MY OC corps at a DCA show proposal

Hokay, so here we go.

For purposes of this discussion, I am focusing on California only...mostly SoCal

Let’s presume a few things:

1) DCA-West has been established and the Srs can run their own show

2) DCA corps would, of necessity, follow all DCA rules....but for purposes of the overall show, the OCs get some leeway (explained later)

3) Any DCA shows take place after the western DCI tour...limits it to one or 2 shows, but them’s the breaks.

4) Some OCs do not plan to go to Indy for whatever reason, so their entire season is in-state.

The Srs could certainly run their own show with DCA judging...that would allow them to get a later season read and scoring than they’re currently getting (mid July or so)...but it’s going to be hard to draw a paying crowd for a 2-4 corps show (depending on what region and who comes out....resume En Garde is active for this)

You also have DCI OCs that have a tour that finishes in mid July...but there’s a month left in the DCI season....a month that would be spent doing corps if these guys went to Indy.

So let’s put ‘em together.

Here are the California OCs doing national this season

BDB

SCVC

VK

Those NOT going this year

BDC

Gold

Impulse

Incognito

Mystikal

Of the 5 not going, 4 are in the Los Angeles region.

The last SoCal show was July 12 in Long Beach.

After then there are 4 weeks until DCI...4 weeks left of the usual commitment for the kids before school preparations.

There can certainly be a show or 2 put in that time frame....it would take rehearsal time away from the Srs, but a performance can often times serve just as well...let’s say July 25 or 26.

If all the non-touring SoCal corps get together and join a DCA West/LA show, there’s a 7 corps lineup, comparable to some World Class shows on tour now.

If you were to move the show further upstate (Cal Poly Sal Luis Obispo??) It could be a day trip and you could add in Renegades, Freelancers, BDC...even BDB and SCVC if the don’t go to Indy...10 to 12 corps!

That’s a nice lineup.

Make it a Saturday show so those returning home don’t have to contend with going to work or school the following day...easier for anyone traveling up to schedule arrival in time to start practice....means around a 4am-ish depart time from home, plus a breakfast stop on the way.

You’d still have to arrange practice locations, but housing would not be an issue. Food’s another matter, but most touring corps have that figured already.

Depending on the number of participants, have a full corps retreat....this will serve as “finals” for some corps....give ‘em the experience.

Judge EVERYONE on DCA sheets (condolences to Renegades,’cause BDC will kick your ### in the “cute” caption!). If a corps uses electronics, amps, or anything else not allowed under DCA rules, either assess a point penalty, or just freakin’ ignore it! This is about performance, not scoring...but JUDGE the use of those items accordingly.

If you’re THAT worried about non-DCA gear...give the OCs a separate division and judge ‘em on DCI sheets.

Or heck...just judge the Srs on DCA sheets and let the audience judge the OCs....let them take the safeties off and enjoy themselves.

Isn’t it more important to get more performances out there than fret about the equipment differences between DCA and DCI? Put on a comp for the Srs, let the OCs cut loose, and let the audience have some fun....everyone wins.

It doesn’t HAVE to be all about the competition.

Obviously, while this idea might work in California, with it's large amount of corps, it might be less feasible elsewhere....a local Sr would have to adjust for their OC sitiuation.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You got MY vote :thumbup:

Too bad I have neither a vote nor any influence on anyone who DOES.

Heck, that hypothetical SLO show would be a nice excuse to take a little mini-vacation out on your coast !

You got MY vote :thumbup:

Too bad I have neither a vote nor any influence on anyone who DOES.

Heck, that hypothetical SLO show would be a nice excuse to take a little mini-vacation out on your coast !

The only prob with SLO from a logistics standpoint is no parking that I could see near the stadium when I drove through the campus a couple of weeks back....it's in the middle of the property...then again, the wife and I were trying to find the freeway,so I didn't look around that much.

Can you imagine the tourney....sponsored by the Madonna Inn?? :drool:

The only prob with SLO from a logistics standpoint is no parking that I could see near the stadium when I drove through the campus a couple of weeks back....it's in the middle of the property...then again, the wife and I were trying to find the freeway,so I didn't look around that much.

Can you imagine the tourney....sponsored by the Madonna Inn?? :thumbup:

Yeah, each corps sponsored by a room - And to make it even better, the corps is required to match the theme of the room :drool: !

DCA?? :thumbup::drool::mad:

To borrow from a more prolific poster than myself - SUBMIT A BID :lol: !

To borrow from a more prolific poster than myself - SUBMIT A BID :thumbup: !

Well....it's just a thought right now....but maybe when the west region gets established it'll move closer to reality.

*the local idea....not DCA itself*

Ya gotta dream, baby!

Edited by 84BDsop

Hmmmm, let's see . . . Local corps in local shows . . . weekend shows . . . smaller corps not going to Indy for DCI championships having more opportunities to perform and/or compete in August . . .

Sounds strangely like the way things used to be way back, when not every corps could afford a trip to national contests. I think it sounds like a great idea, and not just for Southern California either.

Sam, I think you're onto to something!

Taking the idea to a logical conclusion, it COULD evolve into a DCA Western Championship, for those corps who could afford to come to CA, but not go to the east...kinda like the sr corps version of the NIT tourney in college hoops.