Bluecoats 2007 One Stop Shop

Canton Bluecoats 2007  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the show overall?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Take it or leave it.
  2. 2. What would you say 'Coats strength is this year?

• Brass
    • Percussion
    • Guard
    • Visual package
    • Overall show design/cohesion of concept
  3. 3. What would you say 'Coats weakness is this year?

• Brass
    • Percussion
    • Guard
    • Visual Package
    • Overall show design/cohesion of concept

So, everyone else gets a thread...here's one for Bluecoats.

After further review, this show...in places...seems to have more bite in places that previous years. The opener is a very strong statement in and of itself.

Critical analysis goes out window, though, after repeat viewings for the feeling I get about the show overall. I have no issue with sections of the corps...it's very strong overall... more of just a hunch I get watching it.

It seems, in certain parts....that the Bluecoats are reverting back to the cute, "slide-whistle whimsy" of previous years that seems to break up the intensity of the program. It's not necessarily the "Miranda Rights" spoken parts, but the last half of the show seems to drag after that silent drill section.

That, and the overall theme of "Criminal" feels like it should be darker, but the guard prison unis/police nods and so on serve to lighten the mood almost to the point of BD's 1996 "Club Blue", which I'm not sure is what they were going for.

Does anyone else get this feeling?

Regardless, it's nice to see Bluecoats continue to sit right there in the thick of things in the upper echelons of DCI.

Edited by bawker

Got to see the show in Normal a couple nights ago and I'll be seeing it again in Centerville tonight. It does seem like the second part of the show leaves a little something to be desired compared to the first half, although apparently there's more "plot" that is going to be put in.

Strength would probably be the brass line, esp. the contra section. That's probably the most "involved" contra section I've heard in a show this year.

I'd agree with your assessment on the ballad- that seems to be a weaker section of the show. It doesn't really "fit" with the rest of what's going on. Also, the part where the hornline ducks out of sight for about 45 seconds or so while the battery does their thing- there should be SOMETHING going on there, not just "Let's hide the brass so they won't distract from the drums and guard"

And I'll just come out and say it- since it's a "prison" show, wouldn't it be fitting for the guard to pull some flags out of their ###? :P

And I'll just come out and say it- since it's a "prison" show, wouldn't it be fitting for the guard to pull some flags out of their ###? :P

:lolhit:

...another way to make the show more "hard core"...one of the guard members can shank another in the opening sequence. :P

In my limited viewing I couldn't really tell you what their weak spot is. They look pretty strong across the board. Maybe many others are in the same boat? Rather than pick something where you can objectively (sort of) evaluate talent & technique (i.e. brass, percussion, guard) the votes are being cast in the more ambiguous areas of visual package/show design. Just a thought. I was actually hoping there would be an option for "no weak link"...

Bias noted, I believe this to be the most layered and advanced Blueocats program to date. If given a choice between a weakness in performance and a weakness in design, I will take the weakness in performance==at least at this time of the year, as performance cleans through the season. I will say though, I wish DCI would update the Encore videos...much has changed since Annapolis.

Looking back on sections, I would agree with MDetch that the horns hide behind the props too long. Is there enough time to teach the horns the "Smooth Criminal" dance? Also, I would have to believe that the drums will be doing more than the just the "arch" thing by season's end.

As far as the Miranda section, the part leading up to it needs something. How about dropping the beat box thing and instead inserting an appropriate tune for the visual feel, especially since the corps is kinda running away; there are about 40 counts there, so, if the front ensemble broke into "Bad Boys" I would absolutely die, especially given the Miranda section that follows.

There is a ton of untapped potential for this show to grow. Musically, it is solid. As the season continues, more and more elements will be added. If 2004-2006 is any indication, then the last two weeks will be a tremendous visual boost. I expect some changes for the ending. To me, it seems the drill tends to occupy the same "circular" area for too long. The drill movement in the ending is fast and intense, but I think it kinda loses something in translation. I believe the ending is the one area that will receive the most modifications.

Elmo Blatch

Edited by Elmo Blatch

I just went over my own personal reviews of the show from Annapolis, Toledo and Kzoo. After taking the above comments into consideration, I found myself looking at the show from a different angle.

Execution is definitely NOT a problem for the Coats. They have strong technique in visual, play very well in brass and percussion and the guard does a nice job. I have said on 2 occasions that they lack velocity and this is hurting them in the GE Visual category. I still think this is an ultimate problem in the end but there's something else to consider.

I keep hearing that the ballad is missing something. Upon listening alone, it fits really well with the theme of the show. What's missing is the visual support and continuation of the story line. The corps proper (brass especially) being the POLICE need more to do in the way of ROLE contribution in the plot. Signature Visuals need to be added and repeated that give them a bad### COP look and feel.

It almost seems like the show forgets about CRIMIN_L in the ballad and plays drum corps with no thematic support. The guard is integrated in a traditional sense and doesn't contribute to the overall theme. THe "I'll be watching YOU" vocal doesn't fit at this point. Who's watching what?

Shouldn't this be more like a night time scene in the prison? Or is this where the criminal/guard is pulling a job? If either were to be the case, the drill and individual visual does not support the thought process. I see the briefcases and handcuff .... but why? What's the message?

Dare I say some cheesy Tarps would help to stage the field properly and help you convey your theme better? Then you could have the prison cell ... the YARD ... the crime scene et al. Let's go a step further ......... the criminal is already caught before the show even starts. So I would think the entire should would take place while in jail ... or is the yard break supposed to be an escape from prison? I only saw it as a riot and nothing more. THe other problem with the riot scene is that the "COPS"/hornline do the silent drill thing and ....... "anything you PLAY can and will be held against you"? WHo's the criminal now? It's a nice and cute/rewarding effect .. but it blows your story line.

I'm a bit shocked at myself for not thinking about this stuff sooner .. but to be honest I've been BLINDED by the power of the corps and their stunning performance level. If DREW is out there and reading this ..... I hope there is discussion taking place that will clarify some of these things for ANYONE and EVERYONE that sees the show. It really should be obvious. With all that ..... yyyeeeesh is there potential to make something super cool out of this show. I just hope you make the time address these things .... if you feel they are as important as I do.

Signed,

Raging fan who's now utterly confused :huh:

Firstoff, I'm loving Criminal. After the quasi-debacle that was 2003, it almost sounds like "Capture and Escape" done correctly. And for any of you out there who may have marched 03, take a listen to the closer, then go back to your original first draft of "Snared." Hear something familiar? lol

I think the strength this year lies with the drumline, though in terms of single sections, I'd have to go with the contras. Not only are they holding their own, but those 12 guys are adding a ton of personality to the show with their playing (and Doug's arranging!)

Weakness? I'd have to go with the visual package. They're hauling through most of the show, but it doesn't always seem to have a big payoff. Look at SCV this year, or Cavaliers 01-02 for an example of how to move all the time and still always create effect. I think while trying to compete for the title, "filler" drill needs to be cut out. It's nowhere near as bad as the Bluecoats track meet in 04 (TONS of running, but nowhere near the effect there should have been considering all that movement), but it's still got a little ways to go.

I'm predicting a medal for Blue this year. As to what color, I'm gonna just wait and see.

Can't wait for the home show on Saturday!

OKay, these have been bugging me for a while...

Does anyone else hear the phrase from the 2003 in there?

Anyone else seen Centerville HS 1998, and recognize the similar music?