Thousands of marching members will lose over and over

Why is it that you have to have a number assigned to your corps to validate your selfworth. Every individual has a unique experience each performce and most of the time it will have nothing to do with a score. I think achievement should be self realized through total engagement of the experience every day of the year not just 40 shows on tour. I can't remember the last time I ever waited to hear the scores at show.

Mom

IMO that is a position that has a whole lot more substance than what you started this thread with (all the kids that aren't in the corps in 1st place are "losers").

Either you believe this should be a competitve activity or you do not - apparently you do not. An argument can be made that, while the activity has extreme athletic requirements, it is essentially an entertainment event and scores should be removed. It would be interesting to see what would happen to the rate of participation in the activity if scores were eliminated. I would be willing to bet that participation rates decline dramatically. I LOVED the competitive aspect of the activity at every level, however I did not feel like a loser in 43rd place at DCI in 84 nor did I feel loser in 2nd place (perhaps a little po'd :P ).

The scores are just one piece of a large experience for the kids. I don't think there is any danger in harming their psyche if they do not do as well competitively as they would like. They still have the experience, the comaraderie, the fan appreciation, the learning, the personal growth, etc. They will be ok.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it does have everything to do with the US falling behind. We have a society of growing percentages that has a sense of entitlement versus the one that our elders of the Traditionalist generation built based on hard work and competition. When you look at the 4 generations that make up our current society and the events and things that molded them it becomes increasingly apparent that we are wanting to make things easier and are also creating a generation that feels they are entitled to everything and they are the best at everything. Why does each of them feel they are the best? It is because we as parents are always telling them that to help build their self esteem yet they are never having to be evaluated to give them a more honest assessment of their skill set.

That in its own is why I feel there should be competition and scoring in more everything that is done because at some point it is going to smack some of these kids in the face and they are not going to know how to deal with it for one and then be able to overcome the adversity to make themselves even better.

If someone is really interested in generational tendencies and a way to better understand the past and the current generations there is a great book called "When Generations Collide" by David Stillman.

JMO

Maybe placements should be illiminated except on the weekends or the last week of the season to minimize the causualties.

Mom

I thought winning didn't matter in this activity to begin with.

It's people like you who think they have such great ideas, actually have the worst ideas. Of course, the rest of us are ignorant.

That in its own is why I feel there should be competition and scoring in more everything that is done because at some point it is going to smack some of these kids in the face and they are not going to know how to deal with it for one and then be able to overcome the adversity to make themselves even better.

Conventional wisdom says competition brings out the best in people, but studies prove otherwise (especially when it comes to creativity.) But the complete lack of competition/honest evaluation/etc is worse. In Drum corps, all people should care about is that judges are putting them in the appropriate boxes. Don't worry about the SCORE itself.

If someone is really interested in generational tendencies and a way to better understand the past and the current generations there is a great book called "When Generations Collide" by David Stillman.

I'll be looking for it.

Edited by Tekneek

It's "eliminate." :laugh:

And if scores are the only thing that matters to you, then you're missing out. A score is simply what a panel of judges thinks about your show. The scores have nothing to do with rating the life lessons you have learned and/or the friends you have made during your experience.

It's just a number that will probably get disputed anyways. Corps score higher than they should and lower than they should. For example, you'll never hear 100% of all drum corps fan saying that The Cavaliers 2002 show and The Cadets 2005 show both merited a 99.15 on Finals night.

I think Snappettes is afraid that people's egos are going to be crushed if they come in second, every few days...

Ot maybe he's just trying to lighten the situation. It's sad how most people actually take these topics serious. I thought drum corps people had a sense of humor.

It's "eliminate."

Are you sure? Given that Snappette's Mom wrote this, "illuminated" may have been his intention and the spelling Nazi just popped out of the wordwork. :laugh:

Edited by sburstall

Or maybe he's just trying to lighten the situation. It's sad how most people actually take these topics serious. I thought drum corps people had a sense of humor.

What is this "Sense of Humor" that you speak of?

:P

I'm surprised this one got this much response!

^OO^ to Mom for his most successful thread yet!

You call it successful.

I call it a chance to try out my sarcasm.