Drumline Colors

SCV had the green lacquer on their Premiers in 86, too. The first place we saw SCV that summer was B'ham, and when I told my other buds in the drumline "Hey, Vanguard has green drums," they were all, get out. Then they saw them on the starting line. Sweet.

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SCV had the green lacquer on their Premiers in 86, too. The first place we saw SCV that summer was B'ham, and when I told my other buds in the drumline "Hey, Vanguard has green drums," they were all, get out. Then they saw them on the starting line. Sweet.

Those were some great looking drums!

My bad! How could I have forgotten the green lacquer Premiers? We played on those basses in 1988 when we sent the '87 basses back to Pearl to be re-lacquered and get new rims (only the snares and tenors got new drums for '88). Those Premier basses were the lightest drums I have ever felt, before or since, and they saaaaaaaaaaang!!!

Ah, memories...

Further 1986 trivia for you fact hounds...

BD made the switch from Ludwig to Yamaha that year but, for the entire season (up until Nats), they marched with four Ludwigs in the center of the snare line (with Yamaha decals slapped on them). Apparently, Yamaha pitched a fit so the switch was made in Madison to ALL Yamaha. We (Valley Fever) toured with them all summer so we got to see them up close on a regular basis.

BD made the switch from Ludwig to Yamaha that year but, for the entire season (up until Nats), they marched with four Ludwigs in the center of the snare line (with Yamaha decals slapped on them). Apparently, Yamaha pitched a fit so the switch was made in Madison to ALL Yamaha. We (Valley Fever) toured with them all summer so we got to see them up close on a regular basis.

That is a cool story!! Thanks

My bad! How could I have forgotten the green lacquer Premiers? We played on those basses in 1988 when we sent the '87 basses back to Pearl to be re-lacquered and get new rims (only the snares and tenors got new drums for '88). Those Premier basses were the lightest drums I have ever felt, before or since, and they saaaaaaaaaaang!!!

Ah, memories...

IIRC the 89' drums are re-branded Premiers. This was when Yamaha took shop in England.

IIRC the 89' drums are re-branded Premiers. This was when Yamaha took shop in England.

Yep, but just the snare drums. Same thing in '92... the snare drums Cavaliers, Madison Scouts and Dutch Boy used were Premier free-floating snares with Yamaha badging, a Yamaha snare strainer and the added stabilizers at the bottom of the posts like the current SFZ/MTS snares.

I had heard something very similar to that but never had independent verification so thanks for info!

Can you imagine if DCP was around in '86... "OMG!!! Blue Devils switched from Ludwig to Yamaha! WTF are they thinking?!"

:whip:

Yep, but just the snare drums. Same thing in '92... the snare drums Cavaliers, Madison Scouts and Dutch Boy used were Premier free-floating snares with Yamaha badging, a Yamaha snare strainer and the added stabilizers at the bottom of the posts like the current SFZ/MTS snares.

I noticed that BD's black snares in '92 weren't free floaters. I just noticed that not too long ago either, after all these years.

I noticed that BD's black snares in '92 weren't free floaters. I just noticed that not too long ago either, after all these years.

Yeah, and I wish I could get my hands on one of those '92 snare drums Blue Devils used. That was the last time we'd see the Yamaha CorpsCustom snare drum, which IMHO, is one of the best sounding marching snare drums ever made.

Yeah, and I wish I could get my hands on one of those '92 snare drums Blue Devils used. That was the last time we'd see the Yamaha CorpsCustom snare drum, which IMHO, is one of the best sounding marching snare drums ever made.

That was the reverse-lug semi free floater, right? For those who never saw them, they had a standard maple shell, with an extra 10 (?) plies around the top head to stand the kevlar. The lug casings attached on the shell like before, but the exterior went straight down, and the metal had a half moon cutout, letting the shell resonate better.

we used them at Madison in 89-91 before going with the free floater/premier design as I recall.

Or, I could be old and remember everything wrong...