Touring and whether D1 corps should be allowed to do partial tours

There was quite a bit of controversy this summer over corps like The Academy and whether they should be allowed to participate as a D1 corps in the capasity that they did with the benefits they got. For a while, I was very torn on the issue and agreed with some of the people that were complaining about it. Now, after thinking longer and harder about it...I'm actually wondering if it not only should be allowed...but should it maybe even be the way to go or even REQUIRED for more Division 1 corps...maybe even MOST Division 1 corps. With the price of fule and overall financial demands of a corps in general, I wonder of corps would survive longer and have better success taking this rout.

Here are some points I have considered.

- Less touring = stronger budget: Corps would have more longevity and run less of a risk of folding if they did not tour between 75-90 days out of the year. This would allow corps to spend money in other ways that could be more beneficial to the educational value of the corps...such as staff - as in offering a better dollar to recieve a better result from staff members or even better staff period. A corps would also have more money to work with for spending money on equipment.

- Less touring = smaller need for large tour fees: Lets face it, drum corps is for the kid with rich parents now. Thousands of dollars go into just one kid's tour fee in most Division 1 corps these days. Parents have to take out loans now for their kids to march. I've even heard of some parents who knowing that their kid will want to march drum corps someday...or want them to themselves are setting up both a "college fund" and a "drum corps fund". While that sounds great on the surface...knowing that the activity is getting better support than it used to...it's sad that it's that difficult for a kid with middle class parents to afford to march. What if, kids only had to pay half of what the normal going rate is?

- Less touring = more balanced life for the drum corps kid (and staff) When I talk to kids who are in corps that tour full time and then talk to kids who tour part time (I met some Academy kids last year in fact), it seems like the kids in the part time touring corps are...well...if I may be this honest...MORE NORMAL! They can have days where they can jump in the pool or go to the beach and live a normal teenage summer life and still have the benefits of drum corps. In addition, they can take summer classes easier if need be (depending on the type of class)...and here is a big one...BE AT THEIR HIGH SCHOOL OR COLLEGE BAND CAMP! Now lets think about that one for a minute. We all know that there are HUNDREDS of high school and college band directors out there who have a bad taste in their mouth over drum corps because kids miss summer band camps and activities that are important to the growth and stability of their band programs...and yes...that IS important. If a kid can march drum corps and hardly (if at all) skip a beat with their band programs...don't you think a good percentage of those directors would have a better attitude about the activity? I do.

Now I know some people will say that because the corps rehearses less and tours and performs less that the quality of the corps' performance would go down. Well, two years ago, there was no way to argue with that because we had yet to see a corps be at a finalist contending level who was only a part time touring corps. This past season, we were esposed to The Academy who despite what critics may say...PROVED that a corps can perform at that level with only a partial tour and not rehearsing every day. Something to think about. Enjoy discussing!

Edited by dsb2007

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was quite a flamed troll over a topic (http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=101095&hl=) that was a result of this particular topic - partial/limited tour. ***Hopefully, this topic will not be taken out of context as mine was. :grrr:

I am in favor of the partial/limited tour... for the reasons expressed in the opening statement and I'm sure for other reasons I can think of while I'm not at work. :grrr: In particular, to provide the best possible experience for the members. How many of us had the privilege to be in a corps that also put you on a diet? ^OO^

So, yeah, I'm in favor for it...BUT, what about the implications oif a partial/limited tour? This is where my discussion kicks in. Yes, I was a loose cannon in the start of my thread, but the ultimate subject was the disclosed statement/rule by DCI.org that the appearance order in the San Antonio regional is based upon placement in Atlanta regional. No acceptions were disclosed, and that raised a flag about a few corps that were not going on first based on this disclosure/rule.

My only request to DCI is, stick to your rule or disclose an exception(s) that everyone has agreed upon. After attending the show in San Antone, I must say that it would have been silly to see Academy go on first - for ablility, alone.

Moving forward, does anyone know yet if any corps will be doing a partial/limited tour next season? Anyone moving into DIV I from II? 10-12 was quite exciting this year and looking forward to next!!

:angel:

- Less touring = more balanced life for the drum corps kid (and staff) When I talk to kids who are in corps that tour full time and then talk to kids who tour part time (I met some Academy kids last year in fact), it seems like the kids in the part time touring corps are...well...if I may be this honest...MORE NORMAL! They can have days where they can jump in the pool or go to the beach and live a normal teenage summer life and still have the benefits of drum corps. In addition, they can take summer classes easier if need be (depending on the type of class)...and here is a big one...BE AT THEIR HIGH SCHOOL OR COLLEGE BAND CAMP! Now lets think about that one for a minute. We all know that there are HUNDREDS of high school and college band directors out there who have a bad taste in their mouth over drum corps because kids miss summer band camps and activities that are important to the growth and stability of their band programs...and yes...that IS important. If a kid can march drum corps and hardly (if at all) skip a beat with their band programs...don't you think a good percentage of those directors would have a better attitude about the activity? I do.

I have to disagree with this point here, specifically in regards to the relationship of drum corps members with their high school bands. I think deep down, just about every HS band teacher knows that any one of their students who marches drum corps will come back to band stronger, more knowledgeable, in better playing shape, and more ready to learn than any student who didn't march, and that's regardless of whether they attended summer band rehearsals or not. Unfortunately, "Band Director Ego" gets in the way of allowing them to miss summer band rehearsals, and they don't let them march. These band teachers want THEMSELVES to be the only source of musical growth for their students. I know it seems like I'm painting band teachers with a broad brush, but this attitude does exist with some of them.

Also, why do you want drum corps kids to be more normal?? :P

I think deep down, just about every HS band teacher knows that any one of their students who marches drum corps will come back to band stronger, more knowledgeable, in better playing shape, and more ready to learn than any student who didn't march, and that's regardless of whether they attended summer band rehearsals or not.

The caveat to this will be the band director who's idea of a good marching bad is teh suxorz...then the dc kid won't be very happy and may even turn into the proverbial "bad apple."

I've seen it happen :)

Ive heard rumors from some alumni that Jersey Surf applied for Regional Div 1

Holy crap! Are you serious? I've had the privilege of seeing them in the past couple of years and, IMH, they are incredible. If this is true, they'll be another Academy, for sure - so good for them!

How much more interesting can the bottom of the top get...?

I have to disagree with this point here, specifically in regards to the relationship of drum corps members with their high school bands. I think deep down, just about every HS band teacher knows that any one of their students who marches drum corps will come back to band stronger, more knowledgeable, in better playing shape, and more ready to learn than any student who didn't march, and that's regardless of whether they attended summer band rehearsals or not. Unfortunately, "Band Director Ego" gets in the way of allowing them to miss summer band rehearsals, and they don't let them march. These band teachers want THEMSELVES to be the only source of musical growth for their students. I know it seems like I'm painting band teachers with a broad brush, but this attitude does exist with some of them.

I'm not desputing that directors see the value of a kid's educational benefits of marching drum corps nor do I doubt for a minute that directors realize how much better of an asset that kid will be to the program. What I disagree with in your point is that the director wants themselves to be the only source of musical and educational growth for their students. I don't think I've ever met a band director who doesn't want their students to get as much out of their music education as they can. I do however think that directors have an obligation to provide the very best for their programs and having kids miss an entire summer puts directors in a tough position which is why some directors do discourage it. Either way, I still think that if the majority of Division 1 corps only did a limited tour, more directors would give a head nod.

Holy crap! Are you serious? I've had the privilege of seeing them in the past couple of years and, IMH, they are incredible. If this is true, they'll be another Academy, for sure - so good for them!

How much more interesting can the bottom of the top get...?

I agree with you! Jersey Surf was amazing last year. Them and Spartans were easily at the same level as Academy in 06. If Jersey Surf really does make this move I will... :grrr::rock::grrr::grrr::worthy: I hope this rumor is true!

I agree with you! Jersey Surf was amazing last year. Them and Spartans were easily at the same level as Academy in 06. If Jersey Surf really does make this move I will... :grrr::rock::grrr::grrr::worthy: I hope this rumor is true!

I'm still wow'ed. Since Surf and Spartans were in such a tight race this year, has anyone heard about Spartans' thoughts on DIV I? Talk about making it more interesting... ^OO^