Tanglewood Spectacular

This should be amazing!!!

https://www.bso.org/Performance/Detail/77918

My memories return to when now deceased Dave Welch, Cadet mellophone alum, was doing grad style summer study at Tanglewood with Leonard Bernstein back in the days the Cadets were playing music from Mass. Dave had lined up a private performance of the corps with the Maestro but bus and transportation problems cancelled the event. Thirty years later Cadets are finally getting there because of the great efforts of BAC and BD last summer. Can't wait.

Edited by xandandl

Paging Michael Boo, paging Michael Boo. The "Blue Coats" need your assistance at Tanglewood.

• Like 1

And I always wondered what Bernstein thought (or would have thought, had he heard/seen it) of the Cadets doing Mass in 1983. I know he would have loved the youthful energy and superb musicianship. But I also know he wasn't big generally on adaptations of his compositions. And I remember reading a letter he wrote that was included in the superb book, Letters of Leonard Bernstein (http://www.amazon.com/The-Leonard-Bernstein-Letters/dp/030017909X), in which he praised, if I recall correctly, the Boston Pops' playing of an orchestral suite from Mass but then lamented the absence of the vocal parts... hey, don't get George started...I think what Bernstein might have liked least about Cadets 1983 was the bookending of his work with Ron Nelson's piece... which got the biggest applause at the end with the Z-pull! :tounge2: Really though... he could be surprisingly touchy about stuff like that.

Edited by Peel Paint

Reliable Rondo was MC last year and did a nice job.

I'll second that.

This has turned out to be a great feather in the cap to all those that want to see DCI Drum Corps receive further legitimacy as a serious musical youth endeavor.

• Like 1

This has turned out to be a great feather in the cap to all those that want to see DCI Drum Corps receive further legitimacy as a serious musical youth endeavor.

Now, as this type concert grows, maybe some business who provides educational video's for schools could get the rights to film this for distribution. I wonder if this concert would fit in with the annual Pops concerts (usually with a guest) that are shown on PBS for fund raising.

• Like 1