SCV '88 or '89

Me personally, I prefer the '88 version, mostly because of the 'newness' aspect. Musically, arrangement-wise, and drill wise I'd probably pick '89. I think the arrangements especially were better and drill was crazy (oh, I like the masks on the whole corps and the Masquerade masks in the pit). However, I think the "WOW" factor was greater in '88, mainly because it was 'fresh'. I especially like the opening from under the tarp, the DIAGONAL company front at the end, and especially the WHOLE CORPS DISAPPERING!!! and the Phantom REAPPERING in '88. I guess I really just want to combine the two show's best features and create one show, but I don't think that technology is permitted (yet).

What are your opinions?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always thought the 88 show was better.

The 89 show had all sorts of very obvious execution errors. Holes, missed forms, and fracked solos to name a few. IMO you can't talk about how this the major leagues and try to compare it to the olympics and then ignore execution errors and give a record high score.

I liked the all male rifle line in 88. In 89 the Phantom was a girl most of the time which was distracting. I liked pretty much everything about the 88 show better and have always wondered if the people that go on about the 89 show so much have ever seen the 88 version.

I prefer '89. To me the production is more polished. The opening has a haunting quick build. The masks and sequins. Most of all before the big hit to Music of the Night they play backfield for a better effect leading into the company front. And yes I have seen the 88 show. I guess the biggest of the above was the musical score.

Edited by cage

Always preferred 88 to 89, execution was better as was overall show design. Beginning of the show in 88 was much more tasty, drum solo in 89 seemed out of place to me and was dirty as snot.

Wes brought Union H.S. style to SCV and gave em one of the greatest color guard shows in history...choreography was amazing.

Horns and drums had a far more dynamic show in 89 vs. 88.

Loved that SCV did not win in 88 because they gave us 1989!!!!!!!!

1988 push or company front is what SCV has always done best.. 1988 soft, off the line... melted so well into the music of the night... Hated the 88 guard show.. hated.

Edited by Cop

Musically, I like 88 better. But I prefer the total package of 89 better.

told the story better, I thought the show flowed more - and come on they made the whole corps disappear at the end. Well at least for a second everyone in the audience thought they did. You can hear the audible gasp on the recording and then the aww as they all realized how it was done.

told the story better, I thought the show flowed more - and come on they made the whole corps disappear at the end. Well at least for a second everyone in the audience thought they did. You can hear the audible gasp on the recording and then the aww as they all realized how it was done.

I know...as the tarp settles to the field you can almost hear a 'whoosh'. Quite honestly, I think that was the most effective ending to a drum corps show that I've ever seen.