Equipment question - snare drum size

I don't roam the parking lots anymore, and the view from the stands is (at least to my eyes) inconclusive. What's the "standard" shell depth/head size for field snare drums these days? Is there any variation, or is everyone pretty much using the same size drums?

Thanks in advance,

Fred O.

Standard snare head is 14" these days; I seriously doubt anyone is using anything else.

Edited by davidfromthepit

Standard snare head is 14" these days; I seriously doubt anyone is using anything else.

Thanks for the info. Weren't some folks experimenting with those little 10" x 13" drums for a while a couple of years back? Or was/is that only in the indoor drum arena?

Fred O.

From what I understand, the smaller drums are (now) designed with the indoor folks in mind. I believe Yamaha (maybe others) have a 14" bass drum also.

BK 01 used indoor drums for that year....that was it.

Standard size for outdoor is 14x12. Companies like Pearl and Dynasty make an "indoor" snare which is 13x9, but lately more and more indoor groups have been using 13x11 as their snare size.

Yea the 13x9 or 13x11 is really preference on the sound you want and size of your group. The 13x9's are design specifically for indoor while the 13x11's are not.

I beg to differ. :P

cavie_19599.jpg

12x15 with mylar heads, baby...

Edited by mobrien

Thanks for the info. Weren't some folks experimenting with those little 10" x 13" drums for a while a couple of years back? Or was/is that only in the indoor drum arena?

Fred O.

Phantom used those (or ones kind of like those) in the late 90s...98 comes to mind, I'm not quite sure what other years, but I believe there were a couple.

Phantom used those (or ones kind of like those) in the late 90s...98 comes to mind, I'm not quite sure what other years, but I believe there were a couple.

That's right, happened during their "khaki" years while Brian Mason ran the line. Also, Cavies used 13s in 95 for part of their Planets show, and I think used them also in 94.