Bluecoats Win! Biggest Upset in Drum Corps History

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this the biggest upset in DCI history? Or name your top five upsets.

I'm sure there are some dooooozies from back in the days of the tick system. As for modern day scoring drum corps (post 1983) ..... I can't think of one. Although, much can be said for Suncoast back in 1984 jumping from 13th to 6th in one year, but they stayed there (or close) consistently until they closed shop.

Madison's win in 88 was considered an upset for quite some time. They weren't really on the radar going in to Championships ..... hence the phrase "DARK HORSE". Most thought it would be BD and SCV beating each other up for the ring. There are a few COME FROM BEHINDS .... but never from a corps that hadn't won a title in the past.... well maybe Star :sleeping: (I for one, saw that coming since 88)

Remember Marquis from Fond du Lac, Wisconsin? They once beat Phantom Regiment during the 1976 season. Phantom went on to place 4th at the DCI World Championships. Marquis finished in 16th.

Someone else can enlighten us about a post-DCI show (Wildwood?) when North Star beat Bridgemen, reversing a spread of several points and placements from the DCI World finals.

I mentioned this in another thread, but I think any time a corps places in the top four the previous year, one shouldn't be surprised at anything the next season. That's why I don't think Bluecoats' victory over Blue Devils and Cavaliers is a "big upset." It would be an upset if they weren't all that good this year, which having seen them in Kalamazoo, is clearly not the case. Bluecoats are very real, and while it's a banner date in their corps history, it's not an upset, IMHO.

Edited by Michael Boo

I mentioned this in another thread, but I think any time a corps places in the top four the previous year, one shouldn't be surprised at anything the next season. That's why I don't think Bluecoats' victory over Blue Devils and Cavaliers is a "big upset." It would be an upset if they weren't all that good this year, which having seen them in Kalamazoo, is clearly not the case. Bluecoats are very real, and while it's a banner date in their corps history, it's not an upset, IMHO.

Agree 100%

In that case, Southwind overtaking Scouts?

That doesn't qualify either. Overtaking Scouts on their A game .. and overtaking Scouts in the midst of sweeping changes and rebuilding are NOT the same thing. If Southwind had overtaken Scouts in any year prior to .... let's say ........ 1999, that would be another story.

While I agree to a certain extent, I have trouble NOT considering this an upset due to the Historical strength of corps like Cadets, Cavies and BD; as well as their "front runner" strength thus far in 2007. Knocking off not 1 but 2 front runner juggernauts in the same night, while being consistently down by over a point every night leading up to the event, is pretty darn impressive! I guess I have mixed feelings but I'm leaning more toward UPSET.