Kaleidoscope Klassic

Since these weren't posted yet...

1 San Francisco Renegades 71.813

2 River City Regiment 66.613

3 SoCal Dream 63.250

I haven't seen the recaps, but does anyone know if there was any specific reason for the flip flop between RCR and Dream? I have seen both shows 2 times now and it doesn't make sense to me, but then again California All-Age Corps judging doesn't make much sense to me.

RCR has a great music book when the soprano soloist plays those solos its like butter, good job man. Unfortunately the impact is lacking due to the small numbers in the hornline. That being said it is one of my favorite books of the year. The baritone soloist is pretty great also.

Dream has grown up and I really like what I see and hear. 20 horns? I think that is what I saw, but the blend other than a sop getting a little too excited here and there, was really nice. I think some good things will happen for this corps real soon.

I also did not get to see Dream, as we were in stand by... but I do know that the horn line and percussion were gellin' like magellon, and the color guard was ON FIRE! ^0^

Hi All

I can tell you what I know, after seeing our recaps and talking to the head judge.

Please understand that this is my opinion, as director of the corps on the tilted side of the scoring.

Keep these things in mind: Renegades and Dream BOTH dropped in excess of two points, and RCR went up to match. As Glen says, they (RCR) had their best show...congrats to the corps! Its aways exciting to 'know' when that rush hits you!

Dream did not have thier best show as a unit, however our Contra line was on fire, and I thought from my POV ( next to the judges ) that the corps was well balanced, though reserved. Although I do not intend on posting the recaps ( they should be on DCA's website anyway), the drops were all over the scores, not concentrated in unit. Oddly enough, Dream took Ensemble Visual, which many past members and fans can attest to has been an historic weakness. We will play to this strength, and clean up the areas that make sense.

Its my opinion that the absense of our closer is a problem, which will be corrected at our next opportunity. We're still shy about two minutes of show material.

Although I do not understand how Drum Corps at any level, in any classification, at any time, should be judged by what is NOT present, as opposed to what IS present (and a strong denial from those in the know), its impossible to say that this was not a factor.

Needless to say, I congradulate our friends in both Sacramento and San Francisco, and look forward to LMS13 ( LMS LA2, Friday the 13th), Long Beach, and Calabasas.

I hope all of our friends and fans check out the closer, its a wild ride though many familiar Star Trek melodies.

See you there!

Hey a baritone fan, nice... Thanks. I must say having a good horn instructor makes a huge difference. I sound much different thanks to the help of one George Miles. You can get more info on George from our website (rcrdbc.org) But those that know him know what I am talking about. I never marched a single step in Drum Corps when I started with RCR in 2004. Now I am feeling like I belong out there.

Dream you sound good as a group. I don't know what it is, maybe instruction; maybe just traveling; but it seems like it could be a bit fuller at parts of the show. I didn't feel like I was hearing all the brass. Well maybe its just from being in RCR where everyone has to play out more. The current ending is a bit odd also. It just doesnt fit to me. A nice exit and walk away, it seems to be leading somewhere though... It's a weird stop for sure. Something more to grab the attention of the judges I hope is what is being put togather for the closer. The drill is pretty nice at the start, I like the contra line being featured a bit. That was good. Heck I am starting to write a review here... lol. It will be a great show with a few more tweaks and getting the closer done. Some nice spots in there.

I hit about everything I could at the Modesto show. My best performance by far not just this year, but maybe in the 4 years I have been with RCR. We were definitley on our game. Thing is we were just getting started... I am sure it would have been even better by the time we hit Modesto #2.

Yeah I would like to hear the ending of the show as well. It's great that we have corps to compete against. It's always what we talk about, how we stack up to Dream. Well, aside from trying to catch the renegades. lol. You can dream can't you. We just need a whole lot more rehearsal time. It can be done though. Your turn Dream... I like the Renegades and wish them well at DCA also. The show is pretty cool in design and catchy tunes as always. I love the arrangement of the ballad. Good stuff.

Scores shmores (at our level anything can happen and usually does).

Did you have fun?