After listening to the APDs

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1st Phantom Regiment - Okay, since I first posted this, I hadn't listened to these guys. When they're all standing still, they can't be beat! However, "on the run" as someone else on here put it, they lose a lot of low brass and the mellophones go a little laserphone. Achilles heel?

post 2000...always has been. Especially in 2003 and 2004. All park'n'play, they are good at that. Since last year, they have gained a sort of more visually demanding mentallity, aka, more butt hauling. Last year was not as bad...They played really well "on the move". I hate to hear they are back to that. Ill see them in Louisville.

I have listened to/seen (internet) all of the top 7 corps, but I have not seen any show live (yet...), and I only have the high quality APDs of Crown, Cadets, Bluecoats, Cavies, and Phantom. As far as the APDs go, my favorites are as follows...

1. Crown (I went to high school in a town beside Fort Mill, SC, so I am crazy biased and not afraid to admit it. Besides that, their show has a good bit of musical substance and features a great ensemble sound)

2. Phantom (Very nice music. I can't wait to hear the corps when they start hitting their stride.)

3. Cavies (The music is just fun to listen to and it is played well)

4. Bluecoats (Really cool show, but the APD doesn't really reach out and grab me.)

5. Cadets (I really like the music, but again with the "you know what...")

I was gonna say, hasn't anyone listened to Crown?! I think their music is absolutely stunning. Their brass sounds just as fantastic as it's sounded the lsat few years.

I was gonna say, hasn't anyone listened to Crown?! I think their music is absolutely stunning. Their brass sounds just as fantastic as it's sounded the lsat few years.

Agreed. Their show this year is a pleasant surprise. In previous years their show has been so mellow, but this year there's definitely some more fire in their crotches!

:P

post 2000...always has been. Especially in 2003 and 2004. All park'n'play, they are good at that. Since last year, they have gained a sort of more visually demanding mentallity, aka, more butt hauling. Last year was not as bad...They played really well "on the move". I hate to hear they are back to that. Ill see them in Louisville.

"All park'n'play"??? Are you friggin' joking? Go watch the 02 and 03 dvds (especially 02, it was terrible designed but we were flying for almost the entire show) and see how much park and play you see outside of the ballads. Same with 04-06, although I didn't experience them firsthand. What, do you automatically equate less than stellar visual design (from 02-04) with standing still? What a load of uninformed horsecrap.

Edited by Loud-is-good

"All park'n'play"??? Are you friggin' joking? Go watch the 02 and 03 dvds (especially 02, it was terrible designed but we were flying for almost the entire show) and see how much park and play you see outside of the ballads. What, do you automatically equate less than stellar visual design with standing still? What a load of uninformed horsecrap.

I remember '02 quite well. PR was moving their butts, though I agree the drill wasn't too complex (but thats for another place and time to discuss)

I remember '02 quite well. PR was moving their butts, though I agree the drill wasn't too complex (but thats for another place and time to discuss)

Oh yeah, the drill itself was horrible (same with 04 and, to a lesser extent, 03), but that wasn't because it was a bunch of standing still. It was just #### poor design that happened to still contain a ton of running around.

So I just listened to the Colts APD. All I have to say is WOW. I am bummed I had to turn down the spot that they offered me. It seems as if this year is it. It seems as if the staff has kept their word, I wish them the best of luck! Get some COLTS!

RED TEAM!!!

Just downloaded Pioneer. Although it's immediatly clear you're listening to Pioneer, it's a different show.

I was impressed with the volume of the brass. They seem very unclear still and many individual errors, but tons and tons more exciting than previous years. They have some speedy stuff in there and they don't execute that well yet.

The Percussion in NOT overpowering the horns and they seem to have found balance. The arrangements are fun, audiencefriendly and even jazzy.

I think that this is clearly the best I have heard Pioneer in the past 5 seasons.

Where are the APDs for SCV and BD? I thought only the Annapolis and Omaha shows were up.

The Walnut, CA, APDs are up now!