Stillwater, MN

I was told that the opener drill was all new last night. So the past several shows have been shaky because they have been learning new drill, not having time to clean the existing drill, and then having to perform the existing drill. Learning rewrites stink. If they have a few days in a row to clean what they have, you'll start to see some big improvements in all sections of the corps.

Andy, thanks for your comments here. Madison has changed the whole first 3rd of their show over the past 5 days to help the guys be more successful in the pursuits of excellent music, GE and visual captions. You will see a whole new show by Allentown as the talented staff, design team and admin make corrections to the show AND as they learn their new responsibilities as a leadership team. The Men of Madison are extremely motivated and talented as well. I am confident the corps will be great in the coming weeks. The whole team is working/improving those things that are within their control and are participating in the competitive feedback process.

We as supporters, fans and alumni need to be patient and give the whole Madison system a chance to be successful. Don't throw in the towel, because they won't.

If you have questions beyond this, I would be happy to talk offline.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They have all day today to work on the new drill.

Since the title of this thread is Stillwater, MN, I think I can safely talk about corps other than Madison that were in the show.

Pacific Crest was a great surprise to me. Their movement and sound were far beyond what I'd expected from them. I'm glad I'll see them in Long Beach in a couple of weeks.

I was happy to see the improvement in Minnesota Brass's show in the past two weeks. The drum solo and the jam at the end are so cool. I hope their trumpet soloist, Tom Jones, recovers. It looked like he took a bad tumble, and was helped off the field.

SCV's sound was spectacular. It's a good as Phantom's (seen in another show). The Ravel closer has always been a favorite of mine, and one I'd never dream coupld be drumcorps-ized. SCV made it sound like Ravel wrote it for drum corps.

Southwind is really coming along, and they deserve the good scores they're getting. Spirit is undoubtedly good, but I expected a show with -- well, more spirit! I'll have to see them again to judge more fairly.

I didn't get to hear Chops at all, and only a little of the Govies. The Govies sound is very clean and balanced from what I heard. Good luck to our Minnesota cousins!

And yes, the Scouts -- I was blown away by the inventiveness of their warm-up drill. It may have been the best part of their show. (Excuse me, but it's that good.) The music wasn't the kind -- as melodic -- as you'd expect from the Scouts. I'd like to hear more of their fine soloists. You expect that from the Scouts, too.

It was fabulous to see the large stands at Stillwater completely full. (And they did pack us into the seats pretty tightly.) There must have been 500 fans on the back side, too! The weather was perfect for the fans. Congratulations to the show organizers, Hall of Famer Scotty Wild (for Minnesota Brass), and Dave Eckberg, for the best Drambuie -- I mean Drum Beauty -- in years.

SCV's sound was spectacular. It's a good as Phantom's (seen in another show).

Yes, I whole-heartedly agree! I've been saying this since the start of the season, but because Vanguard's been scoring low in brass I don't think anyone believes me.

I have absolutely no idea why Vanguard is scoring so low in brass. :huh: Their book is without a doubt the most difficult in the top 6 this season, and their sound is absolutely gorgeous!

Since the title of this thread is Stillwater, MN, I think I can safely talk about corps other than Madison that were in the show.

It was fabulous to see the large stands at Stillwater completely full. (And they did pack us into the seats pretty tightly.) There must have been 500 fans on the back side, too! The weather was perfect for the fans. Congratulations to the show organizers, Hall of Famer Scotty Wild (for Minnesota Brass), and Dave Eckberg, for the best Drambuie -- I mean Drum Beauty -- in years.

AND, it was the debut of MBI's own Mini-Corps, Minne-Brass. We performed for the crowd before the show began to warm up the audience.

We were well received, and we thank Scotty Wild and Dave Eckberg for the opportunity to perform in this venue!

create peace,

Brent

The DCA sheets are a little bit more complicated to calculate the final scores from the captions and subcaptions. The recaps do not match the DCI system of scoring. With those two pieces of information, I believe that it would be confusing for people to decifer information and for DCI to "change" their online recap system.

create peace,

Brent

Last year, the DCA recaps were just posted as PDF files. There was a link to these at the bottom of the scores page, somehting that isn't hard to include. This year, nothing...

since dca corps are competing are there dca people who can put the scores on the dca site?

That would be nice, but I'm doubtful it would happen. These aren't DCA-sanctioned shows. Maybe if there was a separate judging panel brought in for the DCA corps and they were run as two shows in one... But I think there would be re$triction$ on that idea.

Edited by CallipygianKing

There are a bunch of great corps out there this year.

Congratulations to all the corps that participated in Stillwater, MN. It was a GREAT show.

Loved hearing Music of the Night and Send in the Clowns from SCV during the encore. What a classy organization!

I did not realize that members and alumni actually went to their knees during Send in the Clowns.

I think the modified bottle dance by the low brass will bring down the house at Finals. I'm not sure everybody recognized it during performance.

create peace,

Brent

I think the modified bottle dance by the low brass will bring down the house at Finals. I'm not sure everybody recognized it during performance.

We have an old-school SCV alumni marching guard with us this year. She could hardly contain herself when she saw that in Mankato... It's a shame that she had to fly our before SCV's concert on Sunday night.

And yes, the Scouts -- I was blown away by the inventiveness of their warm-up drill. It may have been the best part of their show. (Excuse me, but it's that good.)

It is that good. It is a pity that it's not a part of the show that's being judged.

I understand the Scouts' intent to make entering/exiting the field and warm-ups "part of the show," but I think they should yank out something from the show proper (to create the required time) and make the entrance/exit part of the judged portion so they can get some points for it.

Edited by Randy Salas

When they went down to their knees, I thought, "Are they?!!?" Then I immediately doubted that it was coming. What control of their bodies they have performing that move and coming out of it!! As good as any past SCV colorguards.