Why did/do we do it?

I'm kind of smitten with the saying I hear batted about the Cavaliers' circles: If it's not good for the kids, what good is it?

I think by and large drum corps, for all that it's changed, is still "good for the kids." You're getting a one-of-a-kind education, making lifelong friends, making all those incredible memories that fuel a good chunk of the discussion here.

Yes, it costs thousands of dollars today to participate. And the economics of the activity, being artistic, being niche, tilt wildly toward the insane. (But then, go talk to the budget director of a city symphony orchestra... .) But plenty of parents spend good money to send their kids to summer camp, or Boy Scout camp, or drop big bills on diversionary toys, like new cars, or -- yuck -- surgically-enhanced body parts, etc. So consider the value drum corps kids get back.

Drum corps kids are going on to become professional musicians, and music teachers, and if not finding careers in music, then ending up more well-rounded and successful as a result of their experience. In Boy Scouts, the saying was that they were turning out good citizens. In my college choir, the director knew that many of his singers were engineers, scientists, homemakers. But he knew that because of their experience they would be more cultured, and appreciate music their whole lives. I believe, to a degree, drum corps perpetuates itself by creating the next generation of fans, folks who appreciate what's going on down on the field and fight to sustain the activity.

What you seem to be asking is having been through it, now that you're out of it, do you feel that connection anymore? Well, maybe, maybe not. But hopefully, for the sake of the activity, the numbers come out ahead.

Edited by ColtFoutz

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought of another reason today at work.

I was having a really bad day at work, until I decided to go to the Caballeros website and realized that I'm part of a great organization whose members are dedicated to something that I am also dedicated to (and that most people think is crazy).

the feeling you blew the crowd away at the end of the show is an amazing feeling, especially when yo usee the entire crowd on their feet going nuts. very satisfying.

YES,I WOULD SAY THAT "NAILS IT"!!!WHERE ELSE CAN YOU GET AN AUDIENCE OF THOUSANDS WITHOUT THE BENEFIT OF A MAJOR RECORDING CONTRACT?! ITS ALL ABOUT THE "ROAR" AT THE END OF YOUR SHOW!