PR's "Firebird" (& other arrangmenst)

Ballad from "Lakme'" was a gorgeous duet between two horns, and it does seem to drag on... until the FFF hit with the melodic phrase. If it were me writting it, I would have axed the 2nd reprise of the duet & went right into the "Suggestion Diabolique", this providing more space and time to play more OF the "Firebird".

I agree on the ballad...the last reprise of the duet seemed to be one too many....I said pretty much that in the review forum.

It IS beautiful though.

Overly critical? Yes and NO. I think they have the pieces to the puzzle ... they just aren't fitting yet. This will be the first TRUE test of PR's design team since they have taken over (IMHO). If they rest on what they have ..... this show will drop to the ground like a Mallard in Duck Hunting Season. If they make the necessary changes .... nothing more need be said.

I agree. I hated the '05 opener until late July. I hated the closer until early August. PR has become what the Cadets were in the 80's through the early '90's. Changing, changing, changing... especially during the last two weeks. Cadets in 87, 89, 90, 92, 93 are akk examples. Regiment has done this in 05 and 06. It seems to pay off. Regiment is much more apt to make an upward move finals week with this staff than the corps EVER was in the past.

I agree. I hated the '05 opener until late July. I hated the closer until early August. PR has become what the Cadets were in the 80's through the early '90's. Changing, changing, changing... especially during the last two weeks. Cadets in 87, 89, 90, 92, 93 are akk examples. Regiment has done this in 05 and 06. It seems to pay off. Regiment is much more apt to make an upward move finals week with this staff than the corps EVER was in the past.

Back before we marched, Judd, I always got the feeling that the philosophy was to come out of the gate with a very polished and clean product, and then continue to clean it until it sparkled. That led to early undefeated seasons in 1989 and 1990, but as other corps caught up, Regiment stagnated a bit. In 1991, it seemed to me that we purposefully did not start cleaning until much later in the season (am I remembering that right, Chris?) I remember that we were still dirty as heck as far as DCI South, and then we spent the remainder of the season cleaning and adding little tweaks. We took that to the extreme in 1992, but were not able to clean all the way, obviously, and it really paid off for us in 1993, when we started off with a 64.0 and only dropped in score two or three times all year, ending up with the 96.2 we had at Finals.

I don't know that I can expect the same satisfaction out of a drum corps arrangement. If Stravinsky had wanted the ballet to end with a 2-minute flourish from a 135-member brass, percussion, and visual ensemble, he probably would have written it that way :P

That being said, eh, could be better, could be worse. For trying to fit as much of a hodgepodge of material into a show (rather than 12 continuous minutes of direct transcription), I'm fairly pleased with what I'm hearing.

Nonetheless, I'd prefer to hear longer note values in the firebird portion of the show, with more clarity of articulation in place of such a wide space between notes (the choppy "8th note/8th rest" sound doesn't do it for me.) Rockford is closer to Chicago than New York or Boston, after all!

Ok -- I JUST downloaded the APD of Elizabeth PA. Have listened to it 5X already...

In the "Vspertine" there is some subtle/noticeable changes in the mid horns. Same brass tradeoffs are heard in the "1000 Airplanes" and ther are DEFINATELY some volume intonations/adjustments It's no longer top heavy in the sopranos/trumpets - but I did hear one late release in the trumpets at the cut off. Probablly due to the re-write, etc. They have made some tweaking in the baritone/euph parts to trade off with the mellos & sopranos and there are now escalating (??) riff on all the chord progressions in "Airplaines" especially prevelant in the HUGE chord progression where the pit leads them into a FFFF, say at around time stamp: 2:31 onward culminating at that ending at 3:04 to the decdrescendo. Note the subtle change in pit (mariba) parts in the close of the ensemble leading into the "Lakme" duet. The sopranos have alot more fluent sound, than reading for that high note. The Flugle has a better ending note than previous APD heard.

The "Suggestion........" well, what to say about this piece hmmmm..... There seemed more clarity in the Contra's and baritones -- and the exchanges between all four horn parts are REALLY clear & prevelent in this recording. Not sure if the prev APD was a bit distant, muffled or if these are indeed diffinitive changes, which to my trained ear -- are indeed new intonations & changes. Listen to th brass back up the pit after the percusion feature.... right into a cymbal diminuendo into the solo in FireBird - which was a bit muffed, but nicely salvaged! (:)) Kudos to the soloist for that!

There are several changes for the better, many in the ensemble, SEVERAL in the brass so that they play along WITH the ensemble - this is especially apparent in, as this thread was started for, in the "Lakme' " -- there are noticeable changes. The "Firebird".... especially with the addition of the marimbas starting the intro into "Bird" with the percussion, and the onset of the solo. The low brass add alot as they seque into the solo in the Stravinsy....... The Chimes ADD LOTS! Good move! All in all, I LOVED the changes I heard.

Will see/hear them LIVE where I meet up w/the corps & vulnteering with them in NJ & travel to DCI East in Allentown. My sponsor this year is the Mello Section Leader & horn Sergent, Lee Bowers. Cant wait to meet him in person and give him a check for his PR Dues. I'm so looking forward to Saturday & will add some comment & a pic or two when I get back & sleep on Sunday.

As a side note, I KNOW (can FEEL & HEARD it comin in the next two weeks) there are rewrites happening behind the scenes, JD Shaw is magical at this point in the season. just look at 2006! C'mon visual folks, Jamey.... turn on our ear begging for more will ya? I really need a diffinitive 'corpsgasm' like last year! '

Unable to attend finals, and this seems like another 1996 in the making for Regiment --- WISH I COULD BE THERE ! I will be, though via spirit and a ticket to the CineCast at QTRS

GO PHOR IT PHANTOM !!!!!!

I luv you guys -- and ALL Drum Corps, but I hold a VERY SPECIAL PLACE in my heart for Regiment as they were my late Grandmother's favorite! Regiment Pit members.... look for the red roses along the sideline as you play in Allentown. This was THE LAST PLACE my Grandmother Hele Williams ever heard/saw Regiment LIVE while she was alive.... god Rest her Soul..... I'll save a seat for you Gramma .....better yet, you can have mine! But, you'll have a much better vantage point than I will from Heaven -- just please, PLEASE don't let it rain!

I LOVE YOU GRAMMA...... this one trip is especially for you !!! (and my sponsor Lee)