BD and SCV

Maybe you should Think before putting your thoughts into your fingers and typing them.

~G~

Isn't that what forums are all about?

Anyways ...Im done fighting about this...I guess we're both wrong in some or many ways...

Im just going to stop there I realized that some of my statements weren't polite and didn't know at the time people would get so ###### off about "me" giving "my opinion".

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, how is your corps doing this year. I wonder how many people are glad to see your corps inactive this year....as if anyone would even have cared ???

~G~

Blah, blah, blah...the captain of the P.C. Police reporting for duty I guess. Wonder if you would feel the same if the comment was directed at SCV ?? Wether I care or not if corps fold is not the point, and not an issue here. Pointing out that what I said to him , as hurtful as it could be taken, was just as bad as what he posted with no care or regard to anyone that marched BD or is a fan of BD. And a case of giving a taste of his own medicine.

~G~

Way to go. You show'em what real class is! See old people can be just as juvenile as young people! Yowza! Yowza! Yowza! Take that maturity!

Anyway... Bd's show, like most early season BD, leaves me very flat and uninspired. The drum line is on fire and the hornline is very loud, but that's where it ends. The horn book is thin and lacks a rounded out sound. There is no bottom to it. In talking with some others more versed in brass than myself we decided that the best way to describe it is that it lacks torque. That said, BD usually makes major modifications and ends up with at least a decently entertaining show or even a great one (like 2000 or 2006). The difference being that last year in june I heard the potential for a great show. This year I don't know where it's gonna come from.

With Vanguard, though there is more dirt, the show is beautifully designed. The brass sound is so rich and full it's incredible, you can feel it in your whole body. From start to finish it holds your attention. I don't know whether or not they have a ring in them or not, but they have put together a spectacular show. It is (pardon the expression) like, "taking a bath in chocolate", whereas BD's is more like getting sprayed in the face with a hose.

Edited by frontline99

With Vanguard....It is (pardon the expression) like, "taking a bath in chocolate", whereas BD's is more like getting sprayed in the face with a hose.

I LIKE this analogy....frankly, I'd say it rings true throughout MUCH of (not ALL of) the history of both groups. I marched Devs because I liked the top-heavy sound. However, I've always enjoyed "bathing" in the richness of SCV's hornline as well. Well put!

On another note (but still on topic), I got to catch a bit of SCV's rehearsal today. They were working on the closer. There were no stands, so I was watching/listening from field level, but man, it left me hanging. I'm sure seeing the drill will help (in fact, I could tell there is some darn cool stuff happening), but the musical book left me wanting for more. I assume they'll be a little more aggressive with it after an afternoon nap. I was told they got off the buses at 6:30 AM, had a snack and went to rehearsal. I'd be lagging too! We'll see how it all plays out tonight! I then proceeded to the Devs site which was listed INCORRECTLY on their site (38th street is a LONG way from 83rd in Phoenix), and they were done by the time I arrived. GRRRRRR.

Anyway, besides all the bickering on this thread, I've really enjoyed everyone's legit evaluations and perspective's on these two corps. Good times...and GO DRUM CORPS!

Blah, blah, blah...the captain of the P.C. Police reporting for duty I guess. Wonder if you would feel the same if the comment was directed at SCV ?? Wether I care or not if corps fold is not the point, and not an issue here. Pointing out that what I said to him , as hurtful as it could be taken, was just as bad as what he posted with no care or regard to anyone that marched BD or is a fan of BD. And a case of giving a taste of his own medicine.

~G~

Captain of the P.C. Police?!! I don't ####### think so... And yes if someone posted a disparaging remark against SCV, I would be just as unimpressed if someone else pulled a corps from the original poster's sig and exclaimed no one cares that said corps went inactive.

What bothers me about the exchange is that person A slams a corps and person B pulls a corps from person A's sig and slams that corps in return, but that corps did not attack person B, it was Person A attacking a corps Person B cares about. The revenge here is completely misdirected.

Oh, and I think blah was from my second post, but I didn't use that many of them. :P

My second post is also where I had already apologised for my needless intervention, explaining that the original exchange just irked me, causing me to throw in my 2 cents in the first place...

B)