Saw Crown's full run-through last night...

Because the name of the show was "Chess... and the Art of Strategy." So it was a chess game on the field. Made 100% sense with the show theme. :)

Mike

Ok, but they didn't move the pieces correctly for a chess game. Nothing about the theme really came across in the show, although at the end one of the Kings did fall down, or at least tilt. Still they were mostly distracting, however a good place to store gaurd equipment.

Edited by shawn craig

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, I'm excited.

Heavier visual demand.....improved percussion....

and the music is super. I listen to it quite often. I can't wait to get a good APD though. I'm interested to hear how much better they've gotten.

Go Cream Team

6. There is a small bit of something that alot of people on this board will probably object to, and some of it actually works pretty well in setting the stage for what is going on on the field, but I'm not going to say what it is because I don't want people to start going off on a tangent about something they've not even seen yet and saying that they don't like an entire show because of something going on that "distracts" them from enjoying the rest of the program.

HORSES?!?!1

HORSES?!?!1

Ya know, now that you mention it, I was wondering why the rifle line was spinning large shovels (it's a joke :P ).

Seriously, things are looking pretty good. The spoken parts are appropriate and are not obtrusive. Should be a very entertaining show!

Are the spoken parts early, middle, or late? :ph34r:

Oops

Edited by A27Lancer

I'm glad to see that Crown continues to be risk-takers and is trying to find the right use and balance of things like props and spoken parts. I'm tired of all the corps that sit back and play it safe/conservative, let the others take all the risks, and then implement the changes once the rest have taken the heat and worked out the kinks. Best of luck Crown!!!

News sounds good for our East Coasters.

And just so you guys know, top secret sources say that it is a combination of horses and speaking. That's right, lets welcome Mr. Ed to the field! :P

Ok, but they didn't move the pieces correctly for a chess game. Nothing about the theme really came across in the show, although at the end one of the Kings did fall down, or at least tilt. Still they were mostly distracting, however a good place to store gaurd equipment.

I always wondered about how the show would have worked out had we played out an actual 11 minute game of chess. They were useful as guide points when marching the opener, assuming the color guard put them in the correct place. Logistically they were, IMO, a pain in the ###. I would never want to deal with props that size ever again. We had to unload them in the morning, move them to the practice field, move them back, load them up, go to the show, unload them, move them to the field, move them off the field, load them up again. I wasn't on the chess piece loading crew but I did my fair share of moving the monsters. Yes, we had a separate "chess piece loading crew" consisting of about 8 marching members who were assigned to load and unload them every day. The props had their own tractor trailer as well. I personally think the resources that were used to create and manage them throughout the summer outweighed any visual benefit they added to the show. This is just my opinion, I'm no corps director, program coordinator, or program designer.

Or maybe I'm just bitter because a fairly talented hornline received a minimum of actual instruction in playing a brass instrument and ended up sounding like hot buttered unshaven donkey rump smothered in botulism cream sauce.

Interesting tidbit: I overheard Kevin Ford say that the chess show was originally supposed to be for 1990 Suncoast Sound.

I can't wait to see the 07 show, I'm expecting great things. I love the uniforms, minus the crotch-drapes.