Spirit last night

I did notice the visual demand placed on them this year (as opposed to say, last year, where there was lots of "park n' bark" sections)...I was wondering, is spirit typically a younger corps (average age around 18 or 19?)? I say this because age is a definite factor when writing a visual program like this. A corps like the Cavaliers, which is full of 21 yr old guys, has a little easier time with the physicality of shows than a corps that is younger.

Spirit returned a lot of vets this year. I can see them making up for the demand as the season progresses.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I can tell (and I looked for a while), this is the earliest Spirit has come out in the history of the corps. As for the Annapolis score, it really doesn't mean too much. There was a year in recent history in which the corps opened the season on June 20 and scored a 61.05. That year was 2002.

I agree with this, and I'm not sure why they run so much from "old Spirit." It is much better to have an actual identity than to try to find/create one. The trick is keeping it fresh. When is the last time they have done anything that could be confused with their shows from the 80's? Many fans (including me) have not even seen much of that, other than some jumpy video. Instead there has been Broadway, "Cavies-lite" and assorted other nebulous themes that have sometimes come off as disjointed pieces instead of a complete idea. The new uniform seems a personification of that - four different elements that are not necessarily working together.

Having an identity is a blessing. Have fun and be daring in it's variations, but embrace it! Who could do a better job with something moving about New Orleans? Genesis? That's an off-the-shelf idea.

I agree. I am not happy with the new uniforms/identity and the lack of embracing the "old" what worked formula. There are tons of ideas that could work while staying true to their roots. I sadly dont think this is going to be a good year for JSU, I felt it as soon as I saw those uniforms. ........sigh

~G~

Well, well, well..........Spirit got a 60 for a first score--so, now the scenario has changed a little for us. Lets look at it this way for ####s and giggles: Spirit = last place. Now we get to see if we CAN catch the others, pass them and please our fans over the next 8 weeks. So, now that Spirit has faultered(in the eyes and minds of some who are probably in some way affiliated with a corps that is a close competitor with Spirit) they are out there busting their's so they can kick yours =) (only in the friendliest, most fierce competitive manor!!!!!!!!!!!) GET EM SPIRIT!!!!!!!!!! Oh yeah, Tom Brace, I hope you'll like 'em the next time you see them.

~bradley

*edited for filter circumvention, TS

Or...just shoot the messenger if you don't like the message. The work given the corps is above their current ability. Three days would not have made much difference.

Tom, I started to get a bit tweaked about your 'educated' critique of Spirit and then I'm sure that I heard the rattle of a chain being yanked! I wonder how much time you have spent with them during the winter and all-days. I also wonder where you were seated in Annapolis, since you obviously attended the show (you must have, in order to have a better grip on what they are capable of than the Spirit staff).

Will Spirit get better. YES. Will other corps already ahead of them get better. YES. And I gotta believe Crossmen are going to be a top 12 factor. And if I'm right, last year's 12th place corps is already on the bubble.

But...as some of you pointed out...it's the first weekend. Crossmen haven't even taken the field yet. Maybe I make more out of this than needs to be made. Guilty as charged.

You must have also been at the Crossmen's camps in order to have some idea that they will be a "top 12 factor" - despite the fact that they haven't even hit the field yet. The points you attempt to make about Spirit are negated by your pure conjecture about Crossmen. I think your bias is starting to show.

Oh well, keep yanking chains. You clearly are getting through. Too bad you don't have any objective data to support your opinions.

I agree. I am not happy with the new uniforms/identity and the lack of embracing the "old" what worked formula. There are tons of ideas that could work while staying true to their roots. I sadly dont think this is going to be a good year for JSU, I felt it as soon as I saw those uniforms. ........sigh

~G~

Look, every talks about the "old" look that worked for Spirit, Freddy Martin liked the new unis. If Freddy Martin liked them.... I think the "new" will be ok. Oh, and they are not and never will be JSu.... They are Spirit from JSU....

Tom, I started to get a bit tweaked about your 'educated' critique of Spirit and then I'm sure that I heard the rattle of a chain being yanked! I wonder how much time you have spent with them during the winter and all-days. I also wonder where you were seated in Annapolis, since you obviously attended the show (you must have, in order to have a better grip on what they are capable of than the Spirit staff).

Will Spirit get better. YES. Will other corps already ahead of them get better. YES. And I gotta believe Crossmen are going to be a top 12 factor. And if I'm right, last year's 12th place corps is already on the bubble.

But...as some of you pointed out...it's the first weekend. Crossmen haven't even taken the field yet. Maybe I make more out of this than needs to be made. Guilty as charged.

You must have also been at the Crossmen's camps in order to have some idea that they will be a "top 12 factor" - despite the fact that they haven't even hit the field yet. The points you attempt to make about Spirit are negated by your pure conjecture about Crossmen. I think your bias is starting to show.

Oh well, keep yanking chains. You clearly are getting through. Too bad you don't have any objective data to support your opinions.

Ummm...WHEN Crossmen take the field, it WILL be enough objective data for me. Everything is going according to my evil plan. Now...get back to work. I need more mutant sea bass....and lase beams...yeah, yeah, more laser beams.

After just hearing the APD (and the show for the first time) I can stop being worried. I'm not saying that they are going to make finals for sure or anything of that nature, but the horns and drums sound really good. You can definitely tell they are on Kings now. I think they need to tighten up some of the parts and improve the pacing of the show some (maybe add some more moving lines and cut down some of the long chords). The drum book from the 2nd piece on is really cool too. I have a feeling they may add a little more "beef" to the beginning, and I am excitied to hear how the drums progess throughout the year. I am really pleased with the arranging for both music sections... especially the "evil sounding" section towards the back half of the show. Very cool.

Looking forward to ATL....

Edited by spiritsop01

I love the show especially the ballad. The ballad had a nice groove but there is no denying it... they have a lot of work they haven't had a show since so my assumption is that they have been practicing but I think they will place well and are going to have an awesome season...they have a lot of potential! :wacko: