past but I am asking you to, PLEASE THINK OF THE FINE YOUNG MEN IN THIS CORPS AND TRY NOT TO TAKE YOUR PERSONAL FEELINGS ABOUT THE PAST AND USE THEM IN ANY WAY THAT HURTS THESE MEN !

Thank You,

Bill Leslie

Bill:

I hear you...however I'm not trying to isolate this to just what happened in 2002 but also the decisions that have been made and not made since then. And the money they haven't raised since then. Five years worth of this is what I'm taking about.

Look, I'm tired of trying to defend myself everytime I say something that isn't all sunshine and the blessings of God Almighty on High when it comes to the Madison Scouts. And how are my opinions exactly "hurtful" to "these fine young men?"

You really think a young man is hurt by comments an old guy like me makes on DCP? Please give the Madison Scouts marching members more credit than that.

Maybe we shouldn't ever voice our opinions positive or negative. Moderators....shut DCP down right now. We have no need for opinions anymore.

Good luck Scouts. I hope you have a great season and that you surprise me. And I've said that before as well.

Edited by Tom Brace

It's gonna be awesome, during the drum solo the whole corps plays on buckets and garbage cans, ala Stomp! I'm really psyched!

I heard they're going to be naked during that part of the show. They were inside when I heard that part, but it was a bit too crowded for that then. :sshh:

Edited by jjeffeory

I know that the guard has their own sheet. Duh..... But there's much more to it than that. There's no doubt that on the guard sheet alone, 20 can compete with 40, I agree with you on that point. But the impact on the Vis GE sheet and the perception of the other GE judge, and all the other judges for that matter, is an altogether different point. In the big picture, a small color guard, unless extremly talented, will be a negative. At least at the upper end of Div 1. If it wasn't, there would be more Div 1 Corps marching smaller, more talented guards, and we rarely see that. Whens the last time any corps in the top 12 had a 20 member guard?

LOL.... Garfield had a 8-10 person guard in 1986 and got 4th place... :huh:

Of course that was a LONG time ago! I don't know how well that would work today.

You know, if the corps proper does some guard work here and there, it could be fine. I don't see it as a big deal.

Just curious...and not directed at the Scouts because their numbers have always been above

these, but

Can anyone name a D1 corps that made finals (this century) with a guard of less than 20?

With less than 60 brass? With less than 25 percussion? With less than 115 on the field?

I'm sure every DCI judge will tell you it's certainly possible, but has it ever happened?

We certainly know size matters in the band world. In all of the years of BOA and the THOUSANDS

of bands that have competed in the national championship, how many made it to finals with

less than 100 members? (Excluding the years when the small classes had at least 1 in finals

automatically.)

I think size also matters in DCI.

Well, you said "in this century". No not in the last 6 years, but in DCIs life time all four have happened.

Bill:

I hear you...however I'm not trying to isolate this to just what happened in 2002 but also the decisions that have been made and not made since then. And the money they haven't raised since then. Five years worth of this is what I'm taking about.

Look, I'm tired of trying to defend myself everytime I say something that isn't all sunshine and the blessings of God Almighty on High when it comes to the Madison Scouts. And how are my opinions exactly "hurtful" to "these fine young men?"

You really think a young man is hurt by comments an old guy like me makes on DCP? Please give the Madison Scouts marching members more credit than that.

Maybe we shouldn't ever voice our opinions positive or negative. Moderators....shut DCP down right now. We have no need for opinions anymore.

Good luck Scouts. I hope you have a great season and that you surprise me. And I've said that before as well.

Mr. Brace,

I do understand your point of view. ( I promise ) Just look at your opening statement though. Why do you think there was such a big change after last year ? ( including many board members ) It was either change the way things were done or keep on suffering. Give this time to work. I assure you that things are already better. This years people had nothing to do with the last 5 years ! That is why I feel barking at or about them is unwarrented.

I do think voicing our opioions is important when they about current problems that something can be done about. I have no problem if someone thinks , so-in-so's ballad is aweful, or so-in-so's needs work ,etc......

Bill

Edited by Old Geezer

Mr. Brace,

I do understand your point of view. ( I promise ) Just look at your opening statement though. Why do you think there was such a big change after last year ? ( including many board members ) It was either change the way things were done or keep on suffering. Give this time to work. I assure you that things are already better. This years people had nothing to do with the last 5 years ! That is why I feel barking at or about them is unwarrented.

I do think voicing our opioions is important when they about current problems that something can be done about. I have no problem if someone thinks , so-in-so's ballad is aweful, or so-in-so's needs work ,etc......

Bill

That's fair...as Stephen Colbert so eloquently puts it...

I accept your apology.