2007: Best Year Yet?

hmm, lets ask Magic, Capitol Regiment, and Kiwanis Kavaliers.

~G~

Wow...a parade...was just passing by and you had to be the little cloud of rain...didn't you...DIDN'T YOU? (just kidding) Had to put my dad's voice on for a minute.

First, we can't ask them because they are not here to ask.

Second, we could make a much longer list of all the corps who are no longer here. In fact, we can even list the reasons why each of them are no longer here. We could spend all that time, effort and energy.

Or we could spend our time celebrating the ones who have returned....way to go Troopers! We could also spend our time celebrating the rest of the corps who are still taking the field in the next two weekends.

And we can spend the time seeing what can be done to help the three corps who left this year so they can speedily return to the field if possible.

So, don't be a gloomy Gus! Turn that frown...upside down Mister. Remember what Up with People used to sing about. "We need a lot less people to worry about and a lot more people who care."

Thanks for giving me a platform to sound like my corny dad so close to Father's Day. I appreciate it.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This week I have really started to get excited. I'm still not going to go saying "best year yet" because I think we are all just pumped up right now about the season starting this weekend. :)

However, the buzz in California is going to be great, only because a lot of those fans have not seen drum corps in August......I can't wait to get out there!!!! :doh:

Yeah that sounds great. Too bad the only time I could get tickets to go back to Michigan to see family spans the full time that its happening out here. A little bummed about that.

I was going to let GMichael's comment go without adding to the list, but then Tom had to go and be 'dad.' No offense meant, good comments from both.

Sadly, the trend of corps going away hasn't slowed down since I came into the activity in 91. 2-3 corps go away each year, 4 in a "good" year. At least this year we have a couple returning faces! I'm just concerned that DCI is not set up to attempt to reverse the trend, we already ran off Bill Cook, and nobody else seems interested or capable of putting in the time, effort, energy, and green stuff that would be necessary to reverse the trend.

So the big corps get bigger, the small corps go away, and pretty soon there will be little or no activity to cheer for. G has a good point, and one that needs to be raised occassionally, lest we bury our heads in cheering for the dwindling number of corps that CAN field a show year in and year out and wake up one day to only 8 corps left. Don't think that we're too far away with $4 gas a distinct possibility!

Good point and necessary discussion--though maybe not in this thread.

Back on topic, I've said since finals last year that I see the potential for 2007 to be the best yet. 2006 was crazy good from a talent perspective and everybody is poised to kick it up a notch from last year.

2 non-finalists (at least!) poised to make runs for top 12 status

VERY elite 6-12 spots

tight competition to remain in 4-6 spots and/or advance

AMAZING top 3 last year, with the previous year's champs looking to get back into the winners circle and a newcomer looking to advance there for the first time.

Then there's D2/3 that I look forward to paying more attention to due to IMMENSE improvements in recent years.

So, yeah--give us fan-friendly and we'll give you our babies!

hmm, lets ask Magic, Capitol Regiment, and Kiwanis Kavaliers.

~G~

But... then no year before 2002 could be the best ever, because we didn't have Pacific Crest, Esperanza, or The Academy competing at finals. And no year after 1996 could be the best ever because we didn't have Velvet Knights, Sky Ryders or Freelancers competing at finals. What are we to do??? :doh: