Thousands of marching members will lose over and over

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys, the problem is not the scores and the placements. It is the significance some people may be attaching to those things. I truly believe that anybody involved with the activity that is defined by the scores and placements of their corps is lacking depth of character. What is really important is the effort put into it. Whether or not that is rewarded by the judges is another issue, but individual members should not be consumed by that or define themselves by it. The competitive stuff is a part of the activity, but that isn't really what it is all about. It is a shared experience and people in corps of any size and any placement can generally relate to each other because the 'drum corps experience' is shared by everyone who takes part in it.

People win and lose everyday in the REAL world and thus the earlier and more consistently you learn to deal with both sides of it the better you will be in the long run. This whole push from society about not keeping score or no winners or losers is a load of crap. I believe this is why the US continues to fall behind in more ways than we will admit as a country at this point.

Obviously in my years in Drum Corps I was on both sides of the equation with some being warranted and some that I will still debate today but I was presented with the results and thus learned how to deal with it and learn from it. IF a child is going to let a judging system that is flawed in that it lets personal bias of a judge to a particular style control their opinion of themselves then they really do need the exposure to the competition and the harsh reality that we do not always have control over situations that we win or lose. That is maybe one of the biggest lessons they can learn from a summer of DC that they can carry into the business world. The other being the ability to push yourself beyond limits that you could ever imagine with the goal of making yourself and your corps finals presentation as good as it can possibly be.

People win and lose everyday in the REAL world and thus the earlier and more consistently you learn to deal with both sides of it the better you will be in the long run. This whole push from society about not keeping score or no winners or losers is a load of crap. I believe this is why the US continues to fall behind in more ways than we will admit as a country at this point.

I heard a judge on NPR, who deals with kids who are getting into trouble at school. One of his quotes to them really stuck, he said something like "Life is a competition, and every moment that you spend out of school is a moment your competition is spending getting better." I'm paraphrasing of course, but you can substitute just about anything in the place of "school": in our case, drum corps.

I'm not saying that you have to be totally strict.

But come on now.

At least have a good topic every once in a while.

In slight defense...I'd say 6+ pages makes this a pretty good topic.

I don't think it has anything to do with the US falling behind anything. The US is falling behind simply because it wants to. You have an aristocracy that runs businesses and attempts to extract more compensation than the business can even afford to pay them, so technology/knowledge is shipped to other countries to keep their gravy train on the tracks. You have another aristocracy in government that can't stop putting their hands into everybody's pocket, which prices our labor/services/products higher than other places. Put them together and you've got a society that is going to steadily fall backward over time. It has nothing to do with everybody in little league getting the same trophy.

So we have an obvious person trolling and starting a pointless thread and it has lasted 6 pages? Mods?

Regardless of what other threads our OP may have started, there is a serious discussion to be had here regarding the merits of scoring shows against each other. In fact, that discussion seems to be slowly winning out over people who dismiss the topic out of hand, simply because of who created it.