Drum Corps Column

A little backround:

Currently, I write for my local newspaper as a freelance reporter and column writer on the "Listen Up!" page (a weekly publication for teenagers). Since I have a very busy summer, I'm unable to attend our weekly meetings; but I promised my editor that I would send columns in every week. This week, I couldn't think of a single thing to write, so I chose to write this one on drum corps. What you're about to read is a VERY ROUGH draft and I wanted to get our input on it. If you could take a few moments to read my article and give me honest (but not spiteful) input, that would be very much appreciated.

Thank you, and God bless.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Sound of Summer: Drum Corps

By Chris Thomas

There’s a musical genera out there that you may or may not be familiar with. New music from this genera comes out each and every summer, it’s played primarily by talented musicians no older than 22, and best of all: IT’S LOUD! You won’t hear this on the radio any time soon, if at all, but it has a loyal following of millions across the world. Though its instrumentation is limited, it makes due and creates beautiful music. Not only pleasing to the ears, but this music offers visual stimulation that would rival Houdini, David Copperfield, and Chris Angel. What on earth could I be referring to, you ask? The answer is drum and bugle corps.

So, what is drum and bugle corps? Well, just try to imagine your school’s marching band. Now shrink (or expand) it’s size to about 130-140 people. They’re only allowed to use brass instruments (trumpets, mellophones, tubas [called contra-basses in the drum corps world due to a difference of key]), percussion (snare and base drums, quad [tenor] drums, mallet percussion, timpani, and other different smaller percussion instruments), and flags. Now, imagine they had months to devote (nearly) their entire lives to the activity. That is a drum corps.

The roots of competitive drum and bugle corps go back to the end of World War I when buglers and drummers were no longer needed in the United States Armed Forces as forms of communication. The bugles were donated to VFW posts all across the U.S.A. and veterans started to form ensembles of veterans and their children to play in local parades and perform field shows. Little by little, though, VFW posts started to compete with other VFW posts in their towns to see who could toot their bugle, bang their drum, and march the best. Not long after that, The CYO, The YMCA, Police stations, churches, and Boy Scout troupes started to field corps of their own to provide a constructive, musical outlet for youths, especially teenagers, in their respective communities.

When drum and bugle corps first started, musical selections were limited to marches; but as time when on, popular folks songs, show tunes, classical music, jazz, and even popular music of the day were added to the mix. Today, you can find almost every type of genera of music, including an entirely different show outside of the field that feature nothing but drums.

The drill (marching portion) of most modern day drum and bugle corps can be described as breathtaking. In its infancy (and through most if it’s history to date) drum corps was limited to symmetrical shapes and straight lines. Now, corps makes formations and patterns that boggle the mind. Though corps are only allowed 150 members, drill writers can make the corps look as small as an eye needle, or spread the entire corps across the field.

I cannot truly describe drum corps for you. I myself didn’t really understand it until I saw it for myself. This summer, look beyond your horizons. There’s great music beyond the radio and it’s being played on fields here in the U.S. and all around the world. If you want to know more about it, I encourage you to look this fascinating activity up. Thousands of people our age take time out of their summer and travel all over, doing something they love. Drum corps: truly the sound of summer.

Bump. I really need feedback.

Hey I like but suggesting one posible addition for historys' sake..

The VFW wasn't alone in the after WWI corps action for veterans. American Legion Posts were just as involved as the VFW Posts.

Also as an aside, the AL started activities for the members sons (Sons of the American Legion) in the 1930s. One of the activities was Drum Corps which gave a big jump start to the Junior corps movement. VFW also had Junior corps but not sure when they started.

Hey I like but suggesting one posible addition for historys' sake..

The VFW wasn't alone in the after WWI corps action for veterans. American Legion Posts were just as involved as the VFW Posts.

Also as an aside, the AL started activities for the members sons (Sons of the American Legion) in the 1930s. One of the activities was Drum Corps which gave a big jump start to the Junior corps movement. VFW also had Junior corps but not sure when they started.

Thank you much. I'll make sure to make those changes. It's just...it seemed a bit rocky, you know. I just wanted to know what you guys thought.

I'd say, try not to use the words marching band at all in the piece, if possible. If you must use them, use them sparingly. These words will turn off all of the people that you're trying to send your message out to. They will immediately turn the page and brush it off as a military kind of marching band where geeks go to where busbies and play flutes.

I'd say, talk about the military history and try to avoid mentioning marching band. Try to mention the studies on Star of Indiana and the Cavaliers Tenor players with that breathing aparatus and make it sound jock-ish.

You will immediately make Drum Corps seem like an uncool thing if you mention marching bands being like drum corps. Use words and phrases like distantly similar, etc.

I'd say, try not to use the words marching band at all in the piece, if possible. If you must use them, use them sparingly. These words will turn off all of the people that you're trying to send your message out to. They will immediately turn the page and brush it off as a military kind of marching band where geeks go to where busbies and play flutes.

I'd say, talk about the military history and try to avoid mentioning marching band. Try to mention the studies on Star of Indiana and the Cavaliers Tenor players with that breathing aparatus and make it sound jock-ish.

You will immediately make Drum Corps seem like an uncool thing if you mention marching bands being like drum corps. Use words and phrases like distantly similar, etc.

True...I'll make a note of that.