Why did you not march?

I marched VK in '91, but did not march in '92 and '93 because I couldn't afford it. I joined late in '91, so I wasn't prepared for the cost of marching, including the fees, money to live on for tour, and the loss of wages for two months. My parents helped me out, but were very clear that they wouldn't help again.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen it happen. Frequently. :wub: Wow, what a negative thing to say. Seriously dude, I have two music degrees from a TOP music school. I know talent and most people in DCA corps have gotten where they are because of hard work, not raw talent. Some drill writers in DCA don't have enough talent to write a top 12 DCI show... :wub: I got 4th place in 2005 with the most talentless baritone section I have ever marched in and a sop soloist who gakked notes on his solo EVERY weekend. There isn't much talent in DCA - yeah, you get the Joey Pero's and Genvieve's as soloists, but for the most part, people that march DCA are amateurs with a lot of passion and dedication for what they do, but not so heavy on the talent.

To the NeutralNovice - don't let comments like this bring you down. And don't get down on yourself and say you have no talent. If you have the desire and the willingness to work A LOT on your own, there are lots of DCA corps with a good enough staff to teach you to succeed if you have the desire. That's drum corps. I notice you are in California - you would be more than welcome with the San Francisco Renegades. And if you are in Southern Cal there are two All Age corps that would love to have you, as long as you have the desire and determination.

I hear everything you're saying (metaphorically or maybe metaphysically) but pls. don't let your degrees cause you to confuse education with talent. Yes you need a spectacular amount of talent to achieve what you have achieved, but it doesn't mean that everyone who comes to DCA (or DCI for that matter) as a novice instrumentalist is UN-talented. Unititiated, inexperienced perhaps, but you can't become a drum corps musician without talent, whether you're playing solos or 4th baritone parts. The fact that your friend was gakking solos doesn't necessarily indicate a lack of talent, maybe just insufficient skill to excel in the role into which the staff had placed him or her.

If you had known little Stevie Jones when he came to Bridgemen prior to going to Star, you might have mistakenly thought (because of his lack of experience) that he didn't have as much "talent" as some other contra players. Time certainly proved folks wrong about that one, no? I could go on and on. Talent is sometimes hard to put your finger on at first blush, and can't be measured by the numbers of degrees, but as Felix Frankfurter said about another hard to quantify item, "I know it when I see it."

I knew what DCI was when I was of age to do it, thanks to a band director who would bring in old videos. We even had a DCI club at school where we would hang out in the band room and watch videos.

Why didn't I march? It basically comes down to money and zero family support. There is absolutely no way my mother would've stood for me marching a summer and not working to pay for college expenses. I had no knowledge of Jersey Surf, which would've been a more viable option, but there was the matter of getting there (a 4-hour drive from the mountains of north-central PA) and not being allowed to take a family vehicle that far away for my mom's fear of it breaking down. And the money I would lose from not working weekends would've been hard to make up.

Plus, I played clarinet in high school, but I did have a little guard experience, so guard is what I would've done.

Do I wish I could've done DCI? Absolutely. But that's the way it was. My family was working-class for our area, but in the big picture we were poor. My mom was a waitress and my step-dad fixed heaters and air conditioners. My dad was not in the picture. It was a miracle that we were able to pull off my going to college at Syracuse, which we did thanks to a boatload of financial aid. It basically boiled down to drum corps or college, and overall I'm glad I have my college degree.

I hear everything you're saying (metaphorically or maybe metaphysically) but pls. don't let your degrees cause you to confuse education with talent. Yes you need a spectacular amount of talent to achieve what you have achieved, but it doesn't mean that everyone who comes to DCA (or DCI for that matter) as a novice instrumentalist is UN-talented. Unititiated, inexperienced perhaps, but you can't become a drum corps musician without talent, whether you're playing solos or 4th baritone parts. The fact that your friend was gakking solos doesn't necessarily indicate a lack of talent, maybe just insufficient skill to excel in the role into which the staff had placed him or her.

If you had known little Stevie Jones when he came to Bridgemen prior to going to Star, you might have mistakenly thought (because of his lack of experience) that he didn't have as much "talent" as some other contra players. Time certainly proved folks wrong about that one, no? I could go on and on. Talent is sometimes hard to put your finger on at first blush, and can't be measured by the numbers of degrees, but as Felix Frankfurter said about another hard to quantify item, "I know it when I see it."

I'm not - I have both raw talent and education. I was self taught and wouldn't had gotten into the school I did if I didn't have talent. I've heard plenty of people in drum corps without raw talent work really hard to overcome it and be successful in he drum corps idiom. That doesn't mean they have talent. Fenette? Talent and an incredible work ethic. Jerome? I would suspect he was gifted with talent, he's amazing. Bobby Keyes - a hard worker who made it through Star playing by rote. Joey Keyes? I say hard worker who developed great drum corps skills.

You are confusing talent with hard work IMO. And then there is talent vs. skill. Skills you can develop, talent you are born with.

Then again, I might be judging the definition of talent in a different way than you. I also don't think that a lack of experience=lack of talent. I am a professional level musician and I obviously have different standards.

I think the original poster meant to say he lacked musical experience instead of talent, but either way, if he wants to work hard enough, he can find a place in a drum corps.

I can agree to disagree with you on this one Ray, I hear what you are saying also.

Edited by SaraNYC

I'ma guard guy. The onlt corps I wanted to march that was feasible (local) was Freelancers.........when I was of marching age, they didn't have guys in the guard. Mistress kelli told me they had a contra hole and I could march that spot. I told her no, I wanted ot march guard.

to this day, I STILL kick myself for not doing what she said!

I'm pretty sure talent goes hand in hand with hardwork. Yeah some people might "get it" better than others but that may have been attributed to their early teachers. In my corps I know everyone has the talent to be there. While they are certainly not soloist material they can definitely hold their own. For those who even seem to struggle the slightest, the staff is there to give them a kick in the butt and get them on par with the rest of us.

I'm not - I have both raw talent and education.

You are confusing talent with hard work IMO.

I am a professional level musician and I obviously have different standards.

lying face down on the floor, gushing blood from every pore of his ego.....

I'ma guard guy. The onlt corps I wanted to march that was feasible (local) was Freelancers.........when I was of marching age, they didn't have guys in the guard. Mistress kelli told me they had a contra hole and I could march that spot. I told her no, I wanted ot march guard.

to this day, I STILL kick myself for not doing what she said!

I always thought that she had one of those deals where SHE kicked you for not doing what she said. (no???)

:thumbs-up: