Madison Scouts 2007

I saw Madison last night. There were problems, and some of the design made you think "what the f...?!", but it was definitely better than I expected. I'd put them around the level of the Crossmen or the borderline finals corps, but not being beat by the non-semis corps. I think they screwed up early in the season and now are stuck in the judging trend...once one set of guys puts Cascades/Troopers ahead, the next can, and so on. The brass really wasn't as bad as the scores have been showing, and there were good moments that offset some of the visual design issues.

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

" go madison scoring a 70 tonight b**bs

gotta show some love since they've been getting nothing but hate

also gotta love the mods closing anything that has madison in the title "

"... But no, just keep hurling all the unfounded BULL regarding the BOD and aforementioned individuals for all the world to read as fact. C'mon, I'd kind of expect this kind of thing from an ignorant fool, but an alum?? What's with all the venom and hate? What happened to all the positive life credos we learned as Scouts? Where's the positive vibes towards the current Organization and Scouts?

I'm out!

Bobbing Temples

Scouts 75-81

MSARP 06 "

Actually, when you review this entire thread; those that get started, are closed and are referenced to this one; and comments made in other threads relating to the Scouts show this year and in general... I see an OVERWHELMING amount of SUPPORT for the Scouts, and many POSITIVE statements. I also see realistic reviews and opinions about this years show (like the one just above this post), but when I read many of those I don't always read someone intentionally "kicking them while they are down" this year or constantly playing the "blame game" in their review... just giving a review of the show. And this year not everyone from a fan POV liked what they saw right out of the gates. But it is now changing, isn't it? ^OO^ From both a score POV and (I hope to be reading soon in reviews) from a fan POV also.

If you look back here in this thread... you will indeed find that the real "venom and hate" is more than easy to spot from literally LESS than just a handful of posters. Some of the criticism is not "venom and hate" filled, but well thought out points. It is my opinion that this years situation with the Scouts is the first one to ever really play out this way... with opinion and discussion so openly available for the masses to read... because although it seems like an old "been here forever" discussion board, it is really only in the last few years that this many people have joined and/or had this type of communication tool to openly discuss POV's, rumors, opinions and facts. Madison is really the first corps to both benefit AND be hurt by this type of forum in all the ways we have seen so far. Imagine if this type of discussion board was available when we lost 27th... or when the Kilts added girls to the corps... or VK folded... or Cavaliers didn't make finals in 1978... or most of Blue Devils drumline quit at the beginning of one season some time ago... or the management shake up at SCV a few years back had been discussed this openly... or when Cadets sang, and then DIDN'T sing "due to a one point penalty" "AMEN" in their show about 100 years ago... or when Muchachos and Bridgemen were disqualified from DCI... or the whole "Star of Indiana" and "Blast" thing... etc. etc. etc. Imagine THIS discussion forum and all the opinions, flame, defenses, support, disdain for, love of, hate of, etc for all of THOSE things from the past being openly discussed as much as this years Madison has. :rock:

The Scouts have been getting FAR more goodwill and positive support than the opposite overall from the vast majority of posters (here and elsewhere I find) anyway, which does indeed prove that they are a well loved corps overall NOT BY ALL, but indeed by most. And that is certainly OK... isn't it? :)

Edited by GGarrett

Actually, when you review this entire thread; those that get started, are closed and are referenced to this one; and comments made in other threads relating to the Scouts show this year and in general... I see an OVERWHELMING amount of SUPPORT for the Scouts, and many POSITIVE statements. I also see realistic reviews and opinions about this years show (like the one just above this post), but when I read many of those I don't always read someone intentionally "kicking them while they are down" this year or constantly playing the "blame game" in their review... just giving a review of the show. And this year not everyone from a fan POV liked what they saw right out of the gates. But it is now changing, isn't it? ^OO^ From both a score POV and (I hope to be reading soon in reviews) from a fan POV also.

If you look back here in this thread... you will indeed find that the real "venom and hate" is more than easy to spot from literally LESS than just a handful of posters. Some of the criticism is not "venom and hate" filled, but well thought out points. It is my opinion that this years situation with the Scouts is the first one to ever really play out this way... with opinion and discussion so openly available for the masses to read... because although it seems like an old "been here forever" discussion board, it is really only in the last few years that this many people have joined and/or had this type of communication tool to openly discuss POV's, rumors, opinions and facts. Madison is really the first corps to both benefit AND be hurt by this type of forum in all the ways we have seen so far. Imagine if this type of discussion board was available when we lost 27th... or when the Kilts added girls to the corps... or VK folded... or Cavaliers didn't make finals in 1978... or most of Blue Devils drumline quit at the beginning of one season some time ago... or the management shake up at SCV a few years back had been discussed this openly... or when Cadets sang, and then DIDN'T sing "due to a one point penalty" "AMEN" in their show about 100 years ago... or when Muchachos and Bridgemen were disqualified from DCI... or the whole "Star of Indiana" and "Blast" thing... etc. etc. etc. Imagine THIS discussion forum and all the opinions, flame, defenses, support, disdain for, love of, hate of, etc for all of THOSE things from the past being openly discussed as much as this years Madison has. :music:

The Scouts have been getting FAR more goodwill and positive support than the opposite overall from the vast majority of posters (here and elsewhere I find) anyway, which does indeed prove that they are a well loved corps overall NOT BY ALL, but indeed by most. And that is certainly OK... isn't it? :)

GGarrett,

You don't have to be concerned with my views of open discussion and the blessings that come with it. To the contrary, it’s the dysfunction of my Scout family that I'm most concerned with! (I thought that would have been quite evident) You know, the whole "united we stand, divided we fall" thing?......That's all.

Thanks for your concern though!

Sincerely,

Bobbing Temples

aka, The Jester (MSARP)

Geno is right. 99.9% of the criticism was coming from 3 people. It's fine to be a critic, just not an uninformed one.

I also agree with Jerry. Generally, the Scouts administration is very hush-hush. This creates an information void that trolls can exploit. If someone would just post some accurate, first-hand information about the corps, it would douse most of the flames. The current administration is better about communicating, but still...

It seems like the Scouts and many alumni shy away from DCP because of the trolls. But there are literally thousands of people who read this board. Less than 1% are trolls. Most are just looking for information. The corps could be using this more effectively by posting announcements on a regular basis. Also, member journals seem to be very popular. It's basically good, free publicity if you choose to take advantage of it.

It makes you wonder what rehearsal techniques are being used, that is all. It wasn't a negative comment. I find it hard to believe that a corps has only improved three points in two weeks.

That's because it's not true. Their score has improved five points over the past two weeks. :music:

Yeah...those darn trolls.

Those three people should be ashamed of themselves.

"Hey, I didn't get a hurrrmph out of that guy!"

Heh...nice Blazing Saddles reference, dude. :)

Anyway, it might not be trolling for some cases.

I know I'm a big Madison fan and to see them so low...I guess I feel a little let down by it. I know they're giving it their all every night, but I've always thought of Madison as a part of the drum corps elite. It shouldn't be a question of getting into the top 12 but rather how far into the top 12 can they get.

I tracked the Scouts out given their last week of improvement. It appears like an 84-85 is within reach. That's not bad considering the start of the year.

The only thing that I hear from fans is "the best part of the show is the wamup" which I guess is ok, because first impressions matter and all. I don't think the staff cares whether it's judged or not. It's like a statement to the paying fans. It says, "Hey...here we are. We ARE the Madison Scouts!" I think that's all cool.

The other thing I continually hear from fans is the ending of the show wasn't what they expected. They wanted the big, in your face, typical Madison ending. This has been the source of disappointment to some who expect to be able to throw the small appliances and children on the field.

I continually remind myself that other corps' endings aren't "fully developed" either and I hold out hope for something more in the face come Tempe and Finals week. We'll see.

I think one of the most amazing stories come finals week may be the rise from the early season ashes of this corps. If they dial in an 85 and get a 13th-14th, that will be amazing given all the facts. Low pre-season audition turnout, completely new battery, completely new staff, and most likely a lower season budget than most of the other corps in Div. I.

If they can truly bring the budget part of this together for the long term, the may be able to show the rest of the activity that you don't need to spend over a million every year to give the members a great summer experience with outstanding accomplishments.

So maybe, just maybe, all the pains of the last 7 odd years will be worth it and this can be a solid forward direction for the Scouts.

It is one of the corps I cannot wait to see for myself on August 4.

Heh...nice Blazing Saddles reference, dude. :)

Anyway, it might not be trolling for some cases.

I know I'm a big Madison fan and to see them so low...I guess I feel a little let down by it. I know they're giving it their all every night, but I've always thought of Madison as a part of the drum corps elite. It shouldn't be a question of getting into the top 12 but rather how far into the top 12 can they get.

Well, I'm certain you aren't considered one of the trolls for sure. I just hope those three trolls are ashamed of being so misinformed.

Well, I'm certain you aren't considered one of the trolls for sure. I just hope those three trolls are ashamed of being so misinformed.

Yeah, I hear ya.

But, I know it will be a struggle for them to even reach semi's this year and if they place in the higher teens, I know that means a lot; but I'll still feel a little dissapointed. I mean...we're talking about the Madison Scouts. This corps almost defines the activity. Not only are they one of the oldest corps in the world, but one of the most successful. To see them fight just score a 70...it's like I'm looking at a whole 'nother corps.

Edited by dccorpsfan