With One Day Before the First Show

I guess some folks are making bold predictions and offering to perform outlandish stunts and acts if they are right.

I'm not so bold.

I just look at some factors which point me toward a first ever solo victory for the Phantom Regiment. Yeah, the tie in 1996 was a thrill, but this year, I have the hunch it's going to be a special season for the Rockford, IL corps.

So, why....

One...the drums are consistently great....not just a one year great...but consistently great.

Two...the horns are...nuff said.

Three...the visual program is like the drums....very consistent and very good.

Four...the guard...watch this un-narrated show be told...look for the emotion...feel the goosebumps on the back of your neck.

Five...the show is a good mix on new things and classic Regiment.

Six...there are at least two corps in the top 6 who are...in my estimation...going to have a down year.

Seven...they are going to receive a great snack in Tempe!

So...while I have little control over things DCI and based on history, they are a dark horse once again...and it should be BD's year in California...I'm picking the Regiment to drive out of Rockford...take a very peripatetic route throughout the country to Pasadena and pick up their second DCI Championship trophy.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no.

bd better, cavies even more better.

regiment sounded a little too crass for me.

The cadets hornline is SMOKIN'!

Tom,

I am sure you'll get tons of responses to the effect of "No. You're wrong. Corps X is better. So is Corps Y. And Corps Z." Even though not a single set has been marched in competition yet. That's just to be expected around DCP these days, with the maturity level so low that people can't disentangle themselves from their favourite corps.

I think that there are literally at least a hundred people on DCP who's thought processes go like this:

DCP Fanboy: CORPS X is the BEST! They do everything so well, they're going to win this year!

DCP Opposing Voice: Eh...they're ok. But I think Corps Z is going to win this year.

DCP Fanboy's Inner Monologue: <i>What!!?? What the heck is this guy smoking? How DARE he say that. He should love Corps X every bit as much as I do!</i>

A low-level flamewar usually ensues.

Perhaps I am exaggerating in jest, but...you have to admit that looks awfully familiar. I've come to FULLY understand that some people can't handle that others may not like the same things that they do.

You'll probably also get dire predictions, even though no one...and I mean NO ONE, not even the corps' staffs themselves, know what PR's, BD's, SCV's, Cavies', etc. shows are going to be like in a month.

Here is my two cents:

Until Regiment proves that it can surge to the top and catch not just one title, but several as the Cavaliers have done in the past decade, they are simply not going to get a lot of "love" at the beginning of a season. That's just the way of the world. And I am ok with it. I would love for Regiment to take the gloves off and just say "eff this junk...we're out for blood this year." I want them to come out with the attitude of "We're going to win" instead of "We want to win" or "We hope to win." That's just the way life is sometimes...they need to take what they want. And the only way to do that is to leave no doubt.

I have NO idea how Regiment will do this year...and even though I would LOVE to look at last year and the year before as indications of future success, I remember all too well that 1990 and 1991 were followed by the 1992 show, and that the 1996 and 1997 shows were followed by 1998.

Still...the elements are there. Shaw, Rennick, Thompson, Sage...these guys are good. Real good. And if they catch fire at the right time, well...I wouldn't count them out. But I also won't count them "in" until the last score is announced.

I'll believe Regiment winning the title when I see it. They've come so close on so many occasions but been so far away. Last year's second place finish was the classic example of awesome music, but a show that cannot compete with the class of the visual dpt (Cavs). That's not to say Phantom's visual program is bad, because it isn't. But if they had a program which could have competed with Cavies, let alone beat it, they would have won last year outright.

Edited by dciguy01

With one day before the first show ANYONE could take it all.

New Season.

New Crop of Kids.

New Show Designs.

New Judges Mix.

Is it likely anyone outside the top 6 will be crowned champion? Well.. no, not based on history.. but it is not ever outside the realm of possibility.

I think we need to start a prediction thread about how long it will take to overload the DCP servers tomorrow night waiting for scores.

Or which show night stands the best chance of doing just that..

Can't wait for the reviews to start!

Stef

Tom,

I am sure you'll get tons of responses to the effect of "No. You're wrong. Corps X is better. So is Corps Y. And Corps Z." Even though not a single set has been marched in competition yet. That's just to be expected around DCP these days, with the maturity level so low that people can't disentangle themselves from their favourite corps.

I think that there are literally at least a hundred people on DCP who's thought processes go like this:

DCP Fanboy: CORPS X is the BEST! They do everything so well, they're going to win this year!

DCP Opposing Voice: Eh...they're ok. But I think Corps Z is going to win this year.

DCP Fanboy's Inner Monologue: <i>What!!?? What the heck is this guy smoking? How DARE he say that. He should love Corps X every bit as much as I do!</i>

A low-level flamewar usually ensues.

Perhaps I am exaggerating in jest, but...you have to admit that looks awfully familiar. I've come to FULLY understand that some people can't handle that others may not like the same things that they do.

You'll probably also get dire predictions, even though no one...and I mean NO ONE, not even the corps' staffs themselves, know what PR's, BD's, SCV's, Cavies', etc. shows are going to be like in a month.

Here is my two cents:

Until Regiment proves that it can surge to the top and catch not just one title, but several as the Cavaliers have done in the past decade, they are simply not going to get a lot of "love" at the beginning of a season. That's just the way of the world. And I am ok with it. I would love for Regiment to take the gloves off and just say "eff this junk...we're out for blood this year." I want them to come out with the attitude of "We're going to win" instead of "We want to win" or "We hope to win." That's just the way life is sometimes...they need to take what they want. And the only way to do that is to leave no doubt.

I have NO idea how Regiment will do this year...and even though I would LOVE to look at last year and the year before as indications of future success, I remember all too well that 1990 and 1991 were followed by the 1992 show, and that the 1996 and 1997 shows were followed by 1998.

Still...the elements are there. Shaw, Rennick, Thompson, Sage...these guys are good. Real good. And if they catch fire at the right time, well...I wouldn't count them out. But I also won't count them "in" until the last score is announced.

I get jokes.

I would love for Regiment to take the gloves off and just say "eff this junk...we're out for blood this year." I want them to come out with the attitude of "We're going to win" instead of "We want to win" or "We hope to win." That's just the way life is sometimes...they need to take what they want. And the only way to do that is to leave no doubt.

Eerily, I had a conversation almost exactly mirroring the sentiment of the above quote with a good friend of mine this weekend on commercial breaks during the Tony Awards.

The only difference in opinion I have with it is to your last sentence above.

The only way to do that is to HAVE no doubt. You'll see it when you believe it.

Stef

I wouldn't mind Phantom Regiment winning it all this season. They have put on some spectacular shows. If they have an incredible show, then that's all I need.

Championship doesn't equal enjoyable.