1977 Bridgemen

I don't doubt it. You seem to have a keen sense for history. So I'm sure you bemoan the sorry state of hip hop, as I do.

What?! Of course not. I like to hear 50000 songs about prostitutes, cars, and...prostitutes.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a fairly well know incident where two horn players in 1989 Vanguard were discovered as being over age shortly before championship week and cut.

I also know of three specific incidents of other overage people marching in corps in the 80s and 90s which I will not be discussing.

Crossmen were a corps on the rise in 1976 but only thing I heard about the DQ was an article in Drum Corps News. And I thought they were caught before DCI Weekend but just checked corpsreps and they did not have a placement number from 1976 DCI.

And no slams to any of the corps involved, it's been 30 years so we should be able to inform the younger folks. (And jog the memory of us older folks.)

BTW - Got to see Muchachos do an exhibition the night after 1975 DCI. WOW!!!!

If I remember correctly, the Crossmen's overage member was discovered at the Sevierville, Tenn., show, which was part of DCI's first southern tour. The next night, they were in Atlanta, and stayed at my old high school. I remember they were all pretty bummed about it, and were wondering at that point what exactly it would mean for the corps.

I also got to see a Muchachos exhibition in 1975, but it was few weeks before finals, at the University of South Carolina. Wow, indeed.

If I remember correctly, the Crossmen's overage member was discovered at the Sevierville, Tenn., show, which was part of DCI's first southern tour. The next night, they were in Atlanta, and stayed at my old high school. I remember they were all pretty bummed about it, and were wondering at that point what exactly it would mean for the corps.

I also got to see a Muchachos exhibition in 1975, but it was few weeks before finals, at the University of South Carolina. Wow, indeed.

The time sounds right for the Crossmen DQ but can't find any hard info using Google. Almost all links I found are to discussion groups or Wiki which I've found almost useless.

Time for a new thread as now I'm interested in why no Crossmen at DCI?

Don't forget about the crack sales, bling and murder.

How the Hades can you play horn with a mouthful of gold crowns????

LOL, guess I have bling, bling as I have a gold crown on a molar.... :doh:

How the Hades can you play horn with a mouthful of gold crowns????

LOL, guess I have bling, bling as I have a gold crown on a molar.... :doh:

Actually, we were discussing the limited subject matter of today's rap/hip-hop music. Bling is certainly a over-represented topic.

I did play flugel (sp) horn and soprano with braces. It's amazing what you can train yourself to do if you really want it. Too bad I couldn't train myself to have any talent. :(

1977 (and 1978) Bridgemen certainly had talent in that horn line. :doh:

Overage marching was common before DCI enforced the rules in the mid to late 70s. Much less common now.

A note about SCV 89 - the two guys who marched overage were from the UK. They used forged birth certificates to fool SCV and DCI. Not sure how it was discovered, but when Royer found out, he told the two ######## that they had 30 minutes to leave before he told the corps that they might be DQ'ed because of their actions. They got out of there quick - they knew the corps would not be as kind as Royer.

WOW indeed! I saw them at prelims in Philly. :laugh::laugh:

WOW is definitely the word and I was a Madison lover but on that day I was hard pressed to pick my favorite corps and show of the day!!!