CURRENT STANDINGS

The same should go for Mr. Covington...if you don't have anything nice to say...well, you get the drill...oh, thats right you don't...!

Usually I wouldn't continue on with an argument like this, but I'm failing to see where exactly James did anything wrong to make you attack him like that? Was it simply the fact that he didn't even mention Spartans in his post?

(I don't know if your last comment is supposed to be a stab at me because of the quote in my signature, but either way, nice pun :) )

Edited by Carl306

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, that doesn't mean anything...is he in a corps this year? No, ECJ folded! He would not have been able to handle the stamina of the Spartans.

wow, with fans and alumni like you, who need enemies? :laugh:

btw, how about that battlin' between Mempho and Fever for first spot in Div III. I can't wait to see how both of these corps do over the course of the season. ^OO^

Edited by DCIDanny

And you couldn't get after him without using a Corps? Mature.

I don't understand your quip.

In any event, the Spartans are very good (I saw them in Rome the other night). They are incredibly well trained, and do everything fundamentally well, especially the brass and guard.

What they do not have, however, is strong design...at least in the drill. They spend the majority (at least 80%) of the show in the 112-132 tempo pocket, and only venture above that on two occasions, and in those two cases, only for a short time. At no time do they go really fast. In addition, they do not challenge the corps at all from a step-size perspective. There is little to no simultaneous responsibility in the show.

The music is typical Key Poulan original material. Musically and visually, there is nothing to promote the show theme except the flag designs. What they do, they do incredibly well. But what they are asked to do is not challenging at all, and they will suffer for it.

I expect to see both Jersey Surf and Teal Sound pass Spartans by as they progress. Teal in particular has a far superior show design (especially musically, and if the drill progresses as I expect, visually as well).

wow, with fans and alumni like you, who need enemies? :laugh:

btw, how about that battlin' between Mempho and Fever for first spot in Div III. I can't wait to see how both of these corps do over the course of the season. ^OO^

And the battle between Dutch, Revo and Impulse for third. It will be very interesting to see what happens when they are all on the same field together! Can you guess who I'll be pulling for???

I don't think anyone has ever succesfully criticized the Spartans visual design formula. Coupled with a very clean guard, they have consistently been in the to 2 in visual since 2003.

The only group that can hang with Nashua this year is Surf, believe it or not. I read where Fred Marier wrote the guard book and the ECJ guys are writing/teaching visual.

No way Teal catches up, especially visually.

I don't understand your quip.

In any event, the Spartans are very good (I saw them in Rome the other night). They are incredibly well trained, and do everything fundamentally well, especially the brass and guard.

What they do not have, however, is strong design...at least in the drill. They spend the majority (at least 80%) of the show in the 112-132 tempo pocket, and only venture above that on two occasions, and in those two cases, only for a short time. At no time do they go really fast. In addition, they do not challenge the corps at all from a step-size perspective. There is little to no simultaneous responsibility in the show.

The music is typical Key Poulan original material. Musically and visually, there is nothing to promote the show theme except the flag designs. What they do, they do incredibly well. But what they are asked to do is not challenging at all, and they will suffer for it.

I expect to see both Jersey Surf and Teal Sound pass Spartans by as they progress. Teal in particular has a far superior show design (especially musically, and if the drill progresses as I expect, visually as well).

I don't think anyone has ever succesfully criticized the Spartans visual design formula. Coupled with a very clean guard, they have consistently been in the to 2 in visual since 2003.

The only group that can hang with Nashua this year is Surf, believe it or not. I read where Fred Marier wrote the guard book and the ECJ guys are writing/teaching visual.

No way Teal catches up, especially visually.

I think you're in for a shock then.

Right now, Teal isn't even moving a complete show. When they are, look out.

As for the music side, they have a MUCH better (and far more challenging) brass book, and the same goes for the percussion. In fact, the battery looks like DCI's version of the Reading Buccaneers in style and flavor. Teal Sound will fly past Spartans in all musical captions by mid-summer.

As for the visual side, their drill is orders of magnitude more difficult, and is far more visually engaging. They also offer a much wider variety of tempos, step sizes and moves. Once they get it finished and clean (clean being the operative word here), they will outscore Spartans. The really interesting thing to watch in the war between Spartans and Teal, visually speaking, will be if Teal can get their harder drill clean enough to best Spartans' squeaky-clean easy drill.

Guard wise, I think they are pretty close, or will be at the end. Spartans were finished, Teal wasn't (at least in Rome).

As for Surf...Surf has a very entertaining and engaging program...probably their best in years. The question will be if they can clean it with their reduced schedule. I don't think they will be able to clean it enough to win in the end, but they can sail past Spartans by the end of the month.

And the battle between Dutch, Revo and Impulse for third. It will be very interesting to see what happens when they are all on the same field together! Can you guess who I'll be pulling for???

Revo? :P

That's true to a point. Spartans have one of the cleanest visual programs going into finals, but there's usually nothing very extordinary about it really. It's a very basic program IMO.

Revo? :P

OUCH, right between the eyes !! :laugh::lol::doh: