Madison Scouts 2007

I to have spent alot of time with and around the corps sence Nov. I just spent 18 days with them on the road. Every question I have asked has been answerd, even some questions I did not ask were answerd !

OldBandGuy, Are you an Alum. ? If you are you should know all you have to do is call Jeff S. and he will enlighten you. As you also should know some family Biz. is just that " Family Biz. ! " If you are not an Alum. I have a question for you, " Would you share every little detail of your family biz.?" Would everyone expect you to ? " I think not."

If you are one of my Brothers I think you should take a few moment's to read the words to "The Song" and reevalutate your thoughts.

Bill Leslie

I would doubt this person is an alum, if they were, they would know where and how to question and voice opinions and who the proper people are to ask, rather than some anonymous forum where they don't list any info, including whether or not they marched in ANY corps.

If they are an Alum, you are right on with your suggestions Bill.

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim,

I am most assuredly with Vince on this. I respect the fact that you may be "on the ground" but that's not reality or attainable for most alums. I too have put in my time with the Scouts, most recently on the BOD and bar none the biggest complaint I regularly received was the perception of "information blackout". As with all dissemination of information, it's incumbent upon the individual to dig for the truth. Too often today, we want to rely on rumor and innuendo, or, "this is my opinion", or, "this is how I feel" ie, the danger of pure emotion in place of FACTS, thus the break down! With todays technology, this should be the exception rather then the rule. We seem to have lost the fine arts of logic and critical thought. That said, as a whole, the very recent past has not been an enviable model when it comes to the "two way street of communication" within the Scouts organization. Admittedly, this has had lasting effects. So much so that the new ED, Jeff Spanos agrees and I believe is working very hard to turn this around as are many on the new BOD. I truly believe in many regards we have turned the corner and are riding our self's of old skeletons. But it's going to be up to all of us though to keep this train on the tracks!

Sincerely,

Jerry H.

Jerry, you certainly have been in a position to get an earful about this in the past, so I definitely respect your position. I've PMed you and Vince to discuss.

Edited by Jim Anello

Jerry, you certainly have been in a position to get an earful about this in the past, so I definitely respect your position. I've PMed you and Vince to discuss.

My suggestion is rather than PM'ing each other, go to the board meetings! That is one area of the Scouts site where information is posted regularly regarding future meetings held each month... Corey and the staff are very busy, which is why very little has been posted recently. Believe me, when content is sent to the webmaster-it goes up almost immediately! I'm good friends with that person so I can say that fairly confidently! ;)

Alum's if you live in anywhere near the city, you should make a point to attend them... AND you would have an opportunity to address at that point too...

My suggestion is rather than PM'ing each other, go to the board meetings! That is one area of the Scouts site where information is posted regularly regarding future meetings held each month... Corey and the staff are very busy, which is why very little has been posted recently. Believe me, when content is sent to the webmaster-it goes up almost immediately! I'm good friends with that person so I can say that fairly confidently! ;)

Alum's if you live in anywhere near the city, you should make a point to attend them... AND you would have an opportunity to address at that point too...

Have the Scouts, or any other drum corps organization thought much about web conferencing or at least having a conference line available for their board meetings.

I mean it coud be set up so the callers are on mute but it would give them an opportunity to keep informed especially if they don't live in the Madison area.

Or perhaps a "pod cast" recording that could be downloaded by alums from the secured site. Again, just to keep people in the loop.

I work at a worldwide firm with many offices around the globe, but our board meetings can be streamed or downloaded and played by anyone in the company. Then a letter or email to the board, etc., would be much more based on the actual facts.

Just a thought. Take it for what it's worth. FTP is cheap and to set up the mics and a decent digital recorder, epecially for a corps who already amplifies their pit (not sure whether Scouts currently do or not) would mean the corps would already have mixing capabilities and microphones, and many staff members I've seen have used digital recording technology to publish .mp3s on line, etc. so I don't believe the idea is too far out there.

Heck, you could even charge people $500 annually to have access to the BoD podcasts for anyone who is not an alum as a fundraiser for those who really have to know the inner workings.

OK, that one is a little far-fetched.

Have the Scouts, or any other drum corps organization thought much about web conferencing or at least having a conference line available for their board meetings.

I mean it coud be set up so the callers are on mute but it would give them an opportunity to keep informed especially if they don't live in the Madison area.

Or perhaps a "pod cast" recording that could be downloaded by alums from the secured site. Again, just to keep people in the loop.

I work at a worldwide firm with many offices around the globe, but our board meetings can be streamed or downloaded and played by anyone in the company. Then a letter or email to the board, etc., would be much more based on the actual facts.

Just a thought. Take it for what it's worth. FTP is cheap and to set up the mics and a decent digital recorder, epecially for a corps who already amplifies their pit (not sure whether Scouts currently do or not) would mean the corps would already have mixing capabilities and microphones, and many staff members I've seen have used digital recording technology to publish .mp3s on line, etc. so I don't believe the idea is too far out there.

Heck, you could even charge people $500 annually to have access to the BoD podcasts for anyone who is not an alum as a fundraiser for those who really have to know the inner workings.

OK, that one is a little far-fetched.

Great Idea....just a simple webinar format....or a go to meeting thing...doesn't cost that much....and would be great for the Scouts...and everyone else for that matter.

Great Idea....just a simple webinar format....or a go to meeting thing...doesn't cost that much....and would be great for the Scouts...and everyone else for that matter.

Absolutely... That way those in attendence can elect members to the board of directors this October based on solid 1st hand experience over a period time! Be an informed voter... For reference, last years annual meeting barely had enough people to hold the BOD elections and at almost all meetings since, there were only one or two alumni members sitting in to follow what was going on. These meets are open and posted at the MDBCA section of the Madison website, including minutes reports for interested people to follow along and get involved, so until they have electronic options-get your ____'s over there and to the meetings to see whats going on. If you're really interested...

(Note: I think alumni from every corps out there could and should do the same thing... Ultimately everyone wants their corps to survive and be successful and actually, there are some interesting ideas that should be brought up, even if it's just to broaden their organizations perspective!)

FTP is cheap and to set up the mics and a decent digital recorder, epecially for a corps who already amplifies their pit (not sure whether Scouts currently do or not) would mean the corps would already have mixing capabilities and microphones, and many staff members I've seen have used digital recording technology to publish .mp3s on line, etc. so I don't believe the idea is too far out there.

Amplify their pit? Check out the apd. Way to loud. At the Racine show the pit almost drowned out the entire corps. I can't believe it's still SO loud. PLEASE turn it down. WAY down.

We had the pleasure of housing the Scouts on Thursday. For a snack we treated the corps

to some ice cream that we picked up at the local Krogers. The only flavor that they had 8 gallons of

was..."Superman". Scores since then have gone up each show, moving the corps from 21 to 17.

And, don't look now, but after Allentown (and all corps in front of the same judges) the Scouts are

3.75 from top 12.

I'm sure their hard work is paying off, but some of you Scouts alumni just might want to hit the

local Kroger store when the Scouts come near you.

Keep up the hard work Scouts!

We had the pleasure of housing the Scouts on Thursday. For a snack we treated the corps

to some ice cream that we picked up at the local Krogers. The only flavor that they had 8 gallons of

was..."Superman". Scores since then have gone up each show, moving the corps from 21 to 17.

And, don't look now, but after Allentown (and all corps in front of the same judges) the Scouts are

3.75 from top 12.

I'm sure their hard work is paying off, but some of you Scouts alumni just might want to hit the

local Kroger store when the Scouts come near you.

Keep up the hard work Scouts!

Superman Rules! :D

Amplify their pit? Check out the apd. Way to loud. At the Racine show the pit almost drowned out the entire corps. I can't believe it's still SO loud. PLEASE turn it down. WAY down.

So it should be noted that I had a good idea ok? Maybe this will get me off the troll list.

And also...I'm bringing something for the guys for snack in Tempe.

Looking forward to a great show.