I think most corps have brought their prices up in the last 3-4 years. My first two seasons were a steal.

The rise in price has led to the members staying in dorms when possible, so that's definitely a plus.

Edited by Jayzer

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I could not afford to march corps today if I were under 21.

$2000? YIKES!!!

No one has even mentioned to travel costs involved in geting to audition and rehearsal camps. Not a big deal if you live down the road an hour or two but what about those corps members who live several states away and have to drive many hours or fly in. You can add another $1000-1500 to your member's total cost for travel expenses as well.

On top of that I won't even mention the cost incurred when My son and three of his corps family rolled his car at 4:00 one morning on the ice on the way back from camp. Fortunatley no one was serioulsy hurt and insurance pretty well covered th cost of the vehicle but would anyone like to calculate the cost of that phone call home at 4:05 am?

All things considered, it's a pretty expensive activity

My first year of marching Regiment, it was $600. No camp fees, just $600. I don't even recall if there was an audition fee....Duane? Chris? Was there?

By my second year, the fee had climbed to $750. It stayed that way my third year.

In the fourth year, the year of the unholy director, the fees climbed up to $1000 (I assume part of that was to pay his salary, as the position became a full-time job if I recall correctly).

I have no idea what they charge nowadays...would probably shudder to know. :)

I remember it being around 600-ish (not counting road-trip camp travel expenses from Dallas to Rockford monthly - oy!)

How much do summer camps costs that go from Memorial Day to the second weekend in August?

I chaperone a student travel program for 3 weeks every summer and it costs each student $5000+. While drum corps costs are high for sure, they are in line with other youth activities during the summer.